Just beginning

Options
Hi, my name is Melissa never been on a forum so please forgive my blunders. Need to lose weight, but traditional diets doesn't work for long term. Want something I can do that will be easy to go into maintenance after weight loss.

Replies

• kcnjjt
    kcnjjt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa

I’d recommend writing a list of foods you do enjoy and constructing a meal plan that you can sustain long term.

Including comfort foods so you don’t feel you’ve restricted yourself completely allowing for flexibility.

Have you worked out your tdde requirements?

Always a good indicator to start.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 17
    Options
    Hi @mhaney8689mh welcome to MFP.

I’m going to flip that on its head.

What you’ve probably tried is trend diets.

MFP is about the most traditional “diet” you can do, since it’s simply minding calories in versus calories out. I suppose the only non traditional aspect is that it provides a modern day way to log-providing you weigh accurately.

I’d challenge you to lose the “diet” mentality and think of this as a new way of life, way of eating. Diet implies a temporary fix. Do this slowly and accurately and with new habits that will last a lifetime, so you’re not back in a year having gained all the pounds “+friends” back again.

I’m sorry if I sound smug and trite saying this, but I started at 35+BMI, which was the upper end of the obese category. I’m now smack in the middle of normal. I know it works, but it requires changes.
  • jubrown3
    jubrown3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa, I hope your beginning days have been positive. I started my new effort to lose weight in May of 2023. Logging what I ate was super important & helped be mindful of my calorie choices throughout the day. It also was educational to read about nutrition and other people‘s experiences each day, boosting my motivation.
    I’ve lost 21 pounds and kept it off eight months now, still logging my calories each day. I’m hopeful that my set point will adjust after a year to my lower weight. I’ve read that can happen so our body cooperates, in a sense, with our new lower weight. I’m 73 years old & realized I wanted to be my current weight all my life. What was I waiting for anymore? If you are younger, try to push through this process now and enjoy your new healthier body & life sooner. 💕
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I'll say this- Its not easy but it can be simple.
    Forget "dieting".
    For permanent success, you need to learn and embrace a permanent healthy lifestyle.
    We're all here to help.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa, welcome to My fitness pal. Don't call it a diet, call it a life style change.
    Put all your stats in and your goal and this will tell you your calorie allowance. As long as you eat within those you'll lose weight.
    Add me as a friend if you wish. Ypu can always put a question on the forum and someone will answer 👍 Good luck on your journey xx
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,896 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just started with logging what I was eating, and gradually remodeled my eating habits to reach my calorie goal, feel reasonably full most of the time, and get adequate nutrition while eating food I found tasty, practical and affordable. I lost weight from class 1 obese to healthy weight in a bit under a year, have maintained a healthy weight for 8 years since, so far . . . all eating in that personalized way.

If that idea appeals to you, this thread has more details about that kind of approach:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't be perfect for everyone, because no one thing is. It's just an option to consider.

Whatever you decide, I'm wishing you success: The effort is worth it!