Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss after 50

jciccimarro
jciccimarro Posts: 2 Member
edited July 23 in Motivation and Support
Hello
I’m a 55 year old woman who consistently eats a healthy diet however the last month has not been good.
My question is is it feasible to lose weight with a healthy diet and moderate exercise in your 50s?
Thanks for your help in advance.
J.

Best Answers

• Rdkngcstm
    Rdkngcstm Posts: 1 Member
    Answer ✓
    I'm 54 (man), and I've noticed that if I do not eat healthier and find some mild activity, the pounds just creep up gradually. I've switched to lower carbs and golf/walks more, and that seems to be doing the trick. 54 vs. 40 (when I've done this before) = MUCH different.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    Answer ✓
    Yes, I started MFP at 45 yrs old, it took me 3 yrs to lose 135 lbs, so I was 48 when I reached my goal and have kept it off, with a few up and down fluctuations for 12 yrs. So yes with hard work and consistency anything is possible. My advice just concentrate on 5 or 10 lbs at a time and don’t give up
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,627 Member
    Answer ✓
    I lost about 50 pounds at age 59-60, after being overweight to class 1 obese for most of my adult life. I'm also severely hypothyroid (though properly medicated for it), which I don't think makes a difference but many seem to assume does.

I didn't greatly increase exercise to lose weight, mostly just kept up the same routine I'd been doing for a dozen years while remaining obese. I definitely made changes to my eating habits, finding ways to eat foods I enjoy that added up to reasonable nutrition on average, at appropriate calories. I'd also been a generally healthy eater while overweight, just eating too much of everything. Once I got my calorie intake where it needed to be, and found how to eat to make that personally sustainable, I lost weight.

Honestly, it was simpler than I expected, once I seriously committed to do it . . . though not psychologically easy at every second, of course. The rewards in improved quality of life have been very much worth the effort. I'm 68 now, still at a healthy weight.

Best wishes!
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 508 Member
    Answer ✓
    I decided to finally lose the weight for good and I was 61. It's 13 years late and I ended up losing 75 -85 pounds AND have kept it off. Ate a healthy diet and exercised. You can do it.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,089 Member
    Answer ✓
    Absolutely! I lost 90 pounds in my 50's ( post-menopausal). For most of that time, my only exercise was walking.

You can do this!
  • fred2004
    fred2004 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 19 Answer ✓
    Absolutely! I am 71 and I put on 45 lbs. following hip surgery and Covid. I had trouble losing more than about 20 lbs. until I started using this app. I have been very strict in following it and making sure I was in a calorie deficit each day. I do, however, have a fairly rigorous exercise schedule. I run two of every three days (two on, one off), for an average of 6-7 miles on each run. I also do gym workouts in my basement for three of every four days (legs, biceps, triceps and core) for about 50 minutes. I have lost 27 lbs since February and am finally at my initial goal weight. I now want to take an additional 10 lbs off and remain around that weight. Exercise has helped a lot and I recommend at least 150 min/week. But the most important thing is to live with a calorie deficit, which this app helps you do. You will lose the weight.

Answers

• jciccimarro
    jciccimarro Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for all the encouraging words - I will keep at it.