How should I begin walking on the treadmill?

Options
What incline and speed should I start with when walking on the treadmill? I’m just starting out and want to do at least 20 minutes a day
Tagged:

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels good for you. There's no right or wrong. Just as a note: if you hold onto something then the calorie burn will be lower. Can you also walk outside? Might be more interesting. You could make it a 10 minutes from home photo project
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    For most any new exercise regimen, the sweet spot is something that's manageably challenging - maybe just a little hard by the end.

Too hard isn't good: Can suck calorie burn out of the rest of the day through fatigue, so counterproductive for weight loss; increases injury risk and can impair recovery, so not ideal for fitness improvement.

Too easy also not good: Limits calorie expenditure unnecessarily much, doesn't create much fitness progress.

So what constitutes "manageably challenging"? That's going to be very individual. But even as a non-expert, you can figure it out.

Super easy the whole time? Increase the pace or incline until the last couple of minutes require some focus, but aren't painful. Tired afterward for more than a few minutes of "whew" right after? Decrease the pace or incline.

Best wishes!

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    With any new exercise I usually think of it as a long warmup. Go with settings that may seem too light or easy. Get into the routine, timewise and exercise wise. Start moving up resistance in very low increments.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Enough of an incline where you DON'T have to hold on and challenges you for your workout. Good rule of thumb is being able to talk while you're working out, but having to take breaths to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png