Not losing a lot of weight on ozempic?

Options
Hi! I started using ozempic in November 2024, started on 0.25 and was gradually increased to 1mg every week. I’ve only lost 9 lbs so far. Anybody experiencing the same thing?

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It isn't a magic wand for fatloss. You still have to be in a consistent calorie defict to lose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options
    Just means you're eating more than you think you are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • debbouley
    debbouley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I experienced the same thing. My doc put me on Ozempic because she believed I was at risk for Type 2 Diabetes. She said, "this may kill 2 birds with one shot." (She thinks she's funny)
    Started at .25 and bumped to .50 as directed. Lost 11 pounds. Hit a major plateau, so she bumped me again to the full 1.
    SIX MONTHS of that and didn't lose another ounce. In fact, the weight started creeping up.
    Went back to the doc for a regular check up and she mentioned the weight and asked if I wanted to go ahead and up it to 2. No blood test to see if it was helping the sugar issue.
    I just quit. Why am I injecting this into my body if we're not even checking for the original issue - the potential Type 2 ?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Up to 15% of people are non-responders for the drugs.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    debbouley wrote: »
    Hey there!
    I experienced the same thing. My doc put me on Ozempic because she believed I was at risk for Type 2 Diabetes. She said, "this may kill 2 birds with one shot." (She thinks she's funny)
    Started at .25 and bumped to .50 as directed. Lost 11 pounds. Hit a major plateau, so she bumped me again to the full 1.
    SIX MONTHS of that and didn't lose another ounce. In fact, the weight started creeping up.
    Went back to the doc for a regular check up and she mentioned the weight and asked if I wanted to go ahead and up it to 2. No blood test to see if it was helping the sugar issue.
    I just quit. Why am I injecting this into my body if we're not even checking for the original issue - the potential Type 2 ?
    Doctor should be reported.

• debbouley
    debbouley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    If you're hardly losing any weight then you're still eating too much. As far as I know Ozempic doesn't cause weight loss but only makes you feel less hungry and prevents blood sugar spikes. You still need to eat less to lose weight. If you don't do that then weightloss won't happen.

I can't argue that this might be true for some people, but it was not true for me. Yes, Ozempic made me less hungry. I was also horribly sick off and on while taking those injections. I was eating less than I do now (because I often couldn't keep food down), and I'm now 19 lbs lighter since stopping Ozempic in February.

I don't think that these drugs are the answer for everyone.