Atkins/Low Carb diet

Options
Is their a Atkins or low carb diet group that I can join on here? I've tried the calorie counting but need to go back to low carb eating due to thyroid issues.

Thanks for any information. :)

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Search the posts for Atkins or low carb ... I've seen groups for both those topics.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    Ya there is one on here...I'm doing Atkins if you want to friend me.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Don't forget -- you can also changed your MFP settings to reflect your diet change!

I did 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat for a long time.

Now I'm at 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat --- but I try to make sure its good carbs, not processed white flour crap.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't do Atkins but similar....Glycemic Load Diet.... very low carb. I'm not a group but you are welcome to add me. I also have thyroid issues and am 5'2".... so I can relate. We have to work that much harder!!!
  • Barbaramax
    Barbaramax Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    In the "food and Nutrition" section, there is an Atkins support group.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
  • djm64
    Options
    Where do I change the MFP settings? In the settings area? Thanks for the help
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Where do I change the MFP settings? In the settings area? Thanks for the help
    Goals are changed in the Goals area on the My Home tab.
  • Leigh_Larson
    Options
    Atkins is a great diet for seeing results quickly, but it is not the lifestyle change required to keep the weight off. I lost 97 pounds in three months on Atkins a few years back. I slowly fell back into old habits and within a few years time I was near where I was when I started. I revisited Atkins again several years later, lost 50 pounds and quit dieting. Soon after, it all came back and them some. I like MFP because of the accountability. I enter in 100% of what I consume and try to always stay below my calorie goal. The weight is coming off and if I keep making healty decisions and logging my food in the journal, I believe I can keep it off. I used to really like Atkins because of the instant gratification, but I could not do it forever. It is not a lifestyle change. If I stall out with this plan, I may revert back to it for a quick amount of loss, but ultimately I am going to use MFP to maintain and keep of whatever I am able to lose.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Atkins is a great diet for seeing results quickly, but it is not the lifestyle change required to keep the weight off. I lost 97 pounds in three months on Atkins a few years back. I slowly fell back into old habits and within a few years time I was near where I was when I started. I revisited Atkins again several years later, lost 50 pounds and quit dieting. Soon after, it all came back and them some. I like MFP because of the accountability. I enter in 100% of what I consume and try to always stay below my calorie goal. The weight is coming off and if I keep making healty decisions and logging my food in the journal, I believe I can keep it off. I used to really like Atkins because of the instant gratification, but I could not do it forever. It is not a lifestyle change. If I stall out with this plan, I may revert back to it for a quick amount of loss, but ultimately I am going to use MFP to maintain and keep of whatever I am able to lose.
    It really depends on the person, I think. There are plenty of people who continue low carb as a lifestyle and have for years and even decades. Some because they must cut carbs anyway (diabetes or gluten intolerance) and some because it just suits them. I plan to continue with the way I'm eating now (less than 90 grams of carbs) for the foreseeable future because it works for me and it is sustainable for my lifestyle.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Atkins is a great diet for seeing results quickly, but it is not the lifestyle change required to keep the weight off.

Atkins IS a lifestyle change. I have PCOS and insulin resistance is a nasty companion to this condition. I am a bonafide low-carber...and now I look and feel fantastic. I no longer need meds and my body is doing well. I will not go back to a high carb lifestyle ever again. It's not worth it.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets require lifestyle changes or they really are not worth starting. You found out yourself how effective they are--twice!! If you'd stuck with the program either time you wouldn't need MVP now. There are thousands of people who have successfully made these diets their permanent lifestyle and who have stuck with them for multiple decades.

By the way, much of the instant gratification of Atkins is water weight loss.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins several times over the years and have always had success- and as soon as I stop following the plan to a "T" I gain it all back and then some.

It does work- and if you stay on the plan forever- it will stay off. If you are someone that doesn't love fruit- and several servings a day, doesn't ever want a sandwich at lunch- or ever eat pasta again- or cereal or anything like that- and God forbid a desert- then it will work forever.

I am just not willing to forbid myself from so many different, and some nutritional, foods in my diet on a regular life long basis.

I've done both- and I'll never trade my low calorie high exercise lifestyle again. But if you are looking for quick results, Atkins will do it for you...
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I will forever continue my low-carb lifestyle.

Although I did not do adkins to lose my weight, I did follow another amazing program that has changed my life forever which focuses on low carbs and keeping those blood sugars even all day long. I have learned real fast, how my body does not like carbs in that I do nothing but gain weight from them. It is clear, that I must restrict my carbs to no more than 100 a day.
  • siabevis
    Options
    I like low carb dieting.. Though I prefer south beach to atkins
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have done Atkins several times over the years and have always had success- and as soon as I stop following the plan to a "T" I gain it all back and then some.

It does work- and if you stay on the plan forever- it will stay off. If you are someone that doesn't love fruit- and several servings a day, doesn't ever want a sandwich at lunch- or ever eat pasta again- or cereal or anything like that- and God forbid a desert- then it will work forever.

I am just not willing to forbid myself from so many different, and some nutritional, foods in my diet on a regular life long basis.

I've done both- and I'll never trade my low calorie high exercise lifestyle again. But if you are looking for quick results, Atkins will do it for you...

Atkins does not stop you from eating fruit, bread, pasta, cereal or desserts...in fact it doesn't actually stop you eating anything ever again...unless of course you find out that your body reacts badly to it...which I would see as a good thing. Also, those things (minus the fruit, obv) are very processed, Atkins gets you eating unprocessed natural foods...again how can this be a bad thing?? :huh:

OP - feel free to add me if you like :smile:
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I am going to take issue with your argument that you can never eat the things you mention again on a low carb diet. There are plenty of low carb desserts out there. Similarly small amount of fruit are ok once you're in a maintenance phase of the diet. Sandwiches and pasta are probably gone for good, but personally I don't miss them. You can always eat what is inside the sandwich without the bread, burgers are particularly delicious this way. Like a lot of people, you take a 'glass is half full' view of low carbing but if you look at it positively, there is a huge variety of foods out there.

I don't blame people for being tempted by all the carb rich foods which are constantly pitched at them through billions of dollars worth of advertising. That to me is one of the more difficult parts of the diet, however, luckily low carbing will also reduce your craving for these type foods and at least for some people, reduce the satisfaction you get from them should you occasionally stray from the diet. Another difficult thing to overcome is the fact that food manufacturers seem to be adding fructose to practically everything. I think I read that the average American gets well over half their total calories from fructose alone. That doesn't sound like a particularly well balanced diet to me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Ask the question in the search button above.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

I agree with you. It's not for everyone. If you don't plan to do it forever don't do it at all. Just cut portions.