I can only hold a 30 second deadhang

Options
I’ve tried doing deadhangs so that I can work up to pull ups. However I can only do 30 seconds. Any tips for holding on for longer?

Replies

• __Alex___
    __Alex___ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What's getting tired? Your fingers?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Repetition of doing it will increase muscular endurance. The other is to lose weight so you're holding up less weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Dead hangs are great for shoulder health, and it'll probably improve your grip. They won't improve your pullups though.

Do bodyweight inverted rows, via a barbell on a rack, or dip bars, or maybe a firm table. Do band assisted pullups. Do pullup negatives, i.e. use a step to get in position at the top and try to lower yourself slowly to full stretch and repeat.

For grip, do supinated wrist curls with a db, let the db slide down your open palm then curl it.

And in general, back work will help: various rows, pulldown, pullover, farmer's carry, deadlift, etc.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    P.S. When I do dead hangs it's typically 3 sets of 45s each and that's challenging for me. I can do 6-8 pullups.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    At one point I could deadhang for 2 mins. Couldn’t do a pull up for love nor money!

I built up to both pull ups and chin ups doing concentric (ie jump up and then lower down) and using bands. Both methods really helped me to get my first pull up.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    You mean the eccentric :smile:
  • __Alex___
    __Alex___ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ...jump up and then lower down...

I hadn't thought of this as a method. Learn something everyday 👍
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You mean the eccentric :smile:

Oops yes thanks!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Try grip stength training with captains of crush.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    And OP was never seen again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,928 Member
    Options
    OP has been on MFP since 2022. This post was the first/only time in the Community, though.