Water Pills

Options
Has anyone taken water pills when it is their time of the month? Every month at my TOM I gain a minimum of 3lbs and sometimes as much as 5 lbs. Then it can take me up to 2 weeks to get that weight back off. So was wondering if anyone had sucess taking pills just that one week of the month. Intrested to hear feedback from people who have ACCUALLY tried it not opions!!!! Not trying to be a smartbutt but on other posts I have been burnt with opions not facts!!!!

Replies

• kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I tried just this this past month. I have a period tracker in my phone so I looked and at about a week out I took a water pill in the morning. I lost 4 lbs last week and TOM started just fine...no bloating.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    i retain anyhwere from 5-7 lbs and the water pills help ALOT! I only take them the day before and the day after TOM. Good Luck!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wow I never thought of doing this... maybe I will try it! I feel like my progress is completely thwarted & re-set once a month :P
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take them from time to time during that time, or sometimes if I unknowingly ate a ton of sodium (like when you eat at a restaurant and wake up the next morning and can really feel it).

They're not terribly expensive, and I think worthwhile to buy a pack and keep them around.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    First time I took water pills I lost 7lbs in a few days but then at TOM only lost 2lbs even though I put 6lbs on.. it may have been cos I was taking them all week.

This month has been better I took them just before, didn't put as much on... took them yesterday on second day when I usually seem to let go of load of water each time I go anyway and I lost a good few pounds when I got on scale.

I'd say don't take them for several consecutive days so your body doesn't get used to them and hold onto water anyway... that's what seems to happen to me.. they just stop working for me, taking them several days in a row.
  • amanda_keith81
    Options
    I think I'd like to try this too..Does anyone have a brand they would suggest??
  • qtonduty30
    qtonduty30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do take water pills...they are GREAT!! at my TOM I gain anywhere btwn 3-5 pounds :(....the pills ALWAYS work with making me feel not as bloated :)
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have taken water pills, and they seem to keep the bloating away. Until recently I haven't been weighing in, so I'll be interested to see what happens this month. My only not would be to make sure that you drink a bit more fluids when you take them. I really like Aqua-Ban because they don't have other stuff (like caffeine) in them and they seem to work well. Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've tried them in the past and found they don't do much good for me. In addition, I was taking them this past April when I had a serious water gain issue. My ankles were swollen to twice their normal size and I gained 10 pounds in about 3 or 4 days. The water pills didn't seem to help, but then again, perhaps I would have retained a lot more if I hadn't taken them. Who knows? After being checked out for the causes (all was okay, no clue what caused the episode and it hasn't repeated) my doctor prescribed a diuretic and potassium pills. I peed that 10 pounds right back out in about 2 days. Whew, did those things work! Definitely better than the over the counter ones.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Why would you do this? The 'weight gain' is just water, not fat. The 'water pills' (depending on what you are taking) are pretty heavy duty drugs which can mess up your sodium/potassium/chloride balance and your blood pressure. Women are meant to have a period, its normal and healthy- no its not much fun and we all retain a little water, but don't medicalise something which is physiological. Taking meds like this has unintended consequences.

BTW pre-menstrual and grouchy!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I take them every other day. I body retains fluid so my doctor prescribed mine. I love them. They really help keep the water out. I've seen some over the counter ones but haven't tried any of those. Do some online research and see what's the best.
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i never knew about water pills ....thanks for the post:drinker:
  • Yogie14
    Yogie14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a over the counter one. I tried diurex max and nothing happened... Thanks
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    cjw6 wrote: »
    Why would you do this? The 'weight gain' is just water, not fat. The 'water pills' (depending on what you are taking) are pretty heavy duty drugs which can mess up your sodium/potassium/chloride balance and your blood pressure. Women are meant to have a period, its normal and healthy- no its not much fun and we all retain a little water, but don't medicalise something which is physiological. Taking meds like this has unintended consequences.

Seconding this. Don't mess with your fluid balance like that. Diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances, block vitamin and mineral absorption, stress your kidneys, and otherwise screw you up. If you're having the kind of edema that causes serious discomfort or high blood pressure, it's time to see the doctor. If not, drink some extra water at TOM, monitor your sodium intake so it doesn't spike due to cravings, and remember that *it's just water* when you see that monthly spike on the scale.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't understand this. It is just temporary water weight. It really has nothing to do with your losing fat. The water weight will be gone in a few days. Diuretics work by messing with your kidneys and how they function.

Water pills can cause:

too much or too little potassium in the blood
    low sodium
    headache
    dizziness
    thirst
    increased blood sugar
    muscle cramps
    increased cholesterol
    skin rash
    joint pain (gout)
    diarrhea
    increased light sensitivity

Why is non-prescription use of diuretics dangerous?
    Your body normally works hard to make sure there’s enough water in the body to keep your organs functioning. This also includes making sure your body has the right balance of electrolytes in your blood. Diuretics mess with both of these things. They force your body to lose more water than usual and also push out vital electrolytes with that water. If too much water and too many electrolytes are lost, organs can start to malfunction. This shows up initially as cramps, fatigue, dizziness and weakness, vomiting and swelling. In severe cases, the heart can beat irregularly and even stop. People may also experience seizures and deadly organ failure.

In addition, diuretics can interact with other medications you might be taking and make them more or less effective. In some cases they can have a serious and potentially deadly interaction that could put you in hospital or kill you.

I was on a diuretic for high blood pressure and nearly wound up in the ER because my potassium levels were extremely low, this in turn had an effect on how my kidneys were working and I wound up with a 22mm kidney stone on top of having heart palpitations.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I don't understand this. It is just temporary water weight. It really has nothing to do with your losing fat. The water weight will be gone in a few days. Diuretics work by messing with your kidneys and how they function.

Water pills can cause:

too much or too little potassium in the blood
    low sodium
    headache
    dizziness
    thirst
    increased blood sugar
    muscle cramps
    increased cholesterol
    skin rash
    joint pain (gout)
    diarrhea
    increased light sensitivity

Why is non-prescription use of diuretics dangerous?
    Your body normally works hard to make sure there’s enough water in the body to keep your organs functioning. This also includes making sure your body has the right balance of electrolytes in your blood. Diuretics mess with both of these things. They force your body to lose more water than usual and also push out vital electrolytes with that water. If too much water and too many electrolytes are lost, organs can start to malfunction. This shows up initially as cramps, fatigue, dizziness and weakness, vomiting and swelling. In severe cases, the heart can beat irregularly and even stop. People may also experience seizures and deadly organ failure.

In addition, diuretics can interact with other medications you might be taking and make them more or less effective. In some cases they can have a serious and potentially deadly interaction that could put you in hospital or kill you.

I was on a diuretic for high blood pressure and nearly wound up in the ER because my potassium levels were extremely low, this in turn had an effect on how my kidneys were working and I wound up with a 22mm kidney stone on top of having heart palpitations.

I'm not a lady but I have to agree. Why? I too used diuretics for blood pressure and the side effects aren't worth what you are temporarily trying to achieve.

Edit : To add, like anything else, when you stop it comes back in full force+more
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, are we talking over the counter 'water pills' or are posters in this thread actually advocating abusing prescription medication to see a small scale number decrease because of some retained fluid?

Either way "oh dear".
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I never did (except the mild diruetics in OTC medications like Midol when i was a teen) but I did cut down on sodium in general and this really helped reduce the amount of water weight I picked up just before my period. A 10 day, 5 pound bloat became a 4 day, 2 pound bloat which was not an issue at all.

Start with adjusting your diet first, before going with things that can affect more than your temporary water weight.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Seconding this. Don't mess with your fluid balance like that. Diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances, block vitamin and mineral absorption, stress your kidneys, and otherwise screw you up. If you're having the kind of edema that causes serious discomfort or high blood pressure, it's time to see the doctor. If not, drink some extra water at TOM, monitor your sodium intake so it doesn't spike due to cravings, and remember that *it's just water* when you see that monthly spike on the scale.

Seconding, as well. Your post implies you KNOW it's temporary water weight and that it does come off. Changing your mindset would be a lot healthier for your body than messing with your fluids.

If it's really something you can't get past, look in to lymphatic drainage massage. I had to start doing these after abdominal surgery because bloating was actually painful, and I still get them at TOM because it does help keep fluid levels down. Plus they are incredibly relaxing!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

I agree with this

Tom is part of life for us ladies. So what if your scale goes up that week.