First day on the site..

Options
I'm a 30 year old male that is joining this site because I am in the worst shape of my life.

I've never been particularly unhealthy, but I have just let myself slip over the last year or so. I am a half inch shy of 6 ft. and go about 225. A good bit of it is lean muscle, but I've built myself up quite a beer gut...Only problem is I don't drink a whole lot of beer.

My diet is a mix of several, but it is built on the south beach diet. I have been very successful with that diet in the past and have seen many other diets go down in flames when used by friends/family. Atkins and weight watchers especially. Weight watchers offers built in excuses to eat junk food and with my love of chocolate that just won't fly with me.

I lift 4 days a week and I run 3 miles 3 days a week. They overlap on one day and I have one day completely off.

I love the way this site is set up, and the way it seems to keep people honest and on track.

It looks like a great group of people that use this site as the backbone of their diet/fitness plan (s), and the support you guys give each other is refreshing indeed!

Look forward to charting my progress on here. My muscle mass may not allow it, but I'm looking to lean out and get down to about 170-180 lbs. from my current 225. After that I'll do another mass phase without the junk food.

Game on!

Replies

• drew4au16
    Options
    I'm a 30 year old male that is joining this site because I am in the worst shape of my life.

I've never been particularly unhealthy, but I have just let myself slip over the last year or so. I am a half inch shy of 6 ft. and go about 225. A good bit of it is lean muscle, but I've built myself up quite a beer gut...Only problem is I don't drink a whole lot of beer.

My diet is a mix of several, but it is built on the south beach diet. I have been very successful with that diet in the past and have seen many other diets go down in flames when used by friends/family. Atkins and weight watchers especially. Weight watchers offers built in excuses to eat junk food and with my love of chocolate that just won't fly with me.

I lift 4 days a week and I run 3 miles 3 days a week. They overlap on one day and I have one day completely off.

I love the way this site is set up, and the way it seems to keep people honest and on track.

It looks like a great group of people that use this site as the backbone of their diet/fitness plan (s), and the support you guys give each other is refreshing indeed!

Look forward to charting my progress on here. My muscle mass may not allow it, but I'm looking to lean out and get down to about 170-180 lbs. from my current 225. After that I'll do another mass phase without the junk food.

Game on!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the best site on the internet! :laugh: and best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • pyckse
    pyckse Posts: 84
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, this is an awesome site and has so much to offer!!! Good luck and glad you found us!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • drew4au16
    Options
    Many thanks guys. :smile:

I could use all the support I can get! My will power has been nill lately. Feeling mighty good about my new diet though!

Thanks again!! It takes a hell of a great person to encourage and support others the way that a lot of people on here do!!
  • ttoombs
    ttoombs Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! You'll get all the motivation and support you want here even if you didn't ask for it. :laugh: :happy:
  • healthyone41
    Options
    Best thing is that it's available anytime and its FREE! welcome

162358.png
  • sara1027
    sara1027 Posts: 59
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck!
  • megancolleen
    Options
    Welcome :-) and I wish you much success!
  • StacieLutes
    Options
    Welcome and have some fun!!:laugh:
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat with the loss of willpower but making the effort to log and track everything has really turned it into a game and the motivation is back. I attribute that to the site and its also made me much more aware of the combinations and nutrients within the food that I am eating. best of luck to you!
  • ria2886
    ria2886 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,

This is my first day on the site...I was a college division I swimmer and the past year or so I've just let myself go. I haven't gained a lot of weight, per say, but my muscles just melted into fat. I just day dream about the muscles that I had that I just let disappear from sheer laziness. People say it happens to intense college athletes because they've worked so hard and been so hard on their bodies for so long, that when they finish up their years at school, they just want to relax. Or you can go the opposite...and become exercise anorexic and do nothing but drink water and exercise. I've lost the will. Every day I look in the mirror and I am so disappointed in myself, I get magazines, and read workout ideas. I just can never get myself motivated without a coach screaming in my ear. I'm not even sure where to start. I took initiative by giving up sweets for Lent, but its not enough. I'm glad to see people are in the same boat, it makes me feel less lost. I have friends who swam with me as well and they seem to be holding themselves together just fine. I sit at a desk 8 hours a day and when I get home, I have no energy or will to get myself moving. I tried workout TV so I didnt have to leave my home, but it doesn't work. I can't afford the gym right now, or I would be able to swim. I just want my muscle tone back. I want to see the abs underneath my flub. And I want the roundness in my face to go away. I'm really exciting to join this site and get the support of so many people.

I'm looking forward to hearing from other users who have experienced the same things!

Thanks!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already, I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone here is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • drew4au16
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and kind words.

This seems like a big hill to climb to me because of the rut that I've gotten myself into as far as eating goes. Just a little over 50 lbs. is what I need to lose. I may have to tweak that a bit based on current muscle mass that's not going to go anywhere more than likely; but that's what I'm looking at right now.

I'm probably going to post a lot, and be my harshest critic (which I've always been).

This really does seem like a great place and I look forward to having some solid "after" pictures to put up next to the less than great before pictures that are in my posession now.

You guys are great!