The Buy.com RBK Precision XT HRM

Options
Okay, I bought the HRM that somebody recommended on this site (it was 29.99 on buy.com) and it just arrived in the mail today. I got it out and have tested it already. It seemed to give me a pretty accurate number for the housecleaning I did today (haven't tried it on a workout yet).

But here's my problem: Where do you ladies wear the chest strap?
It keeps losing the signal as I move around...and I bought it to be used when I move around! It's pretty snug against my skin and I do get a reading, but sometimes as I am moving around I will notice that it stopped reading my heart rate and I have to slightly adjust the sensor to get it on track again. When I am sitting, like now, it's fine. So, maybe I am wearing it in the wrong place? Also, if it is occasionally losing my signal...how accurate is my reading?

One more thing...if I remember my high school health classes correctly, the average heart rate is 70-75 beats per minute. I am getting a reading of 56-62 BPM at rest, does that mean it's wrong or I'm just un-average? lol

Thanks!

BTW- I really don't have the money to buy a special bra for it, so please don't just recommend that.

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Okay, I bought the HRM that somebody recommended on this site (it was 29.99 on buy.com) and it just arrived in the mail today. I got it out and have tested it already. It seemed to give me a pretty accurate number for the housecleaning I did today (haven't tried it on a workout yet).

But here's my problem: Where do you ladies wear the chest strap?
    It keeps losing the signal as I move around...and I bought it to be used when I move around! It's pretty snug against my skin and I do get a reading, but sometimes as I am moving around I will notice that it stopped reading my heart rate and I have to slightly adjust the sensor to get it on track again. When I am sitting, like now, it's fine. So, maybe I am wearing it in the wrong place? Also, if it is occasionally losing my signal...how accurate is my reading?

One more thing...if I remember my high school health classes correctly, the average heart rate is 70-75 beats per minute. I am getting a reading of 56-62 BPM at rest, does that mean it's wrong or I'm just un-average? lol

Thanks!

BTW- I really don't have the money to buy a special bra for it, so please don't just recommend that.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I don't have your exact HRM but I do have a Polar that does have a chest strap as well. I just tighten the strap & put it on right under the girls! Once I put my sports bra on it seems to hold everything in place. I would just suggest tightening the strap up a bit. Sorry I don't have anything better!

Good luck!
  • bonski
    bonski Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I keep mine right at the bra band line or just below it.

Do you have to wet the contacts under it?
    I have a polar HRM and one time I didn't wet it enough and it kept losing the signal until I put a liitle but more water there.

also another time I wore a sports bra and where the band of the bra laid was just enough to interfere, so I just didn't pull the sports bra down so low and than it was fine.

I hope one of these suggestions help
    Bonnie
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    Maybe the problem is, I'm not wearing a sports bra...I don't even have one! :blushing:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday and i cant figure out how to get the cals burned to work>
  • bonski
    bonski Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wear have worn both a regular bra and sports bra with mine and it doesn't make a difference.

I have noticed that some poeple wear theirs under the actual bra band, but that bugged me. So where ever the bra band falls I just put the chest part right below it on my body.
    Only that one sports bra gave me any trouble.

Bonnie
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday and i cant figure out how to get the cals burned to work>

Yeah, it wasn't very clear in the directions...if you have set it up for your height/weight/age already then you are close to getting the reading.
    -Make sure the watch is in the Timer screen and you should be able to see your heart rate (if you're wearing the strap) and a timer.
    -Press and hold the Set button until the timer clears, it should say 00:30:00.
    -When you begin your workout, hit the ST/SP button and it will begin counting down with a 5 min warm-up. It does not count calories burnt during the warm-up, so if you want to skip that part hit the MEM button and it should go back to a 00:30:00 clock.
    -Hit the ST/SP button again to start your workout.
    -When you have finished the workout hit the ST/SP button again.
    -Hit the MODE button once until you are on the Memory screen, and it should have a number in the right hand corner that is the number of calories you burnt in that time. (##kcal)

Hopefully that helps you out!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    LOL! I guess the directions were not clear! I was wearing mine above my breasts, on my chest with the strap slightly under my arm pits. I am fairly big and nursed all of my kids (32DD) so maybe I hang too low! .:laugh: I did have to wet the strap otherwise it didn't read.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I wear my chest strap under my boobies, as high up as they will allow (under the band of my bra).

I moistened the plastic receiver piece before putting it on, either with a tiny amount of tap water, or by simply licking my hand and running it across it. Just enough so it's moist -- when I work out I sweat enough to keep it nice and moist. I have heard others use lotions or gels to keep the contact receiving properly.

Also, I use the CHRONO setting on my watch. The timer counts down. The CHRONO setting (hit MODE a couple times to reach it) counts up. You hit ST/SP and it starts counting time and calories and doesn't stop until you hit ST/SP again to stop.

While in CHRONO, it shows your HR and time. If you hit the MEM twice (I think( button (while on CHRONO), it will show your kcals burned, as well as your HR % of max (based on the settings you entered into your profile with your min and max HR).
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    REMEMBER: As you lose weight, say for every 5 or 10lbs, go in and adjust your profile. How much you weigh impacts how many calories you burn, so as you lose weight, you will burn less calories in the same exact activity/exertion level.
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    Also, I use the CHRONO setting on my watch. The timer counts down. The CHRONO setting (hit MODE a couple times to reach it) counts up. You hit ST/SP and it starts counting time and calories and doesn't stop until you hit ST/SP again to stop.

While in CHRONO, it shows your HR and time. If you hit the MEM twice (I think( button (while on CHRONO), it will show your kcals burned, as well as your HR % of max (based on the settings you entered into your profile with your min and max HR).

I was wondering what I would do for workouts longer than 30 min. Man, I really couldn't understand the instructions very well, TY!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I was wondering what I would do for workouts longer than 30 min. Man, I really couldn't understand the instructions very well, TY!

Hahaha, I read the reviews before I bought mine. One review was from a guy who said, "I couldn't figure out the instructions to save my life, and I'm an engineer!!!" LOL

The instructions aren't great, that is for SURE! But the only thing I decided I needed was CHRONO. Start my workout, stop my workout, gimme my total time and calories. Can't beat it!
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    LOL! I guess the directions were not clear! I was wearing mine above my breasts, on my chest with the strap slightly under my arm pits. I am fairly big and nursed all of my kids (32DD) so maybe I hang too low! .:laugh: I did have to wet the strap otherwise it didn't read.

LMBO!! I'm sure that happens more then people would admit! :drinker:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to get mine!!
    I did two classes at the gym tonight, Latin impact ( dance ) and boot camp conditioning, I wanted so badly to know what I burned!! cant wait!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just got mine & used it for the first time this morning! I use the Wii My Fitness Coach to workout & I knew the number it was giving me for calories burned was way low. Today I worked out for 45 min, mostly aerobics. MFC gave me 124 calories burned, but my HRM showed 338. And that was without counting the last 15 minutes, because I had it in Timer mode! :laugh:
    Lauryn, thanks for your post about buying this HRM & thanks for your tips on how to use the darn thing! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    Yup, thank you, Lauryn1981!

I have had the chance to try mine out on a couple workouts now. It's so great getting accurate numbers.

:flowerforyou: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I just love mine. Can't workout without it now!
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I just got mine in the mail this afternoon! It would have been nice if it came earlier so I can test it out since I all ready went to the gym. I guess I will have to wait until Saturday :grumble: as tomorrow is a rest day for me... :ohwell:

Thanks again Lauryn1981 for your input!! :flowerforyou: