How do you control your portion sizes at dinner?

Options
13»

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling... I have good intentions, but I tend to end up taking too much and feeling stuffed and disappointed with my calorie intake. I know I should measure and weigh at every meal, and most times I do, but I often end up feeling like that takes the joy out of eating. So I'm wondering, how do you deal with portion sizes?

Get over that and start taking control...measure everything at every meal...plain and simple, no excuses!!
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use a small plate.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Measure :bigsmile:
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    When I create my recipes on MFP and choose the servings per recipe that is what I use to portion it out. It isn't an exact science however, it really keeps portions in control for the whole family. So, for example, I made whole wheat linguine with homemade spaghetti sauce tonight. I input all the ingredients and made the servings 6. While it was in the pan I divided it into 6 equal looking servings, putting 4 on plates for my family and the other two in containers for lunch. This way EVERYONE is less likely to go back for more and lunch is already ready for the next day. So, if they still need more they know how many portions they are having and it is teaching my kids portion control too.

Tonights veggie was in the meal so they couldn't go back for more of that, but if they do want more on other nights they have to add more veggies first than the can have the other with it.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My tools are pretty much the same as the ones mentioned: weigh or measure almost everything, overestimate amount and/or calories if in doubt, smaller plate, plan your food for the day to avoid spontaneous eating, etc. If you use a half-up measuring cup instead of a serving spoon it becomes quite routine. I bring my scale to the dinner table and weigh the portion of chicken, fish, etc. that I serve myself. I'm usually pretty good at estimating the weight but I find weighing everything helps me hone my "eyeball it" skills.

On things such as pasta, rice, cous cous, etc., I start with half the serving size stated on the package. It's almost always enough and sometimes more than I want.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything that isn't already premeasured such as yogurt. I also use a smaller plate.

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow I love that chart! I'm going to save it out!
  • I'm just gonna carry a 1/2 cup measurement around until I get the hang of it. You can also get the plate that is marked for the portion size of your veg, protein and starch.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    43971810_i8HtoptU_c.jpg

:heart: LOVE this!!

Like a lot of the others have said, I use a smaller plate. When I first started trying to lose weight seriously, I used the measuring/portion cups I got from the Rosemary Conley classes to measure everything (it drove my folks nuts me doing that at dinner). I still use them to measure my food portions, just not everything. Through using the measureing cups, I did learn how big my food portions should be.
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just think of how I look now, and how I want to look (how I used to!) and that really helps me. To think about all those extra calories - I know I don't need them!
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They've done studies and a smaller plate (or whatever container) really will encourage you to eat less. I can cite my sources if you make me. ;) You could also just measure until you're sure of portion size. And hey, nothing wrong with leaving some on your plate.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I almost always use a small plate, but I definitely measure my portions to know for sure how much I'm getting. I make sure to take lots of fresh or steamed veggies and a small portion of something starchy like pasta.
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You have to change the way you think. You are still thinking that the portions you used to eat are normal. They're not. Thats why you are here. Once you get used to what a normal portion size is; things will get easier. You won't have to measure much and food will be fun again. :)