WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,978 Member
    edited July 14
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 9min 55sec, 43elev, 2.79ap, 69ahr, 82ahr, 6.18mi= 649c
    Strava = 757c
    Housecleaning etc- 3hrs- dust, vacuum, make/refill hummingbird food, laundry fold/put away, make 1/2 batch of tea, make doggie ice treats, fill front fountain etc= 750c

Total cal 1346

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited July 14
    :'(

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,113 Member
    :)Rosemarie, I haven't paid for any of the e books or audio books that I've read or listened to on my phone. My local public library uses an app called "Libby" that allows me to borrow e books and audio books for 21 days free. The e books can be read using the Libby app or Kindle. I have a Kindle app on my phone so that's where I read them. Jake has a Kindle and Libby sends the books electronically to his Kindle. My library has someone who can help a new person find out how to use the app. I get audio books from Libby and download them to my phone. I also listen to podcasts from a variety of sources including iTunes. I have blue tooth headphones so there are no wires needed to listen to music, audio books, and podcasts on my phone while I walk. In cold weather I carry my phone in a coat pocket and in warmer weather wear pants with a pocket to hold my phone.

:) One of the great secrets of adulthood is that you don't have to finish a book if you don't like it. Just quit, return it, and start something new. Over time, I've gotten better at knowing what sort of books I'll like so there are fewer times that I discard something after I've started it. The Libby app allows you to read a sample of a few chapters before checking the book out so you can find out if you'll like it.

<3 Barbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,116 Member
    edited July 14

Barbara AHMOD - The last four years I was at home, we hauled well water in the house every day in buckets. WABAC Machine water story:
    We had one of the old fashioned wells, big enough to hide a body, and when the pump went out in 1973, my father refused to repair it. Any drinking water had to be boiled first, and Mama used the old Wesson oil bottles for keeping boiled, clean water in the fridge. Bath water had to be heated in a pot on the stove. Luckily, my father only took a bath every six months or so, because HE wasn't the one hauling the water.

My sister and I always had to pull up the day's drinking and cooking water together, as it took both of us to pull the three-gallon bucket up 30 feet, and then both of us to haul five gallon buckets of water in the house. Bath water for us kids was shared - oldest first, youngest last. In restrospect, it may be part of my preference for showers as opposed to baths. They really were "people soup" by the time it got to me and then my baby sister.

It became just part of life, in the end. I remember the first apartment I lived in, being so thrilled with just turning the water on in the sink and watching it run. Pure luxury!
    I'd be very happy with a bay laurel as well--I can never find them in garden centers here, so would have to special order, and we've seldom had good luck with special order trees.

Rabbits jumped up in the raised beds and ate most of the greens off Corey's carrots earlier in the week, but didn't disturb the carrots themselves. Will be interesting to see if the carrots survive or grow with nothing more than stalks... It's the first time the wildlife have touched his stuff. He doesn't get upset about it, I think he figures it's just part of the deal. Funny guy.

That was the only thing the rabbits nibbled on, they don't seem to care about the basil or the potatoes, squash, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions or garlic. So far, anyway.

Later, my babies,
    Hope it is or was a lovely Saturday for you,
    Lisa in AR

Wow- we had well water(mom still does) but never had to do any of that. I am sure you appreciate simple things like hot showers and washing machines, etc!!

As for the carrots- the tops will grow back. They should be fine.

Lynette- I hope you rest up and your foot feels better soon. Could have really done some serious damage to it.

Barbara- praying the water issues don't take any where near as you are thinking/dreading.

Insomnia again last night- should have slept well. I went early to Aqua Zumba and swam a few laps before and then more after class. Got to sleep at 3AM- woke up when dh was getting up- he had to unplug and pack up his CPAP to take with him at 5AM and again at 6 when he was feeding the cats or something(catio window is right next to my side of the bed and that is where we feed most of the cats). I woke up again at 7:30 and 8:30 like always but was able to get back to sleep until 9:45- Never sleep that late but also don't usually stay awake until 3 AM.

Started my day with a drive over to the pool- I had left my water bottle(favorite one) there last night after class then came home and started working in the back garden- weather was perfect. Came in just for a quick lunch then back at it.
    Came in when it was getting hot and it was time to start cooking- Needed to have it ready by 4 to take to MIL.
    Cooked turkey kielbasa, red potatoes, celery, onion and peppers. Gave her some pasta to go with it and a bag of cookies. She was actually very pleasant- thanked me and I think she actually meant it.
    Had dinner then went out and did some yard work in the front.

I am LOVING having the house to myself for the weekend.
    I will watch church online then do some more yard work plus some inside chores.

Dh won't be home until late tomorrow night so I will go to his mom's at 4 again-no clue what I am cooking. May take some of the leftover baked salmon and some zucchini.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,416 Member
    edited July 14
    Machka: I meant to tell you in my 50s I walked a bunch and frequently! I loved it. After the caregiving, I tried getting back to it and it wasn't the same. I never use to have any ear bugs in ..just enjoyed my own thoughts and plans. But at this point I need some way to carry a cell phone and have ear buds. How do others do this? I have not looked into it yet? I was thinking of going to a Best Buy early on a week day morning and seeing if a sales rep could help me. Also Verizon sold me a car charger that doesn't fit my phone. Great..right. So I thought maybe Best Buy could help there. I really should have a car charger for the phone.

Rosemarie from GA

I get dizzy if I wear anything over my ears or in my ears while walking, so I just enjoy the sounds of nature. :)

Our van has a USB port built in. I plug into that to charge my phone.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    We've got a big low pressure system just off the coast bringing us 3 days of wind, rain and big waves. They're predicting up to 75 mm of rain (3 inches).

p1koxpslpzab.png
    https://www.windy.com/?-42.883,147.331,5,i:pressure

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,898 Member
    Heather - I find the older I get the more I dislike other people’s driving.

Barbara - I’m sorry you’re having to deal with all of this. Hopefully it’s all done soon. I get the frustration though.
    I didn’t realize the Ancient Forest was under threat of fire. It would be devastating to have anything happen to it. I was there in 2018 with my best friend and her family. At that time Rodger was too out of shape to hike through the trail with us. Now I don’t know if I could.

Machka - that is sort of what I meant. We have that here it’s called Art Foundry. The problem is it’s quite snobbish about the art being created. It’s not for the everyday crafty person. They also have it in a very expensive location so of course it’s very expensive to attend.

Margaret - those are good tips.

Lanette - they didn’t say I would start immediately, I told them I was available to though.
    I’m so glad you had a nice visit. I agree about Auntie’s having a different perspective. I try to keep in contact with my nephews and nieces but they don’t seem too interested. I have adopted a lot here in Alberta though and they appreciate me.
    Glad your foot was better this morning, how scary.

Rebecca - I feel I need to change my hair cuts from Great Clips to a proper salon. The price just puts me off.
    I think your nap sounds heavenly under that blanket.

Beth - I think you’re right about being able to use this knowledge anywhere.
    My Mom doesn’t remember that my daughters are grown women, thinks my brother moved into a house near the nursing home, and tell me she talked to my grandmother “the other day”, but every time I’ve talked to her since my FIL passed she remembers and tells me to let my MIL know she’s thinking of her.
    The mind is so intricate.

Michele - sorry to read about Shadow.
    I still think your callous is Plantar Fasciitis, I couldn’t afford the orthotics that were recommended and was talking to a couple of ladies at ceramics that had it. They had both tried the orthotics and said the pain was much worse, one of them told me to try these sandals and my pain has improved 90%. It’s still not 100% but is so much better. I bought a pair at our dollar store for $5. Walmart sells them too.
    I wear knock off Birkenstocks and do exercises for PF and I’m getting better. It might be worth a try.
    ysp062oi5alx.png

Barbara - You are really doing well with your patience in dealing with this water mess. I have the opposite problem with Rodger I just believe and know that he knows and can do anything I ask of him. However, he doesn’t have the faith that he does and in some instances just doesn’t want or has no interest in some jobs.

Rita - National French Fry Day is celebrated in the town next to the one I grew up in. It is the headquarters of McCain’s Foods. My Dad worked there when I was young, they actually helped him get his electrician’s licence.
    In 2016 I took the Grands to NB and we went to celebrate Fry Day and ate lots of fries.
    I love a good fry, but there are some bad ones out there.
    rljfct7qwhv0.jpeg
    y6vqd9vuneec.jpeg

Lisa - “Whomp biscuits” 😂. I’m going to have to start calling them that.
    Where can I purchase your novel?

Rosemarie - I walk with my phone in my pocket. I actually use Map My Walk app and it tracks me I share my location with my daughter on the app so she knows where I am. She doesn’t live near me but could get help for me if I needed it.

Flea - Hugs

Debbie - I’m glad your MIL was civil today.

Machka - do you have to do a lot of moving in the rain?

There are many books that I have put down quickly without finishing. One of them was a local author, the synopsis sounded very good and the author was at the bookstore and sucked me in with his grandfatherly ways. I paid 36 for the book read partway through the first chapter and donated it.

I got up this morning with all intentions of doing a deep clean. It was cool enough, but it was also sunny out and not so hot you couldn’t enjoy it so I talked myself out of it.
    I instead went to an outdoor market that a former boss turned friend had a booth set up. I ended up standing and talking to her for 2 hours!

I have to say that my foot and hip is so much better in the last few months, all of that walking in my practicums really helped me. I wouldn’t have been able to stand and have that conversation even 4 months ago. I will need to keep up my activity if I get this job.

Tomorrow I am going to do a deep clean, I want to do it before the temps rise again this week and Michaela is coming to spend the night Tues-Thurs.

I just read that Richard Simmons has passed away. I really enjoyed his energy.
    Dr. Ruth too.

I think I’m going to start a project tomorrow if I can get my cleaning done and if I can lift it onto the table by myself to do it.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,565 Member
    edited July 14
    Today’s gratitudes: able to do three things I enjoy today: play in the dirt (excavated a third of the old raised bed), took Shadow to dog group, made broccoli crunch salad for fellowship. Walking the dogs down to the cistern path a young buck jumped up onto the drive in front of us. Both dogs took chase and were out of sight in no time. As I continued down the drive, Shadow came running back even before I called. Tumble followed shortly thereafter. I was very, very relieved. Measured water level in the cistern, it is at least 6 feet deep, hooray! Maybe this will ease Joe’s mind a bit and he’ll be able to relax when I do another load of laundry or water the plants. ;)
    Annie, good plan to walk inside. When I sit too much I feel stiff and clumsy too.
    Oh Lisa, you make me so very very very grateful for the life of ease I’ve had. ((hugs))
    “. . .take your ‘Southern woman’ card away . . .” and “Whomp biscuits” rotflmao
    Lanette, hoping the “no swelling” is a good sign that the foot pain is something temporary and self-healing.
    Machka thanks for understanding! Alas, hiring someone else is really not an option. This guy is our neighbor and has helped us before in emergencies, (water heater leaking all over the floor). The only other companies in the area are an hour or two away, would have to charge travel time and we are afraid to learn how many months out they’re booked. I have come to accept that baby steps of progress will complete the project . . . eventually ;}
    Rosemarie your Asheville trip sounds just right. Safe travels! BB&B is Better Bones and Balance class. Coach leads us through a circuit of exercises to strengthen our muscles and retrain our brains to improve our balance. He’s a gifted instructor, modifying each exercise to suit each individual’s ability and challenges. And boy do I feel the exercises. I know the soreness will fade and by the end of summer I’ll be stronger, more flexible and stable. But WOW! Thanks for understanding about my anger. I’m fortunate that Joe is calm and tolerant too. Con very grats for going to yoga. The more you get down on the floor, the easier arising will be. And painting class? I can hear how pleased you are. Well done! Diatomaceous earth works to keep our spiders out, don’t know if it would work on roaches. Good luck!
    Heather hooray for being able to record TV and fast forward through the ads. Your Greek pasta salad sounds just right for this hot weather. Yum!
    Flea, why the sad face?
    Debbie thankful your MIL was pleasant and sincere. Pray it’s the beginning of a trend.
    Tracey going to an outdoor market and having a good, 2hr standing conversation, imho much better for your mental and physical health that deep cleaning… ;} :love: the fry capitol pics, are those Jonah and Micheala 8 yrs ago? So glad to hear your practicum walking has helped your foot and hip to feel better or at least less bad ;}
    RIP Richard Simmons. RIP Dr. Ruth.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,965 Member
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,645 Member
    I'm fine. Just sad about the incident in Pennsylvania this afternoon. So senseless.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,545 Member
    I managed 15 minutes on the rower this morning, and 12 minutes on the bike. :D
    When I woke up I did as many exercises as I could in the bed, and finished off the rest at random.
    So, pretty well primed for the day. I will walk a little in the park for Bea's performance. But I'm not walking up there - too far and too hot.
    I was delighted yesterday to realise that the other hip is more uncomfortable than the one I have had done, so I don't feel like such a fraud going in for the next one.

I ordered some wax earplugs from the pharmacy, to be delivered. I was going to get on the bus to buy them, but I'm not doing that now. I've been using the same brand for 52 years. Can't live without them.

Woke up to the news from your country. Of course, should not happen. :/

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    I ordered some wax earplugs from the pharmacy, to be delivered. I was going to get on the bus to buy them, but I'm not doing that now. I've been using the same brand for 52 years. Can't live without them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I've tried wax earplugs to no avail. They don't block noise.

What kind do you use?

What do you use them for?

M in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,201 Member
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

More of the same here in Delaware. I will take my Dad to church, then relax a bit. The news kept me up last night. I need to learn to leave it alone. I watched two hours of TV reporting, then I kept rolling over in bed to check my phone. My former life full of politics comes back to me. I like being informed, but not when I lose sleep over something I can't change.

Have a great day! May you all be happy, healthy, safe and free!
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 478 Member
    Machka: I love this meme! It is exactly how I feel! the other night I went to sleep thinking I wanted to find another pattern for beginner knitters and awoke at 3 am thinking I should do more for my brain. So I started to review the game of bridge on line and was playing bridge on line at 3am!

Heather: I mixed up Monet and Matisse! But I love them both!

Barbie: Yes,This is what I want ..Blue tooth head phones. I need to look into those!

My plan is to try and sit out for an hour and then watch Wimbledon! And then maybe do some chores! I will watch church by Facebook this morning. I plan to follow the news on my phone and not get addicted to the news on tv.

Allie: I hope you are feeling better!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

• Machka9
    edited July 14
    Machka - do you have to do a lot of moving in the rain?

Tracey in Edmonton

We have had a little bit of rain on some of the days we've moved things but most days have been dry. Good for us, not so good for the environment here. Winter is when most of the rain comes.

As for this low pressure system / mini-hurricane that's just moving in ...

Saturday was a decent day with just a few light showers. We got quite a lot done. Took a decent load to the storage unit, and brought home the last of everything from upstairs except a small desk that will go into the storage unit, and 2 other pieces of furniture that will go into the garage/gym when there's room in the garage/gym.

Sunday (today) has been cold, windy and rainy ... so we opted to have a rest day. No driving anywhere! I had a long sleep last night, relaxed a while, and then I've been unpacking.

The last several moves, I've packed things really well so that they could go into storage and stay there a while. Then it has been months or a year or more before I've been able to get the stuff out of storage and see it again. It feels a bit odd to be unpacking things which I packed just a few days or weeks ago!

Monday is supposed to be the worst day for weather - windy cold deluge. Torrential rains.
    I have to go to work in that.

Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed be slightly better but still pretty cold, windy and wet.
    I have to go to work those days too.

And then the low pressure system is supposed to move off so when we do the next bit of heavy moving next weekend, the weather is supposed to be reasonably decent. :)

I'm still working a 9-day fortnight through all of this, but am now unable to work from home 1 day each week until we get the internet set up and my home office set up. So I'm in the office 9 days each fortnight.

There, I'm working on quite a complex project that ties my brain in knots each day. But I started having some success at last the Thursday and Friday last week.

M in Oz

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,140 Member
    Rita After reading about the fad diets. I would say my way of eating fits in a healthy diet plan. I do exclude gluten and corn as much as I can and do not miss them much. I do this because of how they are created and the effect they have on the gut. I am creating meals with high quality delicious fruits,veggies, fermented foods, and proteins. My meals taste great! After the first 10 pounds loss (mostly water I am sure) I have lost about one pound per week. I went from 185/183 to 162/160 in seven months. I do take Vit D, C, and a multi geared to my age. It uses a fermentation process to create the vitamins and they come in opaque glass bottles. No shakes or over processed food type items to buy. The processed food I eat is good quality cheese, yogurt, Kombucha, and other fermented foods. I am not logging or counting calories rather I count how many fruit, veggies, spices, and herbs (organic/nonGMO if possible) I am eating per meal I aim for at least 4-5 and one fermented food plus a protein item. Occasionally I will take a bitter before eating (dandelion tincture) and milk thistle between meals for liver detox. I rinse my mouth with plain water or aloe after eating to help cut down on acidity in my mouth. I have no cravings and am not hungry in-between meals. I try to have at least a 12 hour window between the last meal of the day and breakfast. I have a glass of water with each meal sometimes with lemon. It took me a good two months to get my diet plan to this point and I already ate quite a few fruits and veggies to start.

Allie I hope you feel better soon!

I’ve done my share of fad diets in my time probably why I yo-yo’d so much. Started with Slimfast in my 30’s after my first child. Lived on that for most of my 30’s then switched to Atkins for a bit. These with my first husband. Threw all diets away during my divorce and before I married my currrent husband. Tried Weight Watchers for a bit between my first and second DH but didn’t like the points systems at all. I did WW for a bit after marrying DH but hated the weekly weigh ins. Felt too much like being judged so quit that too. Found LA weight loss and went from 190 to 150 using that, then developed an allergy to their bars. The soy protein in the bars made my blood pressure react and go sky high, so gave that up. Up went my weight again! Moved to CT and tried WW online for a while. I lost some but not enough there. Weight went up to my all time high of 210. Moved to New Mexico and found the doc I have now that advises the anti-inflammatory diet, or Keto, or low carb/high fat diets. I did really well on this and got back down to 145 where I wanted to be for a while. Meanwhile, I developed the Colitis, triggered by all the eggs I was eating, so back to no diet and depression. Through all this, I found that I lost best when logging everything I eat, HONESTLY, and staying away from sugared foods. I am not omitting an occasional ice cream or Italian ice, or other sweet, but not more than 3 times a week. This is working for me. It’s how I’m eating now. I’m using the 1/2 plate of veggies and fruit, 1/4 plate protein, and 1/4 plate grains. This is working right now and something I think I can make my way of life. I don’t want to diet the rest of my life! I eat what I want, just go by the plate method for my big meal and make snacks fruit instead of ‘junk food’. I also leave about 12 hours between meals at night. I take a good multi vitamin, a flax seed oil, an omega 3 oil, B-complex, magnesium (for leg cramps-works for me) and a probiotic/prebiotic mix. These vitamins were recommended due to blood work results. When/if my D goes too low, I’ll add that back in too, but right now I don’t need it.

Sorry for the rant! I just got on a roll and had to make a conscious effort to stop! LOL 🤪

Laters, Ladies!
    RVRita in Roswell 👽
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,140 Member
    x7m1pbm8xaz7.jpeg

Yesterday’s dinner, chicken thigh, cucumbers, tomatoes, broccolini sautéed in oil and garlic over 1/2 cup spaghetti. Yummy!
    Snacks: watermelon, 2 rice cakes with almond butter. Breakfast was instant oatmeal, 1/2 banana, butter, almond butter.

No exercising and only 1 20 min walk yesterday. Did not work the booth. Got up with a headache, earache, and sore throat. Went back to bed at 10 Am and slept until 2. Had dinner, took the walk, then crashed the rest of the day. I don’t know what this virus is, but it is sleeping this morning so I’ll work the pay booth and get at least 1 walk in.

Have a great day!
    RVRita in Roswell 🛸