Sugar Addiction

Options
Anybody conquer a sugar addiction?

I crave sugar all times of the day - I'd eat chocolate for breakfast if it is available. Don't know how to quit it.

Replies

• brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. Its the only way.
  • CatieCupcake2
    Options
    I crave sugar as well; I love sweets :(
  • alliepgo
    Options
    I'm battling the evil doer as well. I thought I'd conquered it years ago but then it surfaced again. it is HARD to battle with SUGAR every single day. It's like going to war and I am battle-weary. if anyone can offer sane, logical, realistic ways to get over this thing bring it on!
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Im with u I changed my choices to better ones I have finally gotten used to it after 4 months and super sugary stuff like reall cookies and cake make me feel sick after now. But I still lose my mind and eat it sometimes but I think I avoid it more now cause I now I feel horrible after. I also feel horrible cause of my calories on the days I eat super sugar food so that makes me feel bad too. bottom line sugar makes u feel bad in the end.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Find healthy substitutes like fruit and have a couple of small servings throughout the day. Sugar free gum can also help curb the cravings.
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    I found foods that would satisy my sweet cravings instead. For example, I could eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's in a night. I just couldn't say no. But, I stared reading fitness articles and getting inspired and reading about better foods. I've gotten hooked on Greek yogurt to replace my candy and ice cream cravings. I mix things like peanut butter into them, or puree berries and add a bit of honey. Even a little pumpkin pie spice and pumkin puree if you like pie, lol.
    FInd foods you like that are good for you. And don't give in to the temptations if you can't stop at one (IE just "ONE" bite of this chocolate bar....turns into the entire thing and then some) But if you have the will power, allowing yourself small amounts of sugar or candy isn't going to hurt you.
    Its a willpower thing and a mental thing. Stopping to think about why you are eating what you're eating. With sugar its usually emotional and not true hunger. Occupy yourself for a few minutes before eating, drink a glass of water. Then ask yourself if you are really hungry and if the chocolate is really worth the fat and calories.
    Another thing is to admire the way a food looks rather than how it would taste. Or to picture the body you want and remind yourself eating sweets all the time is not going to get you there.
    Hopefully some of that helps, because I have definitely been there!
  • twosmall
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :love:
    My love and my pain. i don't eat alot of suger but the suger free stuff is even a problem for me.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was a sugar addict, but have cut just about all of it from my diet. What helped was eating most of my protein and fats in the morning and that helps keep the cravings away all day.
  • girlypop
    Options
    OMG I have the same problem. I dunno what to do. I eat so much sugar. Literally every single day i'm way over the set amount of sugar MPF suggested me at. I mean literally dbl most days. It's terrible...
  • sandriver
    sandriver Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well it might work, but I'd suggest trying to replace chocolate and sweets with fruits that you like, and chewing a piece of gum when you feel a craving rising. Also, going for a walk or keeping one very busy will shift your focus away from the (fake) need to eat sugar.
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I learned that once you cut the sugar you crave it WAAAYY less AND you end up with a lot more energy. It might be a struggle the first few days but then its a cinch! When you get a craving, eat a piece fruit of or use agave nectar as a sweetener. It works! You can do it! :)
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was such a sugar addict. I'm too ashamed to tell you how much candy I consumed.

But when I joined up here, I told myself I wasnt going to buy any just so that I couldnt eat it.

So I haven't bought any. I avoid the candy aisle.

And when I want something sweet, I drink my flavored water. I put Berry flavored Propel Zero powder in it and it tastes great. It makes me drink more water, too.

Really, you just have to decide that you're not going to eat/buy it and then do it. If its not in the house then you can't eat it.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I have been the same way- I suppose the argument MIGHT ensue that a "real" addiction
    would mean one could NOT have it at all-
    like an alcoholic vs. problem drinker?

But sugar binges ( I'm NOT proud of these admissions but they are a part of my journey)
    and hiding food-
    eating chocolate in the middle of the night-
    ect.

and believing I could NOT overcome it-

Yeah, I've been there....and I don't intend to go back there

but did I give it up?
    NO...but I learned SLOWLY...how to eat it in moderation.
    6 months ago I'd have NEVER believed I'd have the strength to say NO

but I did.

I cannot say I did it in my *own* willpower- but if I mention BY NAME exactly WHO gave me the POWER to overcome it, I am sad to say this post will be deleted.

But I will gladly share more with you in a private message- if you want to hear the rest of the story...

One thing I can say-that won't offend anyone-

my body cannot tolerate nutrasweet>>migraines OR splenda>>diarrhea............

but I thank GOD for stevia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Peanut Butter and Co. Dk Chocolate Dreams.....this replaced candy bars for me.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Also stay away from artifical sweetners, they will not help you kick your sweet tooth, they are sweeter than sugar so they will only increase your cravings. This means no soda, sugarfree anything just untill you kick it. I still struggle if I have artificial sweetner or sugar but the cravings are way better than they were.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I was a sugar addict, but have cut just about all of it from my diet. What helped was eating most of my protein and fats in the morning and that helps keep the cravings away all day.
    This has REALLY helped me too.

And I was eating what I thought was a super healthy breakfast -- a large helping of of steel cut oats, half an apple and skim milk. The result was ravenous hunger just 1-2 hours later and cravings for suger.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    Sounds silly, but my grandmother always taught me three polite bites :) Anytime you crave a sweet take three moderately sized bites. It's hard to put the fork down but I'd rather have three bites of something than crave it until I completely let it take over me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I beat my sugar addiction last January and it was really easy. I'd been a lifelong addict and was never able to quit. Cold turkey never worked for me, my body would crave it and I'd always give in. So this time I took a different approach and it only took a week! My vice at the time was chocolate, but whatever your favorite is should work with this plan too.

Day 1 - waited to eat 1 piece of chocolate until after lunch, ate more later if I wanted it.
    Day 2 - same as Day 1
    Day 3 - waited until my afternoon snack to eat chocolate, ate more later if I wanted it.
    Day 4 - same as Day 3
    Day 5 - waited until after dinner to eat chocolate.
    Day 6 - same as Day 5
    Day 7 - didn't want to eat chocolate after I'd successfully avoided it all day.

That was it! After that I could have chocolate or sweets in the house and didn't care to eat them. I made cupcakes for my math class every week or two and would bring the leftovers home. I'd have one in class with everyone else and wouldn't eat another one. They'd sit in my refrigerator until I made new ones and I'd just have to throw them out. I looked at them multiple times a day but didn't care that they were there.

I think the reason this worked so well for me was that I never felt deprived. I knew that I'd be eating some chocolate every day so I never had mental or physical withdrawal symptoms. I never craved it, waiting an extra couple of hours was never hard. And like I said, but the end of the first week I just didn't feel like eating the chocolate after dinner, regardless of whether or not I had the calories. I'd made it all day without it and that was a great accomplishment. And ever since then my body and mind have been able to handle moderation. A lot of the time I can't bring myself to eat more than one serving of ice cream or cake or whatever because it's just too sweet. If I have a soda I have to force myself to drink it because I'll stop after just a few drinks. My body isn't addicted anymore and it just doesn't want the sugar.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I understand your pain! The way I overcame my initial temptation was fruit, and lots of it. People will tell you not to eat too much fruit, but when you're trying to break a sugar addiction, I swear by it. Of course, I was addicted to fruity sugars, candies, drinks, etc. With yours being chocolate, try puddings, yogurts, and even trail mix with limited chocolate. I kept mine within the calorie limit, and I didn't let myself eat anything without nutritional value. I also added peanut butter to apples and bananas, and that was pure heaven.

I rarely have the cravings any more, and when I do , I try to eat fruit. But they started selling candy at school this week, and I've already had two pieces, so best advice--keep it out of site, out of reach, and avoid, avoid, avoid!
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was terribly addicted to sugar and had to go off of sugar cold turkey. It's not easy, but it will help get your mind off your addiction if you could start planning regular healthy meals and snacks. Only pick foods you really like. Clean house and unload your cupboards of all sugar, ice cream, cake, chocolate, cookies, etc. It's impossible to kick the habit if you have any chocolate or sweets in the house. Frozen seedless grapes are delicious. Record everything you eat.