What is your favorite race and why?

Options
2»

Replies

• cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've only done one 5k and one half marathon.(Providence Rock and Roll half) Both were fun but the half marathon was so much more fulfilling! Reason #~ I raised a bunch of money for my friend's sick son and reason#2~ I have always wanted to do a half (and a FULL) and knowing that I commited to the training and had a good finish2:02:50 was the best feeling ever! I am excited (and nervous) to do my 2nd this weekend! not sure if i will go any faster but i sure will try!! :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I :heart: the Warrior Dash. Obstacles, fire and mud, followed by beer and music.... followed by incredible pain and dirt in unspeakable places.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I just learned about the Spartan Race. It is held all over the country. There are races of varying lenghts and difficulties.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My favorite race ever is a low key, all downhill half marathon here in So Cal - The Fontana Days Half. The course drops over 2,100 feet over the 13.1 miles - which is totally crazy. Roll down the hill, hope your quads don't explode as you collect your PR.

I happen to LOATHE all things RnR, the inventor of the $145 half marathon. I wish people would stop supporting them, as I blame them for other races jacking up their prices.

Fontana cost $30 this year, that included the bus ride up to the start in the mountains, a shirt, a hat and a medal. All that and a nice post race spread back at the finish line.
  • thebiggreenmachine
    Options
    If you want a unique race, you gotta try the Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh, NC in February. Its grown to 7500 participants of which a 1/3 of them attempt the challenge of eating a dozen donuts at the halfway point. This year the race was 4.7 miles long. Your entry fee goes to helping the North Carolina Children's Hospital of which $100,000 was raised. I know this might be considered an anti-MFP race, but just set aside a 'cheat day' for it. Also, you can run the race without eating the donuts, but what's the fun in that :)

I've done that race and the Krispy Kreme Challenge 5K in Lexington, Ky. The fastest to eat the donuts and run the 5k wins 6 months of free donuts. I finished 5th last year and look forward to competing for the title this year :)
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Jacksonville, FL - Gate River Run 15K. Lots of bands, over 20K runners, good vibes and (usually) great weather in FLA in early march.
  • MrsPerez528
    MrsPerez528 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in starting a training group for the Fontana Days Run 2012?
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Grandma's Marathon in Duluth MN.
    They also have a half marathon.

The race is run on a track that goes along the beautiful shores of Lake Superior (most of it ;) The volunteers and help and atmosphere are awesome!!! It's a huge race, and a world-renowned one. We get Olympic hopefuls, runners from all over the world........it's quite an amazing time. I've never run, but I've volunteered for almost 2 decades.

http://grandmasmarathon.com/site/
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    If you're in the midwest area, a really good beginner's race is the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati (May 6th). Good swag, nice people and great support on race day. The course is challenging, but not overwhelming for someone just starting out and it is a Boston Qualifier if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I can't speak as to the weather though. I've had bad luck in both my Flying Pigs (2010 and 2011), rain rain and more rain. It builds character, right? :)
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Not too far from you...The Philadelphia Distance Run (now part of the Rock and Roll series)...the course is along the river - very nice and (bonus) flat.

It's in September.

I think I am going to try this one for my first race. I am very excited, it looks fun and I love that run along the river.