Day of Emotional Purging

Options
Today I've been so emotional and out of sorts. After exercise, something came over me and I literally dropped to the floor under the weight of crushing emotion. Saddness, grief, anger, frustration, regret, and fear all had me in their grip. Same thing in the shower; overcome with emotion, I had to sit down in the tub. I found myself thinking about things from my past, the loss of my Dad, childhood, family, all the self-sabotage I've done over the years, my weight... It just kept coming. I'm still kind of in that place as I write. I realized that for so many years I stuffed my feelings with food, cigarettes, drugs, sex, and everything that would hold still. I'm a very sensitive person and feel things very intensely; always have and as I progressed in age I found different ways of coping and numbing myself. Anyway, Ive changed a lot through the years. I let go of drugs and promiscuity long ago but only recently let go of smoking and overeating with overeating being my biggest self-soother. So now, all my coping mechanisms are gone and not coming back. I've changed but change requires a temporary surrender of your sense of security, always. I think I'm just REALLY feeling everything now. Layers of old buried feelings are getting peeled back and exposed to the light now and it doesn't feel good. It. Hurts. My first reaction is to stuff it back inside but that's not an option for me anymore. It's a gateway I have to pass under and it's a mark of my metamorphosis. But it does hurt. I think when people who've been fit all their life tell fat people that it's a simple matter of "calories in and calories out" and that all you have to do is "make your mind up, stick to it" there is truth in that but without consideration of the incredibly EMOTIONAL aspect of shedding weight. It's SO hard to let go, even if something isn't good for you, it can feel safe because of it's familiarity; its the only way some of us have ever known to cope with the intensity of what we feel. I know I'm rambling now and this probably should be a blog, but I just felt the need to share it and let anyone who has ever felt this way know that someone else out there gets it. Really gets it.

Replies

• whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i get it.....absolutely *hugs*
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    yep. i get this. i often cry after I run. emotional purge. thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Reading this I was thinking that I was reading a story of my life. I have let go of the demons of my past and all that I used to cover the emotions of it all. I still get a bit emotional at times but this is the first time in my life that I have actually been able to deal with my emotions instead of covering them with "other things". I was quite emotional when I first started this weight loss journey because I quit smoking at the same time. Feel free to friend me as I am there with you. Take it one step at a time :)
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I get it too. **HUGS** to anyone who needs it tonight. Thanks for sharing JaenaM.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh I get it too.......I self-medicate not with alcohol, drugs, sex or some other socially abhorrent behavior, but with food....glorious carb-filled food. Something that humans HAVE to have in order to live. I so agree that those who think its all about A + B = C is less calories + more activity = weight loss and eternal happiness, are only half right, at best. For those of us foodaholics, more is needed. I'm hoping to discover, here on MFP, a way, a system, group, therapy, whatever, to solve the real problem I have. Until then, I'll try to use the mechanics of weight loss on this site and pray I can also find a way to fix my soul. Good luck in your endeavors too.
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Your responses mean so much to me tonight. Thank you so much for the ((hugs)) and know they are being sent right back!!!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I'm a guy. I get it too.

Thank goodness for facebook/msn chat and I pour it out to my friends. Such a release.

Gary
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    im crying now... I didnt realize that I had a food addicton untill I started working at a drug rehab... They would spend there last buck for a quick high I would scrape up my last bit of change for a double cheeseburger... I let food smother every bad feeling that I had and up untill a few weeks ago I let it ruin my life... I am proud to say food no longer controls me it tries to slip up and may from time to time but I am not giving up... I will beat this I have decided that it is time to let go of the past and all the negative because that is what drove me to anti depressant medication (which I am no longer taking) I wish the best of luck to you and Keep up the good work!!!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Beautifuul written and perfectly said. I totally get it!!! :flowerforyou: