alcoholics, you've got a friend

Options
So, yea, I might be an alcoholic. I don't know. But the reason I don't have "friends" is because I'm embarrassed for anyone to see what I drink. I truly can't imagine that I'm alone, and I'm hoping that I am just the first to admit it. We have a double struggle. Trying to fight this disease, and at the same time, trying not to replace food with alcohol. I truly hope I don't regret posting this.

Replies

• lunaephiliac
    Options
    I might not be the best friend for you, especially if you think you're an alcoholic. I drink! sometimes! And I don't see any problem with it.
  • grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    honesty is always the best policy....I am certainly in the same boat as you some of the time.
  • dannylives
    Options
    I'm an alcoholic. Have managed to only drink twice this year. :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Eh hem... THIS one drinks liquor 2-4x a week. And I measure every shot. And log everything.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    you can make your diary private. good luck to you. its always best to have friends though. i dont know anybody on here that has ever judged. weve all been some place we dont want to be and something thats not right within us. dont feel ashamed at all.
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I probably am too. Really working on it.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This question comes up on the brewing forums occasionally. Here's the self-test I've used on myself and always recommend to others.

Commit to a week or two of absolutely no recreational alcohol for any reason. If you can't do that, obviously, talk to a professional, but that's not the real test. Carry a round a little diary and keep track of every time you think about alcohol during that time period. Evaluate how often you thought about it after the time's up and decide whether it's too much or not and seek help if you need it.

Hope everything works out for you.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka every day that I am off work. Maybe 4 or 5 shots. (2 ounces at a time.)
    And I log in every ounce.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm not an alcoholic, but I can see how this could be hard. I applaud you for admitting you have a problem and I hope you can find strength for BOTH your journeys. (^_^)
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    287 views right now. That truly tells me I'm not alone! Gotta say, I didn't expect the response that I got. I can't believe how many awesome people there are out there! Even those who couldn't relate showed their love. Wow! I love you all!! Thank you for your input and truly, each and every one was special to me! I take each and every one to heart. I've made some new friends who I think I can share my battle with, without judgement. Wow....you guys rock!!!!!!!!!
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I drink a bottle of wine every night unless I make a conscious effort not to. Sometimes I have 2 - if I start too early in the evening. This is the main reason I've been gaining weight. I'm also ashamed to make my diary public and to have "friends" on this site. I tend to replace food calories with alcohol, or spend an hour running on the treadmill to earn calories so I can drink & stay under. I'm refusing to drink for the rest of this week, though. Gotta stop drinking on the weeknights! I've just recently recommitted to losing weight. Good luck to you, and thanks for posting...
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Being an alcoholic myself (2.5 years sober) I would say that if you don't want people to see how much you drink there's a good chance you're an alcoholic and being an alcoholic is not a bad thing. Realizing I was a drunk and couldn't control my drinking was the best thing that ever happened to me! I now remember my nights out, I don't wake up with strangers, if i wake up feeling ill it's because I AM....I can't say enough for giving up the booze. If you decide you are an alcoholic and want help feel free to message me. And if you don't want help then that's cool too :) good luck sweet heart!
  • simkat
    simkat Posts: 72
    Options
    287 views right now. That truly tells me I'm not alone! Gotta say, I didn't expect the response that I got. I can't believe how many awesome people there are out there! Even those who couldn't relate showed their love. Wow! I love you all!! Thank you for your input and truly, each and every one was special to me! I take each and every one to heart. I've made some new friends who I think I can share my battle with, without judgement. Wow....you guys rock!!!!!!!!!

I looked because my sister was an alcoholic. She passed away from it when she was 26. Her struggle, watching her struggle, seeing my parents try to cope, the pain of trying to help, and the pain of her death is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Whatever your choice, I wish you the best.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i'm an alcoholic and have been in recovery for nearly 6 years.. like above mentioned, finally admitting this and discovering the tools to handle this disease was the best thing for me..
    message or friend me if you'd like.
    you're not alone.
    i am just now getting a handle on food, but the refreshing thing is, we all only have today so only focus on this- the right now! :flowerforyou:
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have our cocktail hour most everynight (me after I completed my exercise)....I will have a couple of vodka and diet tonics, maybe 3 if its the weekend or with friends. I also include these in my food diary. :flowerforyou:
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am not an alcoholic, but I can empathize because I can't imagine fighting a food addiction right along with something else. I would think, just like for any addiction (and as per AA if I'm not mistaken) you have to take it one day at a time! I know I do with food/exercise. If I think about all the years ahead I get overwhelmed and upset. I just have to tell myself I can do this "today". I think it's great that you are being honest with yourself and with your friends on here! Best wishes!
  • onebigbutt
    Options
    Kkeys, I know exactly what you're talking about! Trust me! There is nothing pretty about walking on a treadmill with a beer in my hand! But I've done it... more than once! I really hope you'll friend me. I only have a handful of friends, but we all have drinking issues, so there is no judging going on. I hope to hear from ya soon sweetie!!
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am not an alcoholic- but was raised by two alcoholics and have a VERY addictive personality. I have quit smoking, I have struggled with food and caffiene and I feel like the only reason I am NOT an alcoholic is that I don't drink often enough. I am sure if given a chance I could be addicted to that as well!

So from one addict to another: God Bless, and good luck!
  • kkeys
    kkeys Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request!
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my husband and I went to Oktoberfest here in Munich, Germany. Yes the LARGEST beer festival in the world. And I logged that I drank 2 LARGE beers on the train ride TO Oktoberfest and two Mass (1 ltr. each) beers AT Oktoberfest... Oh yeah. LOTS and LOTS of calories. And I drank it, and I logged it. That's right! hahah.