Hey

Options
Well, it's been 6 days since I quit smoking. The days were very difficult and it was hard to control what I put into my mouth. I decided not to even take accountability. Now, I am ready to be accoutable. I cannot guarantee myself that I will only eat my weight loss calories but I am going to make a point in not eating over my maintanence calories for the next week. At that point, hopefully I will have a grip on both my smoking and my eating. Then I will try to lose my weight again!! I am feeling very good and very hopeful. I am trying to be realistic and I am trying to do what is most important at this moment. I can always lose weight but I can never lose lung cancer. I read that recently and I am trying to keep that in mind. BUT, if I don't gain back too much weight, then it is going to be so much easier to lose being smoke free. :drinker: I'm going to try to be sticking as close to this site as I can today. I'm hoping to stay motivated and to be accountable for every morsel that I put in my mouth!!

Replies

• its time for change
    Options
    Well, it's been 6 days since I quit smoking. The days were very difficult and it was hard to control what I put into my mouth. I decided not to even take accountability. Now, I am ready to be accoutable. I cannot guarantee myself that I will only eat my weight loss calories but I am going to make a point in not eating over my maintanence calories for the next week. At that point, hopefully I will have a grip on both my smoking and my eating. Then I will try to lose my weight again!! I am feeling very good and very hopeful. I am trying to be realistic and I am trying to do what is most important at this moment. I can always lose weight but I can never lose lung cancer. I read that recently and I am trying to keep that in mind. BUT, if I don't gain back too much weight, then it is going to be so much easier to lose being smoke free. :drinker: I'm going to try to be sticking as close to this site as I can today. I'm hoping to stay motivated and to be accountable for every morsel that I put in my mouth!!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    :flowerforyou: keep up the good work!
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    My friend just quit smoking and when she is really craving she does 25 jumping jacks or enough till she is out of breath or doesn't want to give into her craving,
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    That is great. Keep it up. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    One recommendation...

I found a fablulous recipe for ranch dressing on the recipe board and believe it or not it is actually good! I am a serious cottage chees hater. Like I can't stand it at all! But I tried the dang recipe anyways.... and it was GOOD!!!

16oz. of cottage cheese, 8 oz. buttermilk and a package of ranch dip. You blend the cottage cheese till it's smooth and then add the buttermilk and blend some more and then the ranch dip and blend some more.

I'm saying all this because when I quit smoking, just to be able to sit down with veggies and ranch dip and pig out would have been great! I didn't know about this recipe then, so my ranch would have been made out of the super fat mayo (EEEEK!!). This ranch is like 16 calories per 2 tblsp. WAY Different than 90 to 100 calories per 2 tblsp.!!! So grab some celery and baby carrots and anyhting else crunchy you can think of and dip it in some healthy ranch and enjoy!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO! I quit smoking last year cold turkey - my recommendation is Dum-Dum suckers! They may not be veggies, but they have very few calories and last about as long as a cigarette would. I'll be honest though, the first 3 or 4 months were the hardest for me. Tell EVERYONE around you about your decision so that you can have as much support as you can.

Congratulations! You can do it!
  • babyhippo
    Options
    Way to go!
    My advice: rename those cigarettes. Start calling them "cancer sticks".
    From now on when you think you need a "smoke" or "a cigarette". Tell yourself: "I need a "cancer stick". Hmmm. Maybe you will change your mind.

Good luck on your weight loss also. Congratulations on choosing a new healthy life!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Hey

Doing both thing is really an achievement, keep doing it ! You really ought to be proud of yourself !

GO YOU!
    may
  • its time for change
    Options
    Thanks everyone. When I first found this site and started losing weight, I had an initially thrill. I was so excited and I felt so right about what I was diong. I feel that way now with my quit!!!
  • Margy82
    Options
    I quit last year about this time. I figure after smoking for 10 years and only being 25 it was about time. My girl friend and I made a bet that the first one to start smoking again would have to wear a super hero costume to work and we told everyone about it. Let me tell you, that was motivation! I started eating rice cakes instead of smoking, caramel chocolate chip, she had candy. I could eat as much as I wanted, I lost 5 lbs and she gained 3lbs. It has now been a year and I feel great! Good luck, you'll be so happy to quit, you'll still crave it once and a while, but you'll be so glad to be free of it!!!