Fab Foodies Challenge!. *Introduction and Instruction Thread

Options
fabfoodies.jpg

Welcome Fab Foodies! My name is JR and I will be the captain of this rickety ship! I hope you are ready to try something different, off the wall and different! I have taken the challenges I have been in and turned them into something else. Exercise is one piece of a larger puzzle to living a healthy lifestyle. We are going to try to cover three of the very important lifestyle needs.

1. Exercise will still be very much involved in this challenge, but unlike others I've been in there will be no set exercises. We will have set times and goals to meet each week. The first week will be a goal of 200 minutes of exercise. After exercise we have to cover food, it's what fuels our bodies and allows us to exercise at peak performance.

2. Food is also my old downfall as I love rich, supple, savory flavors. I am also a junk food fanatic. I have spent the last couple months and will the upcoming coming up with ways to replace those foods with healthy but full flavored alternatives. We will have recipes, videos, and bonus points for say meeting your fiber goal for the day!

3. Last is motivation and support. I am keeping this group limited to 15 people, we will also have challenges that pairs you guys up with each other for bonus points! You will have the ability to help another person get bonus points and vice versa. So not only can you get motivated to do this for yourself, you can be motivated to do this to help others.

How the points and bonus points work? Why do we need them?
The points and bonus points are going to be simplified for this challenge. All I ask is that you open your diary to friends so we can view it or shoot a PM weekly if you meet the goals. If you open diary to friends I will do all the scoring for you. All you need to do is be active! This challenge will also have rewards. I am going to have a couple t-shirts made up (Thanks to a buddy of mine that owns a shop) and some other various little prizes. The points and bonus points will be the way to determine victor.

Are we going to weigh in?
Yes we will weigh in weekly, but you can only earn a max of 1 point a week from your weigh in. Other challenges put such an emphasis on the loss of weight and % points. We are striving for that, but we also are striving for a life style change. If you follow the challenges and eat right you will lose weight, and for that everyone is a winner. As well as everyone is at different stages of their weigh change.

Please take time to those in the group and introduce yourselves to the rest of the group!

Replies

• faye_daisy
    Options
    Hi My name Is Gladys! I am full of spunk and ready for change! I am a mother to 4 rugrats who I adore and now a full time college student majoring in elementary education <<<<<<<<<,yeah I am CRAZY! I am a open book ask me anything and I need to get over this hump seems my body likes 216 this month!
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This sounds very interesting and I would be interested.
  • hummelen
    hummelen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

i'm Emily I'm a 23 year old school nurse trying to put my life back in order! I am in this to make a permanent lifestyle change get myself healthier!

Can't wait to see what this awesome Challenge brings! :) I have lost 15lbs since i joined MFP in August- and i can't wait to see where this all leads me.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    What is up people! The name is JR! I am what you would call a large man. I am wanting to change that. At my highest I weighed in at 380 pounds. I had tried all these diets, I tried all the gimmicks and one day I had enough! I started working out, I stated eating right, and I found MFP. I'm proud to say those 3 were the secret to success. I have never lost weight like this nor have I ever had this burning drive to keep on going.

I enjoy life's finer things, such as:
    football
    photography
    graphic design
    food - especially cooking my own
    hanging out with my son.
    tv series
    and I absolutely love working out at the gym now.

A little background about my health:
    When I was 380, I had a multitude of health problems. High Blood pressure, blood sugars rising, liver enzyme issues, and more. Since losing just 60 pounds I have eliminated all of those problems and back down to the levels I would of had in high school. The Dr. says while I am working out and maintaining this wonderful numbers I have reversed the effect my weight was putting onto me. I am on ZERO meds for my health. The only med I still take is Stelara for my psoriasis. What I'm getting at is, its not about a race to get to your goal weight, the benefits from working out comes at you from the start. The key is just in starting.

Things I was willing to give up to have a better me:
    Soda - this one is the hardest, I still crave a nice cold Dr. Pepper. Even after 4+ months now.
    Fast Food - I will eat it only as a last last resort.

Advice to those having problems getting started on working out, exercising, and changing their lifestyle:
    I tell them to give me just 5 days, 5 days of playing by the rules. Pushing themselves to do what their mind is telling them they don't want to do. Workout for 5 days, eat right for 5 days and at the end of those 5 days you will feel so good you will make it 6,7,8,9+ days. There is no better time then the present to get yourself where you want to be. You just have to want it more then anyone wants it for you.
  • stoofers
    Options
    Hello! My name is Steph and this is my first MFP challenge. Pretty excited about it! I'm from Mississauga, Ontario (I feel I need to add Canada for some reason). I'm 26 and live with my fiance. Right now I'm 179 (yay no more 180s!) and hope that this challenge kicks me into the 160s!! Nice to meet you all.
  • sherrisloan
    sherrisloan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My name is Sherri. I'm 35 years old. I just got remarried last May. I have two teenage children. I'm 5'7''. My current weight is 145. My goal weight is 135. I very luck to have no health issues. Thank you god!!!! Ok so if you wanna know anything else just ask.
  • kjnicol
    kjnicol Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is KJ and I'm a Kiwi (New Zealander) living and working in South Korea as a teacher. I'm 33 and live over here with my husband (also a kiwi) and my little puppy. I'm currently studying my masters BUT it is hopefully my last semester so should be finished before the end of this challenge (fingers crossed if I pass everything!)

I have been overweight for many years and have tried many different ways to loose weight including weight watchers. I have lost a bit (about 20kgs/44pounds) but then have put it back on over a period of time. THIS time is DIFFERENT!!! I feel that I have a new drive to loose weight and get healthy. This time I CAN do it!! This time I WILL do it!!! This time is not about gimmicks but about me getting healthy though eating right, increasing my exercise and the motivation and support of everyone on MFP. This time its about ME!!!

So far I've lost nearly 30 pounds since mid July and I'm hoping to loose another 30 by Christmas time as I'm going back home and want to surprise my family. They don't know I'm doing this and I can't wait to see their faces when I get off the plane!!! But my journey will not stop there, that is just a mini goal to get me though the end of the year.

Can't wait to get to know you all and look forward to sharing this journey with you!! OCTOBER IS GOING TO ROCK!!!!
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! My name is Amanda, I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 12years and I homeschool our three kiddos (Kayla 8, Zachary 7 and Olivia 5). When I started my journey I my weight was 200lbs and I am 5'4 and a half lol. I LOVE to workout and eat healthy. We have a lot of food challenges in our house because of food allergies :(. I love giving my support to others who want to be healthy.

My current weight is 153-155 and I have been stuck for a YEAR or more. I got down to 138lbs started lifting and now even with high intensity carido I can't get my weight to move.

Anyone that wants to add me as a friend please do (plz add that you are part of this group)

Let's ROCK this thing!!!
  • Lori_menorahlover
    Options
    Hello my name is Lori and I am currently doing a September challenge with JR and very glad that he has assembled this one for October! I am a mother of 3 and at my heaviest weighed 247. I have lost nearly 120 lbs thus far. My current weight is 128 and my goal is 125. I would really love to tone up and also learn new recipes!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm Chani! i'm 26 and recently married. i work as a social work and generally my job is pretty high-stress. i love food although i'm a terrible cook (my hubby is a good cook) and i have a total sweet tooth! i also love french fries, milkshakes, etc. i recently became a vegetarian and am still looking for great ideas to try making :)

my highest weight was 330 when i was in grad school. this morning i weighed in at around 277 lbs (yay!). i am super excited to meet all of you :)
  • sugarsprinkles
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Sugar. I joined MFP July 15th. I have lost 12 lbs, and have never stuck with a diet this long. I thrive on the support of this community, and have learned so much about my metabolism and what it takes (and does not take) to keep me going.
    I am kitchen whiz, and come up with amazing low cal recipes in a flash. I love to share these when I have a husband approved winner :). I am still reaching for my goal weight, with the ultimate goal of being comfortable in my own skin!
    Looking forward to sharing your loss. ;)))
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is shania and I work 4 united airlines....been battling my weight since highschool...my goal is 2 be fit by my 30th birthday which gives me...5 1/2 months 2 get it 2gether...this will be fun and interesting
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    Hello fellow foodies!
    My name is marie and I'm excited to learn and share new recipes while staying fit and getting more active. I've been on MVP for about 6 months now and I've lost about 40 pounds. My husband and I work together as teaching parents in a group home for 5 teenage boys while raising our two children, Isaac who is 9 and Isabelle who is 2. To say that there is never a dull moment in our home is most definitely an understatement. I cook for 9 people most evenings so I can't wait to try out some new recipes on them :happy: I love football, chocolate, spending time outdoors or watching a good movie on a rainy day.
    We are gonna have a great month!
    :heart: Marie
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Karen and I have battled my weight for most of my adult life. I joined MFP last year and lost a little weight, but didn't keep it off and actually hit my highest weight in January/February of this year! In June, I decided I really needed to do something about it so I joined a local gym to take advantage of Zumba and some other classes they offer. I have been diligent about logging into MFP and keeping track of my food and exercise.

I am nearing the 20 lb. loss mark and hope to keep going from there. I actually feel guilty if I don't go to the gym every day and sometimes I go there 3 or 4 times a day! I have also met a lot of nice ladies there.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Heather. I'm a 33...oh wait on Thursday 34 year old stay at home mom of 2~~a 7 year old girl and 5 month old boy. I have been married to my high school sweet heart for 14 years this December. I was trying to lose weight this time last year so that I could get healthy and have another baby...well the baby decided he wanted to come first so here I am. I was lucky enough to lose all of my pregnancy weight quickly now I am back trying to lose what I needed to before. We moved to a new state when I was 5 months pregnant and with not working I haven't really been able to meet to many people here. I am highly supportive and motivated. I am excited about getting out there and doing this challenge and getting to know all of you. I started MFP about 2 weeks ago and have not missed a log in yet and can't help but to cheer on my friends here. I have lost my first 5 lbs and still have plenty more to lose. I hope this time next year I will be at my goal. I do not go to a gym but I have weights and stuff here so I can get almost anything done.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is CANT. I am a 43 year old mother of 3 boys (21, 20 and 10). I am a waitress in a hotel bar at Wright Patterson AFB in beautiful Dayton Ohio. I have spent the past 21 years being a mother and one day I woke and realized I have no idea who I really am anymore. This past April I had a tumor removed and was supposed to be in recovery for an hour. I was in for 5! They couldn't get heart rate and breathing regulated due to my weight. I decided then and there that when I was able to I was going to start getting in shape. I started here at 231.4 pounds at the end of July and currently weigh in at 206.0!

I enjoy going for walks in the woods with my camera, spending time with my kids, reading and being crafty. I stay under my calories but go look at my diaries...go on...I will wait....they are AWFUL! I struggle with sodium and sugars and getting enough fiber and proteins! I am walking a 2 mile family fun race/walk on Saturday and on October 18th I am doing a 5K (probably going to walk most of it!)

Let's do this thing!

Thank you JR for including me!
  • gods_gal
    Options
    Is your Fab Foodies challenge closed or do you still have room for one more? :smile:
  • aninamika
    Options
    BRING ON OCTOBER & A PLETHORA OF FOOD CHOICES! KIA ORA (MAORI) TALOFA (SAMOAN) ANNYONG HASEYO (KOREAN) HOLA (SELF-EXPLANATORY FOR MANY OF U STATE-SIDERS) & GREETINGS from the Land of the Morning Calm, otherwise known as South Korea. My name is Anina and like KJ, I'm a Kiwi who is currently living, working and studying in South Korea with my English/Ozzie husband.
    My goal is to be in the best shape ever and to eventually go in to Personal Training. Helping others get back to shape and better living. I was diagnosed with Lupus more than 10 years ago and luckily for me it hasn't stopped me from working out. I've had a pretty bad flare the last couple of months but I started getting some Reiki healing and it has been helping me out MASSIVELY!
    Unfortunately because of the Lupus I am unable to go through IVF again which means no chance for a kid of our own. However we are now open to adoption - with so much **** happening in the world there are many little mouths that need feeding and little bodies which need nurturing and loving.
    I love to workout but my problem is eating. Earlier this year I took myself off my meds for lupus and have been trying to get maintain it through the help of diet, exercise and whatever other holistic means I can find. I'm going good so far but I still have a long way to go.
    I used to have an eating disorder when I was younger and didn't realise that my stagnation at 88kilos was due to a mental fear of not wanting to go there again. However, I have lost 20+ kilos since I started this journey back to a healthier lifestyle. It's HARD WORK but noone else was going to do it for me. I didn't even realise that I needed to lose that much and nor did a lot of my friends. My fat likes to spread itself out. :wink: :wink: I now am looking to get absolutely RIPPED but I can't do that if I keep giving into my cravings which this month was chocolate!
    I love MFP because of the constant SUPPORT, ENCOURAGEMENT & LOVE that is freely given from absolute strangers. Can't wait for next month to begin so we can KICK more FAT BUTT. I've got a challenge going on at the gym, a bet with one of my adult students and now another MFPer wants to take me on calorie burning wise :wink: This foodie challenge will definitely help me achieve my goals for next month. I have since cut out meat and gluten in my diet so I've been trying out a lot of vegan and vegetarian dishes and I've been moderately successful.
    Now I gots to get my groove on so I can hit the the pool with KJ! Oh yeah short term goals > HALF MARATHON > OCTOBER 2011
    LONG TERM:
    FULL MARATHON BEFORE AUGUST 2012
    TRIATHLON BETWEEN SEPT 2012 AND AUGUST 2013
    TO BE RIPPED, HEALTHY AND SEXY THROUGHOUT MY ENTIRE LIFE!
    BIG LOVES MY AWESOME PEEPS and JR CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE TRIBAL PICS :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Mary_wants2bfit
    Options
    Hi there
    My name is Mary, 31 years old and I am a friend of KJ's also a New Zealander teaching English in South Korea. I'm a bridesmaid in November so would like to shift a few pounds by then to look great in the dress. I think this challenge might be just what I need for some extra motivation! I currently weigh 152 pounds but I would prefer to weigh 142, maybe by christmas!
  • kjnicol
    kjnicol Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We start 2morrow!!! I hope everyone is excited, I know I am!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: