Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I need support for this journey

Hello everyone, I need to lose 50+ pounds. I am a female truck driver and while I can cook in my truck it is so hard to get any exercise at all. I do need to lose this weight so I am tracking everything and eating a lower carb lifestyle. I have just started tracking everything and that helps me be more accountable! Wish me luck I am sure going to need it.
Tagged:

Replies

• lovemyfitpal
    lovemyfitpal Posts: 4 Member
    Hello Bgaskins. There is so much great info on here. One thing I am trying is to add 20 second exercise bombs. So, for example, when you stop to check your load, count out 20 seconds while you do fast marching in place. Depending upon your fitness level, you can do high knees, or modify so you don't hurt yourself. It's just "one and done". Put sticky not somewhere on your dash that says "20 seconds. you got this". and every time you get out of your truck do something. Of course if you are self conscious this might be an issue...but on the other hand people will see you are doing smart things for your health so there is that. Maybe try leaning against the deck and doing standing push ups. 20 seconds. It sounds like nothing but it all adds up. I got in the habit of doing slow "walking lunges" every time I went out the door of the house. 20 every single time. You can do small things that add up. That is my suggestion, but you need to find what works for you. Also...stretching is so important. If you can put your heel on your bottom step and stretch your hamstrings (hold for 30 seconds each leg) and then brace yourself against the truck and pull one heel towards your butt...grab at ankle and stretch your quad muscle (large muscle front of leg) and hold for 30. I am saying all of this to myself as I type this as a reminder of what I can do for myself. Let's focus on what we can do! Oh..and one final message...try clenching and releasing your muscles while you drive. It all adds up. All the best
  • Bgaskins11068
    Bgaskins11068 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you these are some great ideals! I will start with stretching and walking as much as possible even if it’s around the truck. Soon I will get some hand weights and start slowly. I just keep telling myself “ one day at a time”. I want to build a routine so I don’t slip out of new habits . Thank you for your suggestion!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Its great that you will cook your own food- that gives you much more control
  • Bgaskins11068
    Bgaskins11068 Posts: 3 Member
    It definitely helps. I have been doing very good, keeping calories just under 1200 and doing lower carb. I am hoping to keep on a good track.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    One comment, which you may not welcome: 1200 is quite a low goal. If you end up losing (on average) more than 0.5-1% of your current weight per week after trying this for a month or so (whole menstrual cycle if you have those), I'd suggest considering dialing back the loss rate a bit.

I know we all want to lose weight fast - I sure did - but too-low calorie aggressive loss has health and energy risks. Some women need to eat as low as 1200 to lose well, but it's too low for many others. (It was too low for me at age 60, average height, overweight BMI with around 50 to lose, sedentary outside of exercise. I got weak and fatigued . . . suddenly, after a few weeks' honeymoon period where I felt great, energetic, not hungry. Then, even though I corrected quickly, it took multiple weeks to recover normal strength/energy. No one needs that!)

There's a lot of popular mythology that all women need to eat 1200 or less, but it's just that: Mythology. Some do, many don't.

I'm sure with a safety-sensitive job, you'd want to be cautious.

I'm not trying to be critical: Maybe think of me as a concerned internet auntie who wants you to stay safe, healthy and energetic while also reaching your weight-loss goals. That's where I'm coming from.

Best wishes!
  • mmlea2014
    mmlea2014 Posts: 1 Member
    I agree AnnPT77. I've read many articles that say 1,200 is too low of calories. It's possible it will slow down your metabolism also.
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 60 Member
  • _Tannieverse
    _Tannieverse Posts: 6 Member
    Remember weight loss is a time taking process and u must need a lot of patience so NEVER GIVE UP QUEEEN AND GOOD LUCK!! <3