Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are some good recipes?

PatrickMorille
PatrickMorille Posts: 1 Member
I just started my journey into the dieting world, and I was wondering if I could get some tips and recipes to begin.

Answers

• ammajay916
    ammajay916 Posts: 6 Member
    I have found several good recipes on the website for the American Heart Association. Right now my favorite from there is Chicken with Napa Cabbage and Rice Noodles. Really yummy and about 370 calories per serving. I’ve made it with Napa cabbage, spinach, and kale - whatever I have in the fridge.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    That's a big question: It might help us help you if we knew what kind of foods you enjoy (or don't).

Generally, any calorie appropriate food is fine. The idea that there are "diet foods" a person exclusively has to eat is kind of cartoon-ish. Even so-called "junk food" or "fast food" has nutrition. It's mostly that those things tend to be calorie dense in so-called normal portions. But some supposedly healthy foods are also calorie dense, like avocados, nuts, olive oil, seeds, etc. What we need is a balance of foods we enjoy, that keep us generally full and happy most of the time, and average out over a few days to reasonable nutrition and appropriate calories.

If you want to explore recipes, there a hundreds of web sites that specialize in lower-calorie or lighter foods, and a web search will find you lots of them. The post above recommends the American Heart Association site, and many other mainstream health organizations have similar information. (If your family tends to certain health conditions, that might give you a place to start).

Another resource is the recipe section of the MFP Blogs, here:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/meal-planning-recipes/

You can use the search (magnifying glass icon) to search for particular ingredients or types of recipes. Recipes from the blog that I've made have been tasty.

There are also a lot of threads here in the Community where people share recipes or photos of their meals: Look around, get ideas. If you have questions, ask them in the thread.

If you cook, another option is to take a look at dishes you enjoy now, and think about how to lighten them up calorie-wise. You can ask other people here how to do that (like asking for a lower-calorie way to make lasagna or enchiladas or whatever) plus there are threads like this one that talk about substitutes that are lower in calories:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10917588/low-cal-substitutes#latest

Don't worry, you don't have to get everything perfect every day starting from day 1. Evolving your eating toward lower calories and better nutrition can work, and be less demanding than trying to revolutionize everything all in one jump.

Best wishes: The results are worth the effort!
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 225 Member
    Plenty to choose from here. The drop downs have different eating options or you can use keywords to search for things you like:

https://www.eatingwell.com/

fuu8eqrkint2.png
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    fitmencook.com has hundreds of good recipes.
    A number of them call for spice blends sold on the site, but it isnt hard to find the ingredients to those and mix your own.