extra skin?

Options
I lost almost 100 lbs and have lots of extra skin did anyone have this issue and uf so how did you fix it?

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Strength training at the gym :)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I lost 275 lbs (went from 475 to 200) and had to spent $ 30,000 on cosmetic surgery to remove over 16 lbs of excess skin. Your issue may not be nearly as severe, or cost nearly as much, but cosmetic surgery is what removes extra skin, period. You cannot exercise it off. There is no "cream" to help it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st off congrats. You look wonderful.

I've lost about 92 lbs of fat (built some muscle over the last 2 years) and still have some skin issues that frustrated the hell out of me. It has gotten better over time.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    I lost 275 lbs (went from 475 to 200) and had to spent $ 30,000 on cosmetic surgery to remove over 16 lbs of excess skin. Your issue may not be nearly as severe, or cost nearly as much, but cosmetic surgery is what removes extra skin, period. You cannot exercise it off. There is no "cream" to help it.

This^

Unfortunately one of the biggest drawbacks when losing a lot of weight.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • msranney
    Options
    :( The first time I read it I thought it said 3,000 and I got hopeful. I haven't lost it yet, but I plan on it and this is one of my biggest worries.
  • rockylucas
    Options
    Yeah, depending on how overweight you are when you begin your journey, how long you have been overweight, etc, excess skin is simply going to be a reality once you hit your goal weight. While it can be frustrating and be a financial issue, I see it as just one more step in the journey. My years of poor choices and morbid obesity created a blanket of extra skin which I had to go into debt to remove. Annoying yes, but also life-changing once I made the decision to take care of it.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85lbs and have loose skin round my stomach and inner thighs. I've been doin weight training for 3 years along with cardio. Still hasn't moved much of the skin around. :indifferent: I will have to pay $12,400 for a tummy tuck and inner thigh surgery:sick:
  • rockylucas
    Options
    Ms. Ranney,

I had four seperate procedures, a circumferential abdominoplasty, (basically a tummy tuck which goes all the way around to your back... localized back skin removal, skin excision from under my arms (bat wings), and my man titties cut off (LOL)!

In addition to that, I did not choose a local plastic surgeon, I chose one more nationally/internationally respected and traveled for my procedures.

Therefore, don't look at my costs and panic and think that is the average, it is not. If you don't have as much to lose as I did, are comfortable with a local surgeon, and only opt for 1-2 procedures, the costs are much lower.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Yeah, depending on how overweight you are when you begin your journey, how long you have been overweight, etc, excess skin is simply going to be a reality once you hit your goal weight. While it can be frustrating and be a financial issue, I see it as just one more step in the journey. My years of poor choices and morbid obesity created a blanket of extra skin which I had to go into debt to remove. Annoying yes, but also life-changing once I made the decision to take care of it.

This is quite inspiring, wish I could rep you in some way
  • rockylucas
    Options
    Goalseeker, my inner thighs was to be my "next" procedure but I have never got around to it. It would be a $ 9,000 procedure. At this point the money does not exist, I am used to my legs for what they are, so I worry about it less and less as time goes by.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    flopping, I mean bumping, for later.
  • rockylucas
    Options
    Thank you PbJunkie :)

The next step in my journey is to finally get in shape, meaning having significant lean muscle mass, being able to do pushups, situps, pullups, being strong, etc. I am "skinny" but not really in shape or strong, and no matter how much surgery you have, ONLY busting your *kitten* in the gym can give you an attractive physique. SO that's my next goal
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    I lost 111 lbs from 310 lbs and had excess skin too. I went in to talk with the surgeon to get some idea. It will cost me around $8,000. And yes it is the only way to get rid of the excess skins. It's SAD that when someone had trouble with obesity and trying to lose weight. Like for me, I was developed with PCOS, it was something I did not want to have but it just happened to be there and it MADE it harder to lose weight, EVEN when I am eating healthy and exercising, it STILL hard to lose weight and such a big struggle for me. Then I was surprisingly got pregnant (which I was told I could never have one) then after the baby was born, I end up had 4 deadly bacterial infection from C-Section which almost cause me to die. They had to do the emergency surgery again and put the mesh in to prevent the colons from falling apart. So since then I couldn't DO NOTHING for one year as I was on bed rest from the serious surgery. BUT then after 1 year, I immediately went back to my exercising routine and eating healthy, I DROP lost of weight..then the doctor said I don't have PCOS anymore. I was impressed with it but wasn't happy with excess skin. So the only way to get rid of it is the cosmetic surgery.

Hope everyone find their journey happy and healthy be positive.. god is on your side!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

This!
    I lost over 120 pounds and tried for 10 years to tighten up the skin on my belly to no avail!! I finally had a tummy tuck in May and the Dr said nothing but surgery would have helped the excess skin. I am planning on getting my thighs done sometime in the next 3-4 months!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the question is...how much should I expect to pay for a tummy tuck? I don't have a lot of loose skin but enough to piss me off.

Look at my picture and tell me if you think I should even pursue it. I would appreciate any feedback.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This is actually pretty depressing.

Any form of surgery simply isn't an option for me money wise.

So even when i get to my goal, i still wont be able to take my shirt off.

=/
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Ok, so the question is...how much should I expect to pay for a tummy tuck? I don't have a lot of loose skin but enough to piss me off.

Look at my picture and tell me if you think I should even pursue it. I would appreciate any feedback.

I checked out your pics and I dont see any loose skin that you are talking about at all. If I were you I def. would not spend the money on it! I think you look great!
    I seriously had a huge bulge of skin hanging over my belly button! Even though I had lost so much weight I still couldnt wear fitted shirts because the bulge was so obvious!!
    the cost for me was roughly $8500 I cant remember the exact amt. that is the going rate for the New England area.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    This is actually pretty depressing.

Any form of surgery simply isn't an option for me money wise.

So even when i get to my goal, i still wont be able to take my shirt off.

=/

Dont despair, not everyone that loses a lot of weight ends up with baggy hanging skin. It depends on alot of factors including where the bulk of the weight is, and genetics, how you carry the weight, height, etc. I lost over 120pounds and even thought I didnt lose it that quickly, because I had gained so much, my skin got all stretched out.!!
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    reading this thread is inspiring and depressing to me that the same time...

ive lost 85lbs with about 70lbs more to do...

ive been doing cardio, strength training and eating right from the beginning with the hope that my skin may bounce back and allow me to have somewhat of a normal body without lots of excess skin and not have a need for surgery...

i guess i better start an extra savings account for this surgery just in case...i guess on the bright side if i can get away without getting the surgery we will be able to go on a great holiday!