Protein intake

cheryljm94
cheryljm94 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 20 in Food and Nutrition
A diet that has gone viral is called 30-30-30. Part of which says to eat thirty grams of protein within thirty minutes of waking up. Researching it on a medical website. I found "20 to 25 grams. That means the most your body can absorb in one sitting is around 25 grams of protein. In this case, “one sitting” refers to the time over the course of 1.5-2 hours. Broken down by hour, the body can absorb fast-digesting proteins like whey at a rate of roughly 10 grams per hour, per the study." I also found if you produce too much of the hormone ghrelin (tells you that you are hungry. Another hormone tells you when your full) protein packed breakfast will help hunger later in the day. I am drinking 10 g of protein through a bone broth. Drink and five grams of protein in a pumpkin protein supplement. Within 30 minutes of rising. What do you think of protein? And how do you get your daily amount? What is your experience? I also read that when you've had surgery. You need to bump up your daily protein to eighty milligrams per day to help you heal
Tagged:

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,526 Member
    Well I eat anywhere from 100-130g protein just for my daily life. The latest science suggests that you can absorb more than 30g of protein in one go - it was an old study, with a limited reach. It’s generally a good idea to spread your protein out through the day but in my personal experience, hitting the numbers for health or weight loss is more important than the timing. Some people find protein very filling and it won’t spike the blood sugar like some carbs can.

I do have protein shakes or bars for convenience but I much prefer to eat my protein, in fish, veggies like peas, chicken etc. when I can.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,723 Member
    Protein timing is mostly myth. Just get your daily target in, whenever. That's the most important thing.

There's no downside to what you're doing there, OP. It just isn't necessary.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 479 Member
    cheryljm94 wrote: »
    I also read that when you've had surgery. You need to bump up your daily protein to eighty milligrams per day to help you heal

that's 8/100ths of one gram. Your post-surgery recovery diet should be what your doctor tells you.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    I don't get protein within 30 minutes of rising. I couldn't even if I wanted to. (I'm hypothyroid, need to take the meds for it after I get up, then wait at least 30 minutes before eating.)

I agree with others that protein timing mostly isn't a big deal, and that the key thing is to get very adequate total amounts of protein over the course of the day . . . with one exception. There are reasonable research suggestions that aging people (maybe 50 or 55+, but certainly 65+) do better if protein is spread throughout the day, because many of us metabolize it less efficiently as we age. (I'm 68. You're probably younger. This is a run-down of the evidence for older folks: https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext)

I do find that a solid breakfast with plenty of protein does help me manage hunger/appetite, personally. I don't use protein supplements. I don't think there's anything wrong with them, I just don't find them as tasty or satisfying as regular food, so I stick with regular food. As a long term (50 years) vegetarian, quite a lot of my protein comes from dairy (which I love) or traditional soy foods. (I also don't like faux meats, so I avoid those, too.)

I believe in setting protein (and fats) goals in grams and as minimums to reach or exceed. My protein minimum is a round number just above 1g per pound of my estimated lean mass. I often exceed it by a good bit. I've had no indication that I'm getting too little protein: Over a period of years eating this way, strength and muscle mass seem to be behaving as I'd expect given my activity levels.

The link below has (IMO) a good protein guide, and an associated research-based protein needs "calculator". This is not a site that sells protein supplements, diet/exercise plans, or anything of that sort. Their business is analyzing and summarizing nutritional research in consumer-understandable forms. A lot of information is available free at their site, presumably to give people an idea of what they offer.

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

Curmudgeonly comment: Maybe I'm an old crank, but I feel like the more viral a thing is, the more likely it's flawed in some way (in large measure because often someone somewhere is boosting the idea for profit, if only the profit from selling internet ads).

I don't like the 30-30-30 idea because I do think we need a certain minimum of protein (and fats).

If a person eats too few calories, they're potentially not going to get enough protein at 30% of calories. If a person can healthfully eat lots of calories, then they don't necessarily need as many as 30% of calories to be protein: Protein tends to be one of the more expensive nutrients, and excess protein is just expensive energy. (It's theoretically possible for too much protein to be a bad thing in at least some cases, but most healthy people won't hit that level.)

It seems likely that someone healing (from surgery or whatever) may need extra protein, but I don't know how much extra. Eighty milligrams doesn't seem like much extra at all. I'm just some random idiot on the internet, but it seems like the amount extra needed would vary depending on the surgery, like if they crack my chest open to jimmy my heart, maybe lots; if they just do some small surface or laparoscopic procedure, maybe not as much. But what do I know? :D

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,117 Member
    edited August 21
    Nobody should be eating soon after they wake up, it messes with our metabolism and especially for people with IR or diabetes. We have hormones that need to have time to take effect that optimize our metabolic health and sets us up for the day ahead metabolically speaking, and eating will and does interrupt those functions. Personally I don't eat for a couple of hours after waking for this reason, well, most of the time but I'm mindful of this fact. Basically it's not ideal even though Kellogg et al say otherwise. :#

Without getting into the minutia, we can't make up for the lack of protein required for immediate repair and growth of our tissues, all cells and tissue in general, which is ongoing and an around the clock activity and can't be made up by consuming the lions share of protein at dinner for example, so basically spreading it out is to our metabolic and hormonal balance advantage, with age impacting that in spades. imo.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,076 Member
    Protein should be figured in grams and not percentages of your overall calories. Protein timing unless you’re a hard-core bodybuilder doesn’t really matter just as long as you get your target amount in every day.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 90 Member
    Eh.... I'm not even thinking about eating anything within 30 minutes of waking up. I do try to eat 20-30g of protein with breakfast/morning snacks though. I feel more awake, energetic, and functional if I have a good amount of protein at breakfast. I also feel less snackish throughout the rest of my work day.

I don't typically eat protein powders/supplements (although I have in the past, and have nothing against them as long as they're not packed with gross ingredients). I get protein through yogurt, eggs, chicken, nuts, nut butters, etc.

This is just what I've figured out for myself over years of trying to get my diet right, and not a recommendation that everybody else should be the same.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,076 Member
    cheryljm94 wrote: »
    I also read that when you've had surgery. You need to bump up your daily protein to eighty milligrams per day to help you heal

that's 8/100ths of one gram. Your post-surgery recovery diet should be what your doctor tells you.
    most doctors have no clue regarding nutrition

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 299 Member
    edited August 22
    Losing weight is function of a calorie deficit. Period. Eating sufficient protein will keep you from losing muscle mass as you lose that weight. Eating a high protein meal early in the day will leave you less hungry throughout the day and make it easier to tolerate a calorie deficit, but it doesn't have to be 30 minutes after you wake up to be effective. In fact, if you plan on exercising early, eating so early will force you to work out on a full stomach and that's not going to feel very good.

Medical websites present a combination of good info, bad info, and irrelevant info with conclusions based on very specific, limited context, so there's no magic there either. Don't forget that people come in all shapes and sizes, packing completely different metabolisms, muscle mass, and hormonal profiels. If you eat more than 30 grams of protein in a single setting, absorption depends greatly on the form factor - powder vs chicken don't absorb at the same speed, so I call BS on hard and fast rules, but spreading it out over multiple meals will make it easier to digest.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,447 Member
    You're aiming for 100% perfection for what one study calls the average person.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    But we're individuals.
    I don't eat as much protein as many people push. But my favorite foods are meat, fish, milk, butter, yogurt etc., so I do get a lot of protein. The older I get(I'm 74), the more important it is to me to get an adequate amount early enough in the morning to carry me through the day.
    But you're not me. And you're probably not the average person in the study you read.
    Start where you are. Do better. Aim for what makes you healthy and happy 😊.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,259 Member
    First of all….the urp factor with any sentence containing “viral” and “diet”.

I guess I’m an outlier. I shoot for twice that protein amount per day, and when I roll out of bed, breakfast better be on the table within 30 minutes or I’m a grumpy Gus. And it better be a fueling breakfast - meaning lots of protein- for my morning workouts.

I space my protein out during the day. Even snacks are chosen on protein content for the most part, other than the daily popcorn lately. But that’s cool, because I’d love my snacks anyway. 👍🏻

No viral diet suffering here!
  • Jtw333
    Jtw333 Posts: 3 Member
    You have to remember 1st that this is not a 1 type fits all scenario. The large majority of people will absorb less than 20g protein per meal. There's a reason why meat heads like me eat more than 5 times a day. Protein powders have less absorption as well. If you are fasted for more that 7 hours or so overnight there is no known issue with consuming protein 1st thing. I've eaten the same bfast for over 7 yrs now with no issues. As I mentioned at the start, you have to do whats best for you. This means experimenting daily and weekly. Start off a little at a time and track the best you can with the app. Give it at least a week at a time to see how you adjust. This will take time so be patient. Don't overcomplicate the basic principles of what your goals are.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,117 Member
    edited September 6
    Jtw333 wrote: »
    You have to remember 1st that this is not a 1 type fits all scenario. The large majority of people will absorb less than 20g protein per meal. There's a reason why meat heads like me eat more than 5 times a day. Protein powders have less absorption as well. If you are fasted for more that 7 hours or so overnight there is no known issue with consuming protein 1st thing. I've eaten the same bfast for over 7 yrs now with no issues. As I mentioned at the start, you have to do whats best for you. This means experimenting daily and weekly. Start off a little at a time and track the best you can with the app. Give it at least a week at a time to see how you adjust. This will take time so be patient. Don't overcomplicate the basic principles of what your goals are.

Your referring to muscle protein synthesis only. All protein consumed will be metabolized for different purposes like enzyme production, hormone regulation, immune function, pH regulation, fluid regulation and so on. There will be a portion, although small, and on average of about 0.15g daily, that will be excreted.

Protein powders are not absorbed any less and are also absorbed more quickly than whole foods. I'm talking about whey protein powder.