Potassium and vitamins

What are the best sources of Potassium, vitamin A and vitumin C since according to my nutrition stats I don't seem to be having enough (sorry if this sounds ignorant)

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Eat colorful vegetables such as carrots, orange/yellow/red bell peppers, sweet potatoes, and cooked tomatoes, dark leafy greens such as spinach or kale, broccoli, potatoes, oranges. These will give you ample amounts of vitamins A and C.

It's quite possible that you are actually getting enough potassium without realizing it, since many foods we consume on a daily basis contain potassium but the information is not on the label, thus it will not be in the food's nutrition info in the MFP database.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    For one thing, are you choosing correct entries from the database? Are you verifying them against something else? It's pretty rare for someone to not get enough vitamin C or A if they're eating reasonably well.

As for potassium, it is not required to publish potassium on food labels...that's where most of the entries are coming from so it's likely that you're already eating foods that have potassium, it's just not published on the label and thus isn't present in the data base entry.

At any rate, google is your friend here...

https://draxe.com/top-10-potassium-rich-foods/

just for starters...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Try and eat a baked potato or sweet potato with your dinner each night. I also eat a banana for breakfast (or half of one cut up in my cereal). But everyone here is right, you are getting more than what MFP tells you, because it isn't a required item on a label yet. I think the new rules do require it though; not sure when they take effect.
  • Jello1954
    Jello1954 Posts: 2 Member
    I am glad you asked the question. I also seem to be extremely short on Potassium every single day. I Googled symptoms of low potassium, and just keep those in mind, in case I do truly get too low. That is good to know about the labeling.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For one thing, are you choosing correct entries from the database? Are you verifying them against something else? It's pretty rare for someone to not get enough vitamin C or A if they're eating reasonably well.

As for potassium, it is not required to publish potassium on food labels...that's where most of the entries are coming from so it's likely that you're already eating foods that have potassium, it's just not published on the label and thus isn't present in the data base entry.

At any rate, google is your friend here...

https://draxe.com/top-10-potassium-rich-foods/

just for starters...

Good to know this about potassium. That's where I was low on here, but I do eat healthy, so I'm probably fine based on that.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Jello1954 wrote: »
    I am glad you asked the question. I also seem to be extremely short on Potassium every single day. I Googled symptoms of low potassium, and just keep those in mind, in case I do truly get too low. That is good to know about the labeling.

If you mean the entries on your diary,as said above it's because potassium levels are rarely stated on food labels. If you're worried you can have your levels checked- when I Googled it it said that low potassium levels are rare and high potassium can be just as bad.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Vitamin A is in high amounts in the liver of the animal. You can have beef liver once every 2 weeks or so. Carrots contain a lot of beta-carotene which becomes ,vitamin A once it's in the body.Pumpkins ,red peppers ,broccoli, herring,sweet potatoes.Be careful though, vitamin A is fat soluble,it accumulates in the liver and too much of it is toxic.
    Vitamin c is in all citrus fruits in big amounts. Oranges, lemons, kiwi, mandarin, etc.
    Potassium is in high quantities in bananas.
  • DonnMeindertsma
    DonnMeindertsma Posts: 1 Member
    Eating healthy but I hardly ever get any Vitamin A according to my nutrition goals. Granted I don’t eat carrots, sweet potatoes, kale etc everyday. Other commenters suggest we get enough Vitamin A through regular diets — but if I don’t regularly eat the few foods known to be high in Vitamin A, where does it come from?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Eating healthy but I hardly ever get any Vitamin A according to my nutrition goals. Granted I don’t eat carrots, sweet potatoes, kale etc everyday. Other commenters suggest we get enough Vitamin A through regular diets — but if I don’t regularly eat the few foods known to be high in Vitamin A, where does it come from?

Probably from foods with moderate or low vitamin A, taken in combination? Maybe varies individually where it come from? For whatever reason, Vitamin A deficiency is considered rare in the US, and I suspect similar would be true of other developed countries.

Personally, I've found solid information in some of the US NIH fact sheets on various nutrients, and I usually like the professional version better than the consumer ones:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/

That fact sheet does list some of the other natural (i.e., food) sources, or fortified foods with vitamin A, and describes symptoms of deficiency and risks of excess.

For myself, for nutrients I'm concerned about but that I know MFP food data may not accurately represent, what I've done is take a couple of days that are fairly typical of my routine eating patterns, and do a spot-check of those days for that nutrient using a more complete source, such as this one:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/

That's a little laborious, but once I felt reassured that I was doing OK with my routine habits, it wasn't a thing I needed to repeat over and over. YMMV.

Best wishes!