Trying to make my MFP friends happy ... I need your help.

Options
Hey I've made my diary open to my MFP friends a couple of weeks ago... And they noticed my eating is off.. I dont eat enough, etc. Well they have been giving me really good tips on how to snack more, etc. But I realize that I don't cook often (very rare) because I'm a very very busy collee student who just don't have time and it gets to the pint where can get so busy, I just won't eat... They encourage me to eat more.... And then I noticed on the weekends I tend to binge like crazy because I'm not as busy... Well here is the help that I need: is anyone willing to send me easy buy heathly food ideas (specifically for dinner) I always skip it... Can someone like email me overtime, your weekly meal plans or something to keep me on the go... I'm work best with structure and unfortunately, my eating patterns are so unstructured and it's just really bothering me... They are teaching me how to snack, but I want to start eating more of my calories. They inspire me so much, I really want to make then proud of me. They understand my busy life but I know they care, that they want me to eat alot more... -- which is another reason why I'm stuck on losing weight . But anything will help. I would appreciate it! Help me make them proud of me :)

Replies

• sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How about on the weekends when you have time, plan out your meals for the week and get your shopping done and do whatever prep you can? There are plenty of ideas online and in food magazines for quick and easy meals. Once you have a couple of weekly menus you can always rotate them :o)
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for but my trainer suggested microwaving chicken breast in the Ziploc Microwave Steam Bags. It takes 3-5 minutes and is delicious. =0) You can microwave a potato as well. Just poke holes in it on all sides, wrap it in saran wrap and stick it for 5-9 minutes depending on the size and type. Yummy!! I also, tend to make one large salad on Sunday night that I eat off of all week. Just a couple of thoughts.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific recipe here, but a strategy. When you have some extra time on the weekends, use that time to prepare food for the week. Rice, beans, chicken, clean and slice fruits and veggies - you can even portion at this time, freeze or put in the refrigerator and they are all ready to grab and go during the week. No need to cook all week.
  • Bratkins
    Options
    I will make a lot of food and eat it for dinner for a few days. I will baked 6-10 chicken breasts and steam a whole bunch of veggies and brown rice and eat that for a few days. Stir fry also works well and is healthy as long as you don't go too crazy with the sauce. Spinach Quesadillas are good, use low fat cheese. If you make those three things for one week, you can add chicken to to Quesadillas one day or eat the stir fry as a wrap. Friend me if you want and I can give you some specifics, through a message...etc. I love to cook and I have helped my super busy cousin in the past. :)
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how that goes :-) My biggest suggestion is to keep a lot of healthy snacks around and to try and make premade meals. I find that if I take the time on a weekend to make my meals/plan my meals for the week, it helps so so so much.

I'm proud that you're making this effort. It's hard as a college student.

Have you tried Morningstar veggie sausages? They are PACKED with protein (but low in calories), taste like real meat, and only take 45 sec in the microwave. Another idea is to load up on yogurts and eat that in between classes for a little pick-me-up energy boost.

How much time do you have to prepare meals during the week? We can always chat further through messaging since I'm finally discovering good ways to cook quickly.
  • Chef2B
    Options
    Since you do find time to do the binge eating, why not turn that time into looking up easy recipes (I like allrecipes.com) and go grocery shopping. You can make a couple of big meals and break them down for the whole week. You can also do that with snacks too. This will definitely keep your calorie count in check.
    I am a Mom, work full time, and I'm a full time student that has class every M and W night, and then all day on Saturdays, so I understand what it means to not have the time.
    If you're not sure where to start, just do simple stuff first... Get some chicken breasts (if that's something you like) some veggies, and a starch.... get some plastic containers, and pack enough for all week. After you get the hang of it, start looking up recipes that you can make in a short amount of time, and will feed enough for however long you want.

Good luck to you!!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can also buy fully cooked chicken breast patties at Sam's (probably the regular grocery store too). They are wonderful for making a quick chicken sandwich, chicken on a bed of salad, or chicken salad. You can chop it up when you do have time, add in greek yogurt and a couple tablespoons of mayonaise, chopped onion, celery, grapes and walnuts, salt and pepper and package it up in a couple small containers you can grab on the go. It's very good. I get so much use out of that bag of chicken breasts and they take about 3 minutes to cook in the microwave and are very juicy and good.
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do what some others here have suggested. I used my weekend time and I make large amounts of healthy meals that I can portion out and heat up later during the week when I'm too busy to take the time to cook. I make a lot of soups and stews that do well with being frozen too that I can thaw out and eat in a pinch. Its all about taking the free time you do have and making the most of it to make your life run more smoothly.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Those are really good tips.. Majority rules on preparing foods in advance... Some of my MFP friends suggested that too... I love chicken breast, and so I can cook that, and I use it in salads, sub sandwiches, etc. I guess I was looking for more diversity and variety. But all these tips are very very useful! Thanks so much... I need to make them proud... They will start to see I'm eating more and eating most of my calories.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues...and some things that have helped me: Make something on the weekend when you have time, a pot a chili, beef stew or something. You can freeze portions for later. Also, easy go-to foods: individual portions of brown rice that you just micro, pre-cooked chicken strips (add to many things), greek yogurt and frozen steamable veggies. These all help me stay on track with the little time I have to cook!! Good luck to ya
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    I shop on Friday and prep meals on Saturday. You can freeze all these then just cook throughout the week. I separate each recipe into two meals so I have 6 days worth of meals and I just add steamed veggies or whatever.

Crisp Crab Cakes
    Recipe courtesy Ellie Krieger for of Food Network Magazine
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons nonfat milk
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    Dash of hot sauce
    1 pound lump crab or crab claw meat, picked over
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    Olive-oil cooking spray
    Directions
    Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and bell
    pepper and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
    Mix 1/2 cup panko, the egg and milk in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the Worcestershire sauce,
    mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay and hot sauce; fold in the crabmeat, panko mixture, scallionbell pepper
    mixture, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Shape into 8 patties and refrigerate 30 minutes.
    Coat the crab cakes with the remaining 1/2 cup panko. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the
    skillet over medium-high heat. Mist the crab cakes with cooking spray and cook, sprayed-side down, 3 to
    4 minutes. Spray the tops, flip and cook 3 to 4 more minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
    Per serving (2 crab cakes): Calories 220; Fat 9 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 155 mg; Sodium 630 mg;
    Carbohydrate 8 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 26 g

Vegetable Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay for Food Network Magazine
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small zucchini, finely diced
    1 red bell pepper, finely diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
    5 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (90 percent lean)
    1 cup panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs)
    1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, bell
    peppers, garlic paste and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the
    vegetables are almost soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2
    tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined.
    Gently press the mixture into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup
    balsamic vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a small bowl; brush the mixture over the entire
    loaf. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
    Per serving: Calories 270; Fat 14 g (Sat. 4.2 g; Mono. 6.3 g; Poly. 3.1 g); Cholesterol 104 mg; Sodium
    451 mg; Carbohydrate 16 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 20 g

Turkey and Spinach Lasagna
    Directions
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    3T dried Basil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 (16-ounce) container 1 percent low-fat cottage cheese
    1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    8 ounces Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage
    9 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles, 5 1/2-ounces, (recommended: Barilla)
    1 1/2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, 6 ounces
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small pot bring the tomatoes, wine, 1 ½ T Basil Leaves, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, to a simmer; cook until slightly thickened, 10 minutes; set aside.
    2. Meanwhile, mix the cottage cheese in the bowl of a food processor until smooth. add the ricotta, spinach, 1 ½ T basil, nutmeg, and salt and pepper and pulse until just combined; set aside.
    3. Assemble the lasagna: Mist a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, half the ricotta mixture, half the sausage and 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with sauce, noodles, remaining ricotta and sausage and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the noodles are tender and the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the pan, 1 hour.
    5. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and continue to bake until melted, 10 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve.
    Nutritional analysis per serving
    Calories 350; Total Fat 12.5g (Sat Fat 5g, Mono Fat 3g, Poly Fat 1.5g); Protein 29g; Carb 30g; Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 36mg; Sodium 848mg
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Some foods that I've had good success with preparing in advance, freezing and re-heating later:
    - Burritos (either chicken, beef or shrimp with rice, beans and salsa)
    - Turkey breast (Buy a small pre-packaged whole turkey breast, bake it and cut it into thick slices)
    - Chili or Soup
    - Pork Chops (grilled or baked)
    - Mac 'n' Cheese (I make my own homemade, no little blue box for this guy)
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As long as you are proud of yourself xx

Quick and easy, Turkey, fried with onion and garlic, add tomatoes small ones, add a tin of chopped toms, herbs to tast, dish up after simmer for 5/10 mins.

Can have with rice cakes, or rice or on a bed of spinach xx

I have loads of quick things to make you can also freeze that and defrost on another day xxx Made a job lot! xx

Omelets are good for breakfast x

You are doing so well and coming on so well xxxx
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for taking the time out to give me those recipes... I copied and pasted all your advice into my obssessed collection of notes.. Thanks everyone!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    How about on the weekends when you have time, plan out your meals for the week and get your shopping done and do whatever prep you can? There are plenty of ideas online and in food magazines for quick and easy meals. Once you have a couple of weekly menus you can always rotate them :o)

This ^ I'm extremely busy as well, as are most people :) My only down day is Sunday, I take about 2 hours on Sunday to plan for the week, run to the store and get what I'm going to need then prep as much as I can. We have fresh made from scratch dinner every night and they are usually ready with in 30 minutes, then I make sure I plan enough for left overs to take to work for lunch the next day. I know it sounds like a drag to take time out of your free time to do this but it makes my week so much smoother and I feel better knowing my whole family is eating clean, whole, delicious food for most meals. I get most of my ideas out of magazines such as Light and Tasty and Clean Eating. Good luck!
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How about on the weekends when you have time, plan out your meals for the week and get your shopping done and do whatever prep you can?

^ This.

Successful weight losers always know what their next meal will be. I have a full time job, a husband and a 3 year old and hit the gym 3 times per week, cycle 3 times per week and ride my horse 3/4 times a week so free time is short (I mean non existant :laugh: ) I need to organise food with military precision. I batch cook things like cheat quiche (made with fat free cottage cheese instead of cream), chillis, stews etc and portion them and freeze. That way, I can always defrost something homemade and healthy. I make it an afternoon - I watch all my TV programs I have taped and cook away like a crazy person!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options

YES! I actually do this!