I want to loose atleast 20 lbs by December

Hey, Anyone can share some ideas to loose 20 pounds by December 2024.. I am Vegan and 3 years back i was 125 lbs and now its gone up by almost 18 lbs.. How do i shed off extra weight.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,856 Member
    You don't give us a lot of information, but I guess you're female, and currently around 143lbs? With this weight any weightloss will be slow. A small body just needs less calories to function, and a potential calorie deficit will be smaller in order to have all the nutrition you need. Set your weightloss goal to 0.5lbs per week, eat that amount of food, log your exercise and eat back a part of that and sit back. With only 18 weeks back you won't manage to lose 20lbs (it's likely physically not possible) but you can make a start at it. Good luck, and please ask questions if you have any.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    That’s more than a pound a week and since you’re not super heavy that will be difficult. Shoot for less.
  • tamarastamenic3
    tamarastamenic3 Posts: 1 Member
    I would personally go for more frequent exercise routine - low weight, more repetition (to increase your muscle mass, not by making them bigger, but to make them stronger). As activated muscle tissue after few weeks of low impact, but continuous exercise, as a respond, produce more mitochondria who are responsible for burning energy even hours after (while you sleep)... just dont over do it, because it could have negative impact. Also, it would not be bad to introduce massage therapy (maderotherapy), as it could activate your lymphatic sistem, and water excess drainage... Of course, cut off all carbs, but keep some fruits (fresh ones), excluding bananas, dried fruits, dates, grape...
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    I would personally go for more frequent exercise routine - low weight, more repetition (to increase your muscle mass, not by making them bigger, but to make them stronger). As activated muscle tissue after few weeks of low impact, but continuous exercise, as a respond, produce more mitochondria who are responsible for burning energy even hours after (while you sleep)... just dont over do it, because it could have negative impact. Also, it would not be bad to introduce massage therapy (maderotherapy), as it could activate your lymphatic sistem, and water excess drainage... Of course, cut off all carbs, but keep some fruits (fresh ones), excluding bananas, dried fruits, dates, grape...
    so much incorrect info here

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    OP, I agree with others that if 20 pounds is all you have to lose, the most health-promoting, attractiveness-promoting way to lose it is slowly, maybe up to a pound a week for a while (first 10 pounds, say), but dropping to half a pound or slower later.

The calendar is not a good weight loss tool.

Cardio also increases mitochondria. In any case, the increased calorie burn (at rest) from increased exercise-induced mitochondrial activity is pretty minor.

There are even some suggestions from research that calorie restriction itself may increase mitochondrial activity.

High rep low weight strength exercise is a good thing, but not necessarily best. Fine-tuning strength exercise to get stronger but not add muscle mass is not a precision thing.

(If I have any muscle mass beyond typical for my demographic, it mostly came from high-rep, low-resistance work (not lifting BTW), so "oops" to the idea that high rep/low weight won't add mass. Slower mass gain, probably, sure.)

Exercising is great for a body, ideally both strength and cardio exercise. But over-exercising is pretty much always a bad plan - strength or cardio or the combination - but perhaps especially counter-productive when trying to lose weight, so you're right on that one, IMO.

Completely wrong that carbs are universally a weight-loss deal-breaker, though. I ate probably 150g or so of carbs most days all the way through losing around 50 pounds, more like 225g+ now in long-term maintenance. That includes fruits like bananas/dates; starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, beans and corn; whole grains, dairy foods (yup, carbs in there, too); and . . . gasp! . . . the occasional cookies, cake, candy, pizza, beer, etc.

Some people find that low carb eating helps them manage appetite, or manage carbs closely because of a health condition like diabetes or insulin resistance. Those people will probably do better with reduced carbs. Other people find that low carb eating tanks their energy level. Those people should eat their carbs.

For those who didn’t hear me at the back: CARBS ARE NOT EVIL.

Preach, sister!