Motivation

I really want to lose weight, but I lose motivation really quickly, can someone please tell me what I can do?
Tagged:

Answers

• BenDeRue7769
    BenDeRue7769 Posts: 3 Member
    Get a group of friends together and play The biggest loser you all waiger $20 and at the end of 3 months the person with the highest weight loss percentage takes the pot
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    Hi there and welcome!

Here are my thoughts on motivation, having lost 70+ lbs myself:

There are types of motivation. I presume you have some sort of deeper motivation for wanting to do this? Mine was and is to feel better about myself and to avoid turning into my mother (so obese that she's out of breath after any little effort, depressed,...)

And then there's the more superficial, enthusiastic type of motivation. That motivation ('feeling like it' or raring to go) isn't what made me lose weight, it's is a finite resource and unreliable.

If I only did things I 'felt like' doing, my life would be in a sorry state 🙂 I would have rotten teeth (I don't particularly 'feel like' brushing my teeth), no one would want to be near me (washing myself or my clothes isn't the most fun thing either), my kitchen would be full of dirty dishes, my house would stink of cat poo/pee, I'd have a terrible credit score (for not paying my bills) etc.

I try to consider exercise or minding what I eat as a task like the ones mentioned above.
    It helps if you keep your routine and goals more or less enjoyable: a type of exercise you enjoy doing, at a reasonable frequency (don't aim for 1 hour of exercise each and every day if you are just starting, for example); foods you enjoy, in a reasonable amount (not banning all the foods you like or having a very low calorie goal).

It's okay to skip your exercise occasionally, or perhaps put in a minimal effort instead of a good one from time to time.
    Some examples:
    - you could say that if its a hard day, you allow yourself the option of stopping your exercise after 15 minuten instead of the full session
    - you could allow yourself a maximum number of days (for example 2) in a row to skip exercise

You could also plan for hard days:
    - have some easy meals in the freezer/ fridge as a backup option when cooking seems like a giant effort or there isn't enough time
    - do food prep in the weekend if you are regularly too busy on week days
    - exercise in the morning if it's too hard to fit it in in the evening (or vice versa: do it in the evening if its tricky to fit in in the morning)
    - always have your workout clothes ready if you think having to collect them is an extra barrier in starting a workout.
    - aim for maintenance calories instead of your weight loss calorie goal on very hard days

Set small intermediate goals and change your habits gradually, don't use motivation as the foundation of your weight-loss 🙂
  • SorenMoller
    SorenMoller Posts: 2 Member
    Motivation. For me, I find having a purpose is the most motivating of all. My purpose is to run run faster at the upcomming Half marathon on 15 September 2024. Secondary, I want to feel better about the way that I look in the mirror.
    Happy hunting!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    You need to find your motivation yourself. Everyone has a different reason to want to lose weight and become fitter. My current reason is that I regained weight after an accident due to sheer frustration. I'll have surgery soon that has certain aesthetic implication and I want to be back at my normal weight before. I'm losing super slow for that and make it a long-term project. Not more than half a pound per week weightloss. It's easy because I eat hardly less and don't notice this.

Your reason: You need to find it, really. Just wanting to wear that one bikini in 3 weeks is likely not a good reason: the time is too short and you'll likely give up thereafter. Find long-term goal and hold yourself accountable.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    I love what Leitchi said about giving yourself permission to stop after 15. I've done that before (just one short video in front of the TV) but once that one is over, I feel fine and can add a walk or do another video.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    As a hedonistic aging-hippie flake, I pretty much stink at motivation, discipline, willpower, and all that kind of stuff.

I focused on finding relatively easy, relatively pleasant, practical and sustainable new habits - eating and activity - that required the minimum of white-knuckled motivation to keep up. When I had a momentary burst of motivation, I'd try to figure out some manageable change I could make to improve my situation, and practice it until it became routine habit.

I feel like a lot of people try to make weight loss fast, so adopt really restrictive eating rules, then maybe stack punitively intense, unpleasant exercise on top of that. For me, that's not going to last long enough to lose a meaningful total amount of weight, let alone stay at a healthy weight long term once I get there.

For myself, I decided not to do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to continue long term to stay at a healthy weight, except for a sensibly moderate calorie deficit until I reached goal weight. At this point, I'm in year 8 at a healthy weight after about 30 years of being overweight to obese before loss.

No one approach is going to work for everyone, but that mindset shift has worked out pretty well for me . . . so far.

Best wishes for success: The results are worth the effort, in my experience!