Calories burned walking on the beach...

Options
I just read an article about the benefits of walking on the beach at DiscoverWalking.com. The article confirmed that you burn 20% -50% more calories walking on sand than on a hard surface. It also said that walking on the beach at a slower pace burns more calories than walking the beach at a fast pace (baffling).

So, I am going to create this exercise in MFP by calculating the calories burned when walking, then add 20% to that total and save it as Walking on the Beach.

Replies

• czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    woohoo...thats great to know! love walking on the beach on the weekends!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    surely the only way to be exact would walk with a HRM on as some of the walking calories on here are highly exaggerated, so be careful getting your original figure

just saying :smile:
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    surely the only way to be exact would walk with a HRM on as some of the walking calories on here are highly exaggerated, so be careful getting your original figure

just saying :smile:

Yea, I know... unfortunately I don't have an HRM... so I calculated adding 20% instead of something higher.... I'd rather be conservative.
  • FitterSlimMe
    FitterSlimMe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the link! I am always glad of inspirations, also I am going to the seaside next week for a little holiday. So your post was perfect timing! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I walk on the beach almost daily. Really an HRM isn't even that great at lower paced exercise. So I think the +20% rule sounds good!

Honestly, I always use the same formula for my walking, unless it is more than an hour.

Sand, hills, backpack, steps. Meh. It all comes out in the end. I'm not marathon walking.
  • maryshack
    maryshack Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well that does it. Im officially leaving you in Ohio and moving to some coast to better assist me in my weight loss goals. Didn't see that one coming did u mom??
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I envy anyone that can just walk on the beach at will.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunshynelb
    sunshynelb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! i am pretty surprised that they don't have this in MFP already. I guess it's cuz not everyone is fortunate enough to live near the beach, but still!
    Well, when I tried to do my own research, it lead me to your post. So, thanks! I will use your example to my make own entries on the beach walks.
    BTW, WTG on the 59lbs!!! Woot Woot!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would think it depends on how soft and how deep the sand is. Walking near the water on the hard-pack sand is just the same as walking on the sidewalk. Once you get into the soft stuff though, I can see how that would raise your HR.
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I was wondering this as well and will use it! :bigsmile:
  • cottosteiner
    cottosteiner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am about to go to the beach so glad to see this, but when I search for walking on the beach it does not find it? What's up with that?
  • Hair_gossip
    Hair_gossip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    walked for 3 hrs up and down beach today. but can't find it listed here or on fitbit.com WTH? my fit bit zip said we walked over 5 miles and burned 1200 + calories. but can not figure out how to convert it. ugh!!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I walk on the beach almost daily. Really an HRM isn't even that great at lower paced exercise. So I think the +20% rule sounds good!

Honestly, I always use the same formula for my walking, unless it is more than an hour.

Sand, hills, backpack, steps. Meh. It all comes out in the end. I'm not marathon walking.

Exactly what I was going to say. I'd consided the few extra calories are a bonus.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am about to go to the beach so glad to see this, but when I search for walking on the beach it does not find it? What's up with that?

I don't think that exercise we create goes into the user database unlike the food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread.

At least the person who bumped it must have used "Search" - so there's that :flowerforyou:
  • jacjac257
    jacjac257 Posts: 1
    Options
    I now can and it is awesome. While I have to drive 25 minutes across 3 mile bridge, it is worth every bit of it I do not go daily. If I lived on the beach, it would be daily. Now, if I had a jet ski, I would be there in 10 minutes.
  • KDugan_18
    KDugan_18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wish they'd add this!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The only thing walking on the beach does for me is cause a lot of pain. At least bare foot anyway. My feet, specifically my big toe joints, can't take it. Hurts after a half mile or less.
    Personally, under counting cals burned is preferable to over counting.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, I have been walking the beach a lot and log it