Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bodybuilders: How to set best macros / total calories

Love to hear thoughts of people seeking 8-10% body fat with higher end muscle - not huge just really extra fit. How do you set your macros & total calories and then how do you adjust it based on what specifically & how often. Thank you

Replies

• capgordon76
    capgordon76 Posts: 99 Member
    I struggle on this badly
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Most of the bodybuilders are going to be over in the "Goal: Gaining Weight and Bodybuilding" part of the MFP Community. There, in the Most Helpful Posts section, you'll find some nutritional and strategy info. Asking there might give you more focused answers.

I'm not a bodybuilder, and I'd never aim for 8-10% body fat. (Note: I'm female. 10% body fat would be mega unhealthy for me.) I am active, and care about nutrition.

Your key decision is about your current priority: Do you need to lose a fair bit of fat, or are you in a healthy range? Do you want to do cycles of bulking and cutting, the route for most probable maximum muscle mass gain in X time period, or "maingain" at close to one bodyweight and more slowly add muscle (a.k.a. "body recomposition")?

Loosely, those things will suggest whether you should focus first on a calorie deficit for fat loss (which will limit muscle mass gain), balance the fat loss/muscle gain goals around current weight, or go with a calorie surplus to start bulking and get a bit faster muscle gain. Where you are now weight-wise has some influence on what the better decision might be, in addition to pure preference.

I'd suggest getting a protein goal here:

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

. . . which will give you a protein goal in the ballpark of common rules of thumb some people will come along and suggest. That site is generally regarded as science-based and neutral. (For one, they don't sell protein supplements ;) !)

Fats, personally I go with a minimum of 0.35-0.45g per pound of bodyweight daily (maybe use goal bodyweight if substantially overweight), though men might get by with less, like 0.3g. Many people get enough fats without paying much attention.

Carbs are individual IMO, as long as you don't have a relevant health condition (such as diabetes or insulin resistance). Many bodybuilders like getting some carbs to fuel workout energy, but others don't think that's so essential. I'm not going to get into that dispute from a bodybuilder standpoint, but (as a recreational short-endurance athlete) I think carbs are my friend, and get most of them from plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits; some whole grains; dairy foods; and the occasional treat within calorie goal. YMMV, and opinions about carbs differ wildly. I'll let low-carb, keto or carnivore folks speak for themselves. :)

As far as adjusting calories, that depends on whether you're trying to lose weight, bulk, or stay near steady weight. Start with MFP's estimate, a calorie calculator estimate, or a fitness tracker estimate. Stick close to that for 4-6 weeks, and compare your weight change intention to your weight change results. If it's not as expected, adjust calories using the assumption that 500 calories per day is a pound a week, or 1100 calories per day is a kilogram a week. (Obviously, use arithmetic for partial pounds.) Adjust the calorie goal periodically based on your weight trend - can't say how often, because that depends on the magnitude of the trend, y'know?

Like I said, not a bodybuilder. I have a little awareness of sports nutrition, mostly from coaching education in my sport, but I'm not a registered dietitian or trainer. I just care about nutrition for my own purposes. The above are my preferences, and they're not AFAIK wildly outside mainstream thinking.

Best wishes!