Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Please can you explain?

Sunny24380
Sunny24380 Posts: 3 Member
z4xv6mbyi9zf.png

Hello. I’ve just joined and I put in 800 as my kcal target (I’ve done the Fast 800 in the past and it’s worked for me) but I don’t understand why the app has decided something different for me - please can someone explain what’s going on and how to interpret this?
Thank you

Best Answer

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Answer ✓
    Sunny24380 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »
    MFP will never go below 1200 calories for women, to ensure adequate nutrition.
    z4xv6mbyi9zf.png

I’ve done the Fast 800 in the past and it’s worked for me

I would hasard the suggestion that you reassess what 'works' means: if you did it before, I'm presuming you lost and then regained weight? How are you planning on keeping the weight off this time?
    Going for a super low calorie goal might give you short term results, but you are basically starving yourself and not really learning how to eat for durable weight loss and subsequent weight maintenance.

Not trying to be mean! I'm just wishing for you to succeed at weight loss in a durable way!

I did 800 a few years ago as it is an effective way to put type 2 diabetes into remission (and it worked for me) There’s an article here if you’re interested https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission/low-calorie-diets-for-remission I do agree it’s hard though and not sustainable long term!

You must have skipped a final "OK" on your Goal setting. I can set mine to 800 calories and it doesn't change it.

[On the web version/browser] After you set it, it asks for you to "OK" the changes. Make sure you don't skip that button.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my-goals

Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,453 Member
    Agreed.
    800 calories may be ok for a day or two, not long term. Mfp uses the arbitrary 1200 as a minimum. I can't live on that either, but maybe a shorter, smaller woman could.
    Mfp thinks it's healthier to lose 1/2 to 2 pounds a week and will help you set that up.
  • Sunny24380
    Sunny24380 Posts: 3 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    MFP will never go below 1200 calories for women, to ensure adequate nutrition.
    z4xv6mbyi9zf.png

I’ve done the Fast 800 in the past and it’s worked for me

I would hasard the suggestion that you reassess what 'works' means: if you did it before, I'm presuming you lost and then regained weight? How are you planning on keeping the weight off this time?
    Going for a super low calorie goal might give you short term results, but you are basically starving yourself and not really learning how to eat for durable weight loss and subsequent weight maintenance.

Not trying to be mean! I'm just wishing for you to succeed at weight loss in a durable way!

I did 800 a few years ago as it is an effective way to put type 2 diabetes into remission (and it worked for me) There’s an article here if you’re interested https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission/low-calorie-diets-for-remission I do agree it’s hard though and not sustainable long term!