How do you do it?

Options
I burned about 666 calories today and I was suppose to consume around 1800 it calculated for me. I ate about 1350 and I am STUFFED!! This also happen the other few times I've worked out and burned that much, I just can't eat all the calories. I feel FULL all day long and I hardly get a "hungry" feeling. I am 135 lbs. The first two weeks I lost 2-3 lbs and I thought I was 134 last week but this week I am 135. I have started to work out a bit harder and longer and it seems now I just can't eat all the calories :noway: I only drink water about 6-8 glasses a day, I add some lemon in a few of the glasses. I eat veggies and fruits, I don't eat any junk really. How do you guys eat ALL the darn calories.

Replies

• paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    I burned about 666 calories today and I was suppose to consume around 1800 it calculated for me. I ate about 1350 and I am STUFFED!! This also happen the other few times I've worked out and burned that much, I just can't eat all the calories. I feel FULL all day long and I hardly get a "hungry" feeling. I am 135 lbs. The first two weeks I lost 2-3 lbs and I thought I was 134 last week but this week I am 135. I have started to work out a bit harder and longer and it seems now I just can't eat all the calories :noway: I only drink water about 6-8 glasses a day, I add some lemon in a few of the glasses. I eat veggies and fruits, I don't eat any junk really. How do you guys eat ALL the darn calories.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1800 cals isn't that much. That is how much I would have to eat if I wanted to maintain the weight I'm at now, without exercise (146lbs) so ya... pretty standard. I also don't usually burn over 600 cals in a day... Today I burned about 450... had no problem eating them all. Try spacing the extra cals out more- eat a larger breakfast maybe. Or try higher calorie foods- like milk, cheese, nuts, meats, whole grains, bananas, potatos, avacados, etc. :drinker:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Try adding just 100 calories more to each meal. That's as simple as adding a bit of peanut butter, or a slice of cheese, or a chunk of avacado, or a couple extra ounces of meat, etc. Nibble on an ounce of nuts between meals or drink a glass of milk with a meal... Choosing calorie dense foods will make it easier to squeeze in if you're feeling full... whereas a pound of lettuce would be impossible for you.

With as few calories as you're consuming and as many as you're burning, and considering you don't have a lot to lose, I think you'll find your progress will go faster if you eat more. Just start padding your meals with little additions...
  • paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I eat bananas everyday and I get at least a glass of milk in too. I try to eat meat every day too. I just start to feel full and if I continue eating I feel like I am going to make myself sick and then I feel terribly full. I dunno it's strange, I just start to feel like I am forcing myself to eat. I had a cup of cantaloupe for breakfest along with a cup of milk and a cup of all bran with one cut up banana. I couldn't finish all the cereal I was starting to feel way to full, I had a bit left but the calories I added up for that was 375.
  • treeves0721
    Options
    i feel the EXACT same way and actually asked kerrilucko about it!!..i also have been doing some research tonight on it..this is a post i found today...hope it helpss!

Starvation mode is largely a myth, particularly for the morbidly obese. Sorry, Tom Venuto.

In the famous Minnesota study that started the whole theory, the people in the study were not morbidly obese. They did experience a slow down in metabolism once they had been on a starvation diet for a while (longer than a few days), but they continued to lose fat during that time. They didn't stop losing fat until their body fat got down to 5%, in fact.

Also, when they repeated the starvation studies on obese people, they found that -- compared to the non-obese -- they preferencially lost fat over muscle. The body put that fat on so it had energy stores during time of "famine" and so it used them when starvation came.

Here are some articles about it:

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

Btw, a starvation diet is cutting back your calories to 50% or less of what your body needs. If you have a RMR of 1200 and are lightly active (as most people who exercise some, but have a desk job are), a starvation diet is eating below 800 calories on average. It's not just not eating your exercise calories.

QUOTE:
    I think they gain back just like the majority of the world..lack of will power and dedication and not stepping outside of their comfort zone once the "show" is over..

They gain back their weight because diet & exercise alone doesn't work for the morbidly obese. They are no different than all the other people who lose massive quantities of weight and can't keep it off because of ghrelin, body set point and other physiological factors.

I know that goes against the entire premise of the show and what people on diets want to believe, but that's what science and clinical data shows... your chances of losing 50 lb. or more and keeping it off for 5 years or more are around 2%, probably lower.
  • treeves0721
    Options
    also, the last site mentioned has alot of scientific studies to back their information..it was a much needed relief to read this!
  • sparrowlittle
    Options
    Probably not the best advice... but SUGAR - high in calories low in fat. Get your extra calories from glucose drinks or gummy bears!

The foods you mention all appear to be very filling, full of fibre and heavy, maybe look into higher calorie foods that are less sensible but not packed with fat?

Maybe you could eat smaller meals but more often? Or sauces like ketchup and mayo??

The problem isn't necessarily what we eat but how much of it we eat without exercising. because you exercise so much you can probably afford to eat more of the non filling empty calories that had to be avoided before?

Like I said though this is just my two pennies worth of brainstorming and not backed up with any formal nutrition training.

xxx