Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is using full fat dairy a detriment to weight loss?

I have been seeing many articles regarding full fat versus low/no fat dairy. There is a significant calorie difference but the claims are that there are increased vitamin and minerals available as well as the full fat leading to a 'fuller' feeling. I have been using 0% fat Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, and 1% milk for years and wonder if I should make the switch back to full fat. I do not drink milk but use it in cooking only. I don't like the taste of milk. I generally eat yogurt with fruit for breakfast and often have the cottage cheese for lunch; both with added fruit.

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    Satiation is highly individual: full-fat doesn't make me feel fuller than low-no fat. Try is yourself to find out?

I'm pretty sure I get adequate nutrients eating low/ no fat considering the amount of whole foods I eat. According to blood tests, I don't have any deficiencies (except vitamin D for which I take a supplement. I doubt full fat dairy would fix that).

I prefer low/no fat because it fits my calorie goal better. My personal preference 🤷‍♀️
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,086 Member
    The only detriment to fatloss is too many weekly calories.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    Not worth the calories imo.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 299 Member
    Full fat dairy is the same as saying high calorie dairy, so you need to limit your portion sizes to keep the calories down.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I personally don't think there's anything wrong with whole fat dairy, but like you, I've used low fat or fat free since my dad had a heart attack when I was 15. My appetite prefers fat much more than the other macros. I decided a long time ago that if I need to keep my fat low, and I already do low fat dairy, it only makes sense to continue low fat--mostly. Still enjoy butter and whipped cream occasionally.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    edited September 3
    They were in response to the dietary guidelines in 1980 to consume less fat from animal products because they, the USDA, came to the conclusion that animal products and their fat were designed to give everyone heart disease, a new and novel discovery which they still believe and still want people to consume less dairy, so be warned, you could get heart disease according to the gov't and other agencies. Personally I never believed that and have always consumed full fat yogurt and cheese, not much of a milk fan but I do have some in the fridge for guests and it's organic full fat. There are other arguments regarding the health benefits of one over the other and of course the processing differences, which some people will weigh and make decisions based on those reasons as well. Also low fat products perpetuate the idea that calories are what cause weight gain and people are pretty well invested in that belief, so it will be very tough to let go of.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I agree with lietchi that satiety is individual. If you're happy with your eating, and it's achieving your goals, why mess with a good thing because the blogosphere touts some generic theory?

Also, the blogsphere tends to be a trend-obsessed idiot, IMO and IME. :D

I prefer to use a large proportion of reduced fat or nonfat dairy . . . and I eat a lot of dairy, as a dairy-loving ovo-lacto vegetarian. Many people get enough fats without paying close attention; for me that's the macro where I'm most likely to come up short of my own nutritional goals. However, I'd still rather fix that with some nuts, seeds, peanut butter, avocado, or the occasional small serving of swoony-rich extra-full-fat cheese, rather than routinely using full-fat milk or yogurt. (I eat milk and yogurt daily. Plenty of 'em.)

For me as an individual, fats aren't particularly filling. Protein and volume (like veggies) are filling. Also, I don't like the mouthfeel of full-fat milk. But that's just me.

I'm curious about one thing: When you say "the claims are that there are increased vitamin and minerals available", how do you interpret that?

I understand that we need to consume some fats to metabolize certain micronutrients. It doesn't really matter what the fat source is, as far as I know, though timing may matter a bit.

But if the articles are claiming that full-fat milk or yogurt actually contain more micronutrients cup for cup than lowfat or nonfat, I don't believe that to be true. I'd actually expect it to be the opposite, since the space that fat takes up in a cup of full-fat whatever needs to be filled up with more of the other not-fat ingredients in the thing itself, to make an equivalent volume. (A quick look at relevant entries in the USDA Food Central Database generally confirms that theory, BTW. Milk, 3.25%, with added vitamin D:https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/746782/nutrients; Skim milk with added vitamin A & D:https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/746776/nutrients. Note that the whole milk listed has only vitamin D added, while the skim has both vitamin A and D added, so they aren't comparable for those entries. Skim is slightly higher in most of the micros.)

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    edited September 3
    Vit A is removed in skim milk and needs to be added back in and it's also generally a synthetic product that have different properties, not as bioavailable because it's a palmitate and not an actual retinol and the natural fats found in foods in general have other synergistic properties from other related organisms. Justifying breaking up natural ingredients into their individual constituents and then demonizing some over the other is not something I'm a fan of, but is the cornerstone of western values regarding food, it save calories and of course, calories are king when it comes to the ideology of western medicine regarding weight management.
  • poodle_whisper
    poodle_whisper Posts: 8 Member
    the lower the fat the higher the sugar
    the higher the sugar, the lower the fat
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,724 Member

While this can be true in ultra processed products, it's not generally true for dairy products such as milk or cheese. Because they don't have sugar added (even the low fat ones), they have the same amount of sugar. That being said, the good thing about the fat is that it slows the absorption of the sugar into your system.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 157 Member
    Since you say you use milk for cooking I would use full fat in recipes. Low fat just doesn't reduce the same and skim milk is a hard no for cooking. Many recipes will state that whole milk (or cream if in recipe) should be used for it to turn out best. I do use whole milk (or real cream), full fat cheese etc for cooking. Since my DH has trouble keeping weight on we always have it in the house. I drink low fat milk and eat low fat yogurt and cottage cheese. No fat stuff is just gross to me. Have been maintaining just fine and lost my weight with no probblem doing this.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    edited September 4
    For me, I dont worry about the fat- only the calories
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    edited September 4

Sure, if the fat level is the only difference in ingredients, a cup of full fat yogurt has less lactose than a cup of lowfat/nonfat yogurt. So what? Lactose isn't poison (except to those allergic/sensitive).

If you're implying that lowfat/nonfat dairy necessarily has more added sugar . . . no.
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

While this can be true in ultra processed products, it's not generally true for dairy products such as milk or cheese. Because they don't have sugar added (even the low fat ones), they have the same amount of sugar. That being said, the good thing about the fat is that it slows the absorption of the sugar into your system.

To the bolded, actually, no. In a given volume of milk, nonfat milk generally has slightly more lactose (by weight or volume) than full-fat milk. But yes, it's not added sugar. Loosely, the cow put it there.

Unless processors added something inert to nonfat milk (such as water) to replace the volume of the fat that was removed, there has to be more of something(s) in nonfat milk than in whole milk. Not every nutrition item differs because in some cases the difference isn't a big enough increment, and in other cases because some/most milk - including this milk specifically - is supplemented. (There might even be some cases where it's because US labeling laws are weird.)

Take a look at labels from the same dairy:
    umqwhldb9828.jpg
    zoukhg4a24vr.jpg

But like I said, so what? That difference in lactose content is silly-trivial, and lactose isn't dangerous in these quantities (to those who aren't allergic or sensitive), or even "a detriment to weight loss".

It's true that the glycemic index differs between skim and whole milk, but only by only a small number of points. Is that a difference that matters to someone who needs to manage blood sugar closely, such as someone insulin resistant or diabetic? Maybe. To someone without blood sugar management challenges? Unlikely, IMO, particularly in context of a complex meal.

The details (differences) may vary across product categories (milk, yogurt, cheese) and even by brand, but generally X amount of nonfat dairy will have more of certain things than X amount of a full-fat version of the same thing, because something replaces the weight/volume the fat would've occupied.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,735 Member
    I use low-fat. I actually don't like whole milk, and 2% Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese and ultra-filtered milk are all satisfying to me. I am not a big fan of fat-free dairy... mostly textural issues, plus even if you can find fat-free cheese, it doesn't melt.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
    edited September 4
    It's about making room for the calories you want. I cut calories where I can, but I balance it with taste. I don't want to waste any calories on a lower fat alternative that tastes yuck.

So I use 2% milk, low fat yogurt, reduced fat feta, and choose cheeses that have more flavour for a smaller serve (aged tasty, parmesan etc) but I won't compromise on flavour on full fat cottage cheese, full fat cheese etc. I'd rather not have them than go the gross fat reduced ones.

Dairy fat/calories won't affect your losses any more than other fat/calories. Make it fit your plan and have what works for you and keeps you consistent.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,729 Member
    Choose what fits your calories and still tastes good to you. I can drink lower fat milk, but my husband won't drink anything less than 2% so that's what I'm used to. I won't eat low fat cheese, but I'm okay with non-fat yogurt. I don't much like it but I'll eat it occasionally. I would prefer cream in my coffee, but given the calories and how much coffee I drink, I stick with milk.