Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

So I just did something bananas...

Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
As of today, 2 September 2024, I am 116kg, unfit, can't jog around the block. Have just started walking regularly again (I do have walking stamina), but hills are still a challenge.

I just bought tickets to do a 25km trail run in outback Australia in May 2025.

That's 39 weeks to go from a couch potato to someone who won't need to be stretchered to the nearest civilisation.

I'm back on the elliptical to build up cardio, and I'm going to re-start C25K in the coming weeks. The weather is starting to warm up, so I'll be able to use the pool.

There's not many things as motivating as the potential of embarrassing one's self in front of friends and strangers, so I'm thinking I'm going to post in here to keep myself on the fitness track.

Advice, encouragement and whip cracking welcome!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    That's a kind of pressure/ motivation I would never put myself under, lol. But all the more power to you if it pushes you forwards 🙂

I'm in the 'actually embarrassed myself' camp (did not finish). If, when the trail run approaches comes, you don't think you're fit enough despite your efforts, be kind to yourself and give yourself the possibility of not participating. I stopped running for years after my public humiliation, don't be me 😋 I only 'erased' that memory with a successful one a few years ago, when I knew for sure I wouldn't embarrass myself (and even then, I didn't tell anyone I was participating 😆 ).

Hopefully it won't come to that for you, wishing you lots of success 🙂
  • Alatariel75
    Lietchi wrote: »
    That's a kind of pressure/ motivation I would never put myself under, lol. But all the more power to you if it pushes you forwards 🙂

I'm in the 'actually embarrassed myself' camp (did not finish). If, when the trail run approaches comes, you don't think you're fit enough despite your efforts, be kind to yourself and give yourself the possibility of not participating. I stopped running for years after my public humiliation, don't be me 😋 I only 'erased' that memory with a successful one a few years ago, when I knew for sure I wouldn't embarrass myself (and even then, I didn't tell anyone I was participating 😆 ).

Hopefully it won't come to that for you, wishing you lots of success 🙂

I admit, I do think I'm crazy! But I'm taking comfort in the fact that it's suitable for a brisk walk as an option, and I know with a bit of conditioning that's the bare minimum I can do!

I'm pretty bloody minded when it comes to not saying die haha.

Finishing is the goal, even if I'm the last on the track! And if I don't, I can say I tried.

Congratulations on your successful one!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,283 Member
    I think you can definitely do it!

Welcome back :flowerforyou:
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited September 2
    39 weeks will be a wonderful time of self challenge and discipline! Inspiring!! You can do it!! 💪

Ps - I do my best under a deadline. Maybe you do too? Diet, exercise… it will be a great journey to health and a wonderful success story.
  • Alatariel75
    If you are a strong walker, then finishing a HM should be possible, especially with 9 months to train. Just be careful not to push yourself too hard, too soon. (You don't want to get injured.) When you start running, keep your pace slow and easy. Do some of your runs on terrain that is similar to that of the race. Don't be afraid to walk when you need to.

Thank you! I plan to be pretty cautious - I've never even finised Couch 25k before haha. Luckily I like near some really lovely bush walks and tracks, as well as on the coast, so I have good terrain to train with.
    39 weeks will be a wonderful time of self challenge and discipline! Inspiring!! You can do it!! 💪

Ps - I do my best under a deadline. Maybe you do too? Diet, exercise… it will be a great journey to health and a wonderful success story.

I'm absolutely a deadline person! I also do my best, exercise-wise when I have a goal and it's not just doing it for its own sake (my stupid brain doesn't see my ongoing physical health as a 'goal', apparently). Plus I'm going with 3 girlfriends, all well fitter than me, who are an amazing cheer and support squad.
  • Alatariel75
    So I'm participating in Steptember with work, meaning I need to log 10k steps a day. This used to be easy when I worked from the office, but now I work from home so it has to be a lot more deliberate (this is responsible for a LOT of my loss of fitness, I felt admit).

Yesterday I hit 15k, but over the course of a very wandery day, it wasn't the deliberate motivated walk I need to get back to. I also didn't do my elliptical workout because I was out all afternoon and not home until late.

One of the friends I'm doing to trail with and I are going to start one a week brisk walks on terrain, starting tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that and today's walk will be at lunch along the beach- I'll stick to the soft sand for extra resistance.
  • Alatariel75
    First training walk done! 5.4km in 70 minutes, lots of stairs and gradients, it's a terrific training trail. I was puffed a few times, but only had to stop for less than a minute a couple of times, and am feeling good for it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,283 Member
    edited September 5
    Good job! Get back out there today. :smile:

*edit to say, maybe it is today's workout. You know what I mean!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,886 Member
    Whatever you do.............make sure you have good shoes! Good luck!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    Go for it! Be careful though and not increase your running distance (once you run) to by too much per week. Your body needs to get used to this.
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 29 Member
    Like most fruits, bananas are a great food to eat after a workout. Doing so can reduce inflammation and replenish muscle glycogen stores, ultimately promoting faster recovery. In addition to aiding recovery, eating this fruit before or during a workout can also be beneficial.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 701 Member
    Excellent, I'm all for an unlikely and over-ambitious target, and have completed 2 ultra marathons off the back of it :D .
    My goals for the events were very simple: don't quit, don't fall over, don't end up in the van. It was enough to finish under my own steam.

My top tips, spend more than you think is reasonable on good trainers and socks. Kit makes a difference.
    Think carefully about fuelling, a bowl of porridge with some fruit and nut butter will sustain me for many wet, muddy, uphill miles. Find what works for you.

I'm excited for you, it can be the start of lots of adventures :)
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 398 Member
    That's a lot for a short amount of time. It could be done if you had a running trainer. I began my first weight loss journey at 185 lb. and also starred with walking. Then I varied it with walking flat and mixed hills. Then doing jog-walk workouts until I was eventually running. In the first 12 months I lost 45 lb. and could run a 5K, but not 25K

Running with added weight is not the same as running when you are lighter. Running places a lot of stress on your joints and more stress with the heavier you weigh. Check with a locally owned athletic shoes store that specializes in running shoes as they often have running clubs that you could join or trainers. That will help you to have supporters to help you reach your goal in the time frame you wish to reach it.