food for comfort

Just an insight, I read some phycological advice to help people calm down get them to eat. I think my mother did this when i was a child and teen. I learned to go to food to feel calm. I still do this. Emotional eating when ever I am angry or nervous, feeling anxious.
My primary Care Doctor calls this self medicating. I am looking for ways to not self medicate, but feel and process those emotions in a healthier way.

Replies

• MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 133 Member
    Hi @hmjack1561 I totally relate to this. Growing up, my family ate to celebrate ; we ate when we were sad; we ate when we were bored. Ot tired or angry. All of the above. And we ate way behind feeling full, to where we were absolutely stuffed. I find myself still lapsing into this pattern when stress is high, but learning to tell myself that overeating does not make me feel better, but actually worse. Some”cognitive behavioral therapy” techniques, where actively changing how you think about something can change how you feel, and change those behaviors. If you can see a therapist through work (medical insurance? Or Some employers have Employee assistance programs that can help get you started). Or there are some online now too. Ask your Dr for a referral. Praying for you and the many others among us suffering with this.
  • hmjack1561
    hmjack1561 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you for your kind support Movinnow !
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 23 Member
    Comfort food is a type of food that evokes nostalgia or sentimentality, characterized by being high in calories and reminiscent of childhood or home cooking. Nostalgia can be personal or culturally specific.
  • edamamewebber
    edamamewebber Posts: 24 Member
    Emotional eating: I do this!!! I had always gone to chips and salsa for my comfort food. I've switched to carrots/celery and salsa or shredded cabbage with homemade lemon tahini dressing. If I'd overeaten celery/carrots/cabbage, I don't think I'd be in the condition I am now.