Weight-loss for beginners

Are you trying to lose weight but nothing works?! Do you know how many calories you eat a day? Not how many you are “suppose to eat “ , How many do you CURRENTLY eat daily?

Most of us don’t. That is why when we try to cut out calories to only 1200 a day we fail dramatically because we’re yea to eating 2000+ and such a drastic cut in calories overnight causes binging.
This week I challenge you to establish a baseline. Track what you eat, log it, don’t worry about macros or calorie totals.

You in?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    .... and here I was expecting a link to promote your weight loss plan or something. But instead I find helpful advice that many could use. I like weeding out the spammers, but you fooled me.

Apologies for thinking something sinister was at play.

And for those that don't know their real baseline... listen to this woman and find out.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited September 3
    In my opinion your asking the wrong question. It's not, are you counting your calories and consuming the right amount of calories so you don't gain weight, it's why are your eating so many calories which then, results in weight gain.

If a teacher had a class of 100 students and 1 or 2 failed miserably we could say that the problem probably lies with that student, but if 70 students failed miserably then we could probably conclude it's a teaching problem. 70% of Americans are overweight and obese.

People can choose to eat fewer calories but that's failed almost to a fault for decades now and in my opinion we need to ask ourself that question; why are we eating so many calories? I believe it's because we're hungry and unfortunately we can't choose to be less hungry, it doesn't work that way. Food and consuming too much food is the problem and understanding the simple fact that we can consume 2 different foods with equal calories which then drives our hormonal responses, which will be completely different. For example 2 slices of white bread and jam compared to eggs and yellow beans with equal calories, we will experience a totally different hormonal response and it's hormones that drives our eating behavior. GLP-1's are a good example. Basically overeating is hormonal driven. This is not a popular answer, but it's one that I believe is responsible. Again my opinion. :)

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 857 Member
    edited September 5
    I’m more satiated by carbs than protein or fat. There is no one size fits all or diet for everyone. When I was overweight, by consuming too many calories, my behavior and binging created health problems. When I lost weight using a balanced diet and a calorie deficit, my health and behaviors leveled out. Preaching a diet, that looks and feels like a diet, that doesn’t align with our culture or habits, and without knowing someone’s hormone levels, is irresponsible at best, and can/does cause disordered eating and eating disorders.

OP, I like your message it’s really a great first step many of us forget to mention. Understanding our habits first will really help us prepare for the next steps.
  • EricONeill4928
    EricONeill4928 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m just starting out. I would love any ideas for losing weight that have helped you all.
  • @EricONeill4928 What has helped me on my 100lb weight loss journey is, of course, tracking in MFP 100% of the time, even if I went over my macros AND finding recipes I love and meal prepping them. It's so much easier to stick to your macros when you have already prepped food waiting for you when you're hungry.