Zumba Tracking?

Options
So, curious-how do those of you who participate in Zumba calculate the calories? I take an hour class 2-3/ week, and its the hardest most challenging workout I have ever done. I am guessing at my size, I burin upwards of 1000 calories...but, I see no "Zumba" workout listed ( which is a bit dissapointing)-are you all just listing it as aerobic dance?

THANKS! :)

Replies

• prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Zumba is high impact but alot of people use heart rate moniters
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would say buy a heart rate monitor so you can accurately log your calories, but if you don't want to do that..............maybe borrow one from a friend and see what you burn???
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a bodybugg to class and I would burn anywhere between 350-700 calories depending on the routine we did. Your best bet is to wear a bodybugg or HRM since everyone burns differently. If you don't want to/can't buy one of those 2, I would suggest using the aerobic dance option.
  • Debbie411
    Options
    use HIGH IMPACT Aerobics.. :) that is the next best thing to track this by.. it may come back a little on the low side for calorie burn but it is the best.. :)

Keep up the good work .. :) it is a GREAT day.. :)
  • MyChance2011
    MyChance2011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Go to zumbacalories.com There's a calculator on the website to help tell you how many you are burning.
  • aiw4ever
    aiw4ever Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    when i type in zumba it comes up. and there is a website "www.zumbacalories.com" u put it ur weight n how long u did it and it will tell u what u burned off. . i always take off 50 or 100 cal's if i didnt really work as hard as i could have.
  • lanicota
    Options
    I track it 50 mins = 500 calories burned.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I use a BodyBugg, so it's exact. I burned 506 calories in a hour yesterday.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The zumbacalories.com calculator is rad ( thats right- I said rad!) :)
  • Amyding115
    Options
    Zumbacalories.com is the site I used before i got my HRM.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor. The classes I attend are given by the same instructor and I generally average 480 - 500 for 60 minutes. That being said, I've burned as little as 360 and as much as 700. It depends on the routines, the instructor's energy and, most importantly, my energy.
  • millicentw
    millicentw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Howdy MFP friends :)
    I used the HRM last night at my Zumba class, 1 hour workout I burned 767 calories.
    Cheers
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great question! I do Zumba 3-4x/week and I love it! It's the best workout for me so far. I'm fairly new to MFP and came up empty handed when I tried searching for Zumba workouts. I was using aerobic dance until I created *Zumba* in my exercise list. It's the best workout for me so far. The way I calculate calories burned is by using the number of calories I burn on the elliptical in 30 minutes and double it. So, for me, it's around 800. I figure you use your whole body in Zumba and are constantly moving, so doubling my elliptical numbers is the most accurate. If anyone else replies with a better way I'm all for it! Thanks for posting this question!
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I added Zumba to my database and usually log 500 min for an hour. I used a HRM once and got a baseline of 750. Most of my workouts are around the same intensity to I'm fairly confident that 500 is a safe , yet overly conservative number. 500 gives me wiggle room if I need to use my exercise calories but is small enough that I needed worry about going over.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I also use Aerobics high intensity. My bodybugg usually says between 450-600 for an hour class, about 10 calories a minute is usually my average and I weigh around 160. And I usually really push myself.