Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pregnant & I don't want to put on all the weight I have lost..

Hi there everyone!

I am currently 22 weeks pregnant (5 months) and before I fell pregnant I was on a weightloss journey, I lost 22kgs over 3 years and I've put on about 5kgs so far..

I have never been skinny and have always battled with my weight and self image, so you can image that I have been very hard on myself and I feel so bad about myself now that I have been gaining weight.. it is really taking a toll on my mental health.

Are there any pregnant mamas on here that have an eating plan or know how to not gain weight during pregnancy? And how to keep you and baby healthy and happy?

Replies

• sruthicsree
    sruthicsree Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,

I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant and I'm starting to look very pregnant. I have gained 6 kgs so far and my tummy looks very huge by the end of the day with all the water I have been drinking and food. I'm starting to track my calories just to be mindful of what I eat. I have not had cravings or appetite until now but I have forced myself to eat a lot which I believe has contributed to the weight gain.

From what I understand, you need to only eat additional 300 cal during your second trimester and 450 cal extra during your third. I couldn't follow this religiously due to all the throwing up and bitterness in my mouth up until recently. If you aren't underweight you neednt consume more than the extra calories above unless you are underweight in which case you need to costume 500-600 additional calories. I try to walk at least 1-2 miles a day to keep up my exercise routine.

But always check with your Obgyn before making life style changes and calorie intake. Hope this helps
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited September 11
    I'd focus on eating as healthy as possible for the baby, and that will naturally keep your weight from jumping up too far. The real test is after the baby is born be careful not to just eat whatever when your too busy and sleep deprived to worry about it! And then in a few years you'll be chasing him/her around everywhere,losing weight.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10913313/pregnant-and-anxious/p1
  • marisaminaca2509
    marisaminaca2509 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m currently 25 weeks and before pregnancy lost about 35 pounds in a couple of months, I’d been active for a while but once I started intermittent fasting it made it a lot easier to drop the weight. Then with all the nausea and everything ended up losing even more weight in the first trimester! But obviously this wasn’t good for the baby or myself so I decided to just stop tracking the calories and fasting all together. I’ve now gained about 10-15 pounds by volume eating my veggies, and every now and then just giving into my cravings now that the thought of food in general dosent make me want to vom haha
    I understand it’s hard to accept that you’re going to gain weight after all the hard work you put into losing it, but remember you are growing a new life in there, new organs, a brain, bones a whole baby human! I’m a first time mother but I’m pretty sure we’re all going to remember this time of our lives, and we should remember it as a comfortable and stress free season of life, not the weight gain!
    So don’t worry about a few extra pounds, focus on getting all the nutrients you and the baby need, and if you’re planning on breast feeding, from what I hear it burns a lottt of cals and can make you feel exhausted, and if you’re not properly nourishing yourself it’s a lot harder as well. Sending support! 👩🏻‍🍼
  • lynnrobf
    lynnrobf Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there, congrats on your wt loss. Totally understand your concern. It is possible for you to keep fat gain under control by simply eating healthy foods. Avoid processed foods and eat around 1400-2000 cals extra a week. Enjoy your pregnancy.
  • Jenni4w
    Jenni4w Posts: 40 Member
    There are so many environmental risks for babies nowadays. I’d say have the attitude that you are providing the best nutrition to the person growing inside you that will affect them the rest of their life. You can and will recover from pregnancy. Focus on baby’s health and you both will be healthier. Do t get too stressed about it because the cortisol released by stress is not good for either of you 💕 hang in there, sunshine ☀️ you’ve got this!!