Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do I work more protein into my diet?

I’m having a hard time hitting my protein goals. I usually get about 70% of the way there just through the foods I eat, but does anyone have any ideas for how I can get more in? I know protein powder shakes are the best way but I already find it challenging to get in 64oz of water, 16 oz of green tea, and I drink a Ryze mushroom matcha latte each day. I’m not a naturally thirsty person so this much liquid is tough and adding in a protein shake or 2 seems impossible! I feel like I already carry around 2 drinks all day! Any ideas for high protein, low calorie snacks that I don’t have to drink?

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    Protein powder. Instead of drinking all that liquid with no protein powder, mix a little bit of all that liquid with powder. Problem solved.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    Protein powder shakes are the best way? I dunno.

If you're open to using supplements, there are many brands of protein bars or other protein-supplement foods (chips, even) that you could try.

Personally, I figure the best route when possible is to get nutrients from regular foods, rather than supplements.

This thread is a great resource for finding calorie-efficient protein sources you might not have thought of:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Find foods you enjoy there, and eat more of those (less of something else) to get more protein.

IMO, a good process is to review your food diary regularly, and notice things that have a fairly high calorie "cost" for the tastiness, nutrition, or satiation you get from them, but that aren't commensurately helping you reach your goals (in this case, your protein goal). Those are candidates to reduce (portion size or frequency) to free up calories for foods that make a better contribution. By repeating this process, focusing on changing routine repeated eating habits, it's fairly straightforward to gradually remodel overall diet in a positive direction so one needn't micromanage daily.

Also, I'll offer a tip that is important to me as a vegetarian, but that can also help omnivores: Think about getting small bits of protein from many different foods in your overall diet, in addition to the "one big protein per meal" idea. There are breads with more protein, protein pastas, veggies with more protein, snacks with protein, even some fruits with a bit of protein. Those small bits through the day can add up to a meaningful contribution.

Finally, make sure your protein goal is realistic: It may be fine, but some people arrive here with a protein goal from a source (such as a personal trainer or bodybuilding site) that's overkill. This site has a calculator that will give a research-based needs estimate tailored to individual goals:

https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

Note that someplace in the guide - at least last time I read it ;) - they mention that someone who's substantially overweight can use something more like goal weight in the calculator.

Best wishes!

Best wishes!

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    Protein powder is likely the cheapest way to get additional protein, both in terms of dollar cost and also total calories added.

I know technically it's called a nutritional supplement, but I don't consider it to be a supplement. It's just part of my diet, along with other protein sources, and I take whatever amount of powder I need to meet my daily grams goal (typically in five roughly equal times during the day).
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 299 Member
    You can dissolve 1 scoop of protein powder in less than 4 ounces of water. You can also eat it dry, but watch out for sneezing.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 207 Member
    edited September 14
    What kind of diet are you trying to follow? If you eat meat, try adding a chicken breast, shrimp kebabs, baked fish, etc. If you do diary, just add a glass of skim milk, or greek yogurt. If you dont like these foods as-is, try making veggie dips with them. If vegan, look for black bean or lentil recipes. Black bean burgers (grocery store, or home made). Put beans into soups or salads. I like vegan chili made with red lentils and beans. Try adding tofu to salads and vegetable dishes. Or baked marinated tofu for more flavor. Make dips or dressings/sauces that include tofu. If PB has too much fat/calories for your plan, try recipies that use nonfat PB powder (sauces, dips, soup, smoothies). Use quinoa instead of rice or potatoes. Chia pudding for breakfast or dessert. Use soy milk rather than water when making oatmeal. Use oat bran rather than oat meal. Also try sauces etc with nutritional yeast (noochi). Snack on soy nuts, wasabi peas, or freeze-dried peas. Pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds are lower fat and higher protein than most nut and can be used in moderation.
  • pdanaerobbins
    pdanaerobbins Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 14
    The easiest way for me is to combine meat or eggs with beans. I do a lot of cheese too. I'm doing 120 grams of protein a day, so I shoot for 30 grams of protein a meal and try to have my snacks add up to about 30 too. I do a lot of greek yogurt and string cheese. Another way is I'll sometimes have a protein shake with chocolate protein powder, pb fit, a banana and almond milk for breakfast. It comes out to less than 400 calories for 40 grams of protein and usually keeps me full for about 3 hours. Also if you're a sweets person, I try to get protein in at dessert too.
  • LoganBennett715
    LoganBennett715 Posts: 29 Member
    High-protein foods include lean chicken, lean pork, fish, lean beef, tofu, beans, lentils, low-fat yogurt, milk, cheese, seeds, nuts, and eggs. Having this foods will fulfill your requirements of Protein.
  • stianjl
    stianjl Posts: 15 Member
    Eat any kind of meat. Cottage cheese is also good. Proteinpowder is not the best, but cheaper in the long run.