Screw this!

Options
1235»

Replies

• jordanashley19
    Options
    need to be possitive if you wanna lose weight. don't be negative. i know what its like not to be losing the weight, its aggravating but you just gotta stay possitive. :flowerforyou:
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Trekkie, Sometimes i feel like i must eat like a rat to lose weight. i understand.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Patience.
    ^^^^ this NOONE has ever gotten BIGGER by watching portions(calories) and working out. This is not a fad diet. Fad diets you will loose weight, muscle what have you in a couple weeks. This is a learning process. Process of elimination to find what WILL work for you. Blaming not losing weight on exercising will not help you, figuring out what is NOT working will. Hang in there and KEEP MOVING!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I won't say it's muscle, but it's most likely water weight.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    what has always gotten me through weight fluctuations is this......

"Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.
    As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise do you do? I didn't start losing until I started doing bootcamp classes!! I had to cut out coke zero totally & only drink water. I know it's frustrating. I started wking out in march but didn't start losing wt til July when I started tracking my food better!!!!! Good lucj
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It's likely fluid retention. When you're new to working out, your body kind of goes "WTF??" and holds onto water to help the muscles repair from the new activity.

Exercise and eating healthy has never made anybody get fatter. If you've only been at it two weeks, your body is likely still holding onto excess water due to previous lack of intake. Between that and normal fluctuations in weight day to day, your body is still in its adjustment period.
  • LouLouUK
    LouLouUK Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try not to feel deflated! I know it's hard, we have all been there. Try try try not to use the scales for a little while longer and go by clothing fit. There has been some good advice given.

Keep going!! :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

"Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.
    As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

That sounds....

...wonderful, tbh! Makes perfect sense, and explained in a very clear way! Thumbs up for a wonderful post!
  • mindyahart
    Options
    You are only just beginning! Use the tools provided and being honest with YOURSELF with what you are eating is the only way to get the scale to tilt to where you want. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water!! Excercise is great but the majority of the weightloss battle comes from what food you are putting in it! Good luck! Don't get discouraged even if you have a rough day because tomorrow is always a chance to start fresh!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Very informative. Learning...
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry trekkie. I know how unbelievably demotivating and frustrating that is. A couple of things... First, measure and weigh everything that goes in your mouth (unless it's packaged in a single serve size). Second, get lots of fluids. Third, find the article on this site that talks about weight gain in the first couple of weeks. It talks about muscle tearing, which causes inflammation in the tissues and keeps fluid in the body. This should start to go away after the first few weeks and you'll start to see a loss. Finally, have you been to the doctor? Could it be a thyroid issue? I hope you find the strength to stay on the wagon and keep going. I know how frustrating it is (I did P90X, counted calories and ran 6 days/week for 13 weeks before my wedding and saw virtually NO change!) but ya just gotta keep on fighting! We're all in it with you and pulling for you. *hugs*
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I know from my own experience that when adding exercise, everything becomes more complicated. But dieting alone (by which I mean simply counting calories and protein intake) I was much more successful. Do you want to try just for a couple of weeks by just watching the calories, nothing else? I like this way; it keeps everything simple.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I know from my own experience that when adding exercise, everything becomes more complicated. But dieting alone (by which I mean simply counting calories and protein intake) I was much more successful. Do you want to try just for a couple of weeks by just watching the calories, nothing else? I like this way; it keeps everything simple.
    that's what I did for my first month. It gives you encouragement to see the scale go down.
  • kathyaslade
    kathyaslade Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Did you get your thyroid checked? there are medical reasons why people gain weight, when they are doing things right. I have thyroid issues and struggle to lose weight, most people do not understand it.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Did you get your thyroid checked? there are medical reasons why people gain weight, when they are doing things right. I have thyroid issues and struggle to lose weight, most people do not understand it.
    At 5'4" and 154 lbs she's 10lbs less than I am. I seriously doubt it's a thyroid problem, just a matter of lifestyle change. Trekkiebeth isn't fat at all, but perhaps just wants to get toned and healthy-understandable of course but I doubt it's anything medical. (About a year ago it seemed I couldn't lose weight to save my life-I saw a dr and he said he'd do a test but it seemed I just wasn't eating right, you know what? He was right all it took was switching to natural foods and the weight came off more easily-and then my dumbas$ started eating unhealthy again). Stick with healthy food and you'll see an improvement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I've been watching what I eat and working out regularly for 2 weeks now and I'm gaining weight faster than ever. If working out makes me gain weight, then I'm just going to stop.

And don't tell me it's muscle because you don't gain pounds of muscle after 2 weeks of cardio and a couple exercise DVDs.

If you guessed that I just got off the scale and cried for 5 minutes before posting this, you'd be right.
    I'm qualified to tell you that the normal response upon taking up exercise is that for a week or two you'll gain weight (not tons) but for some, enough to discourage them. It's totally NORMAL. Your body is compensating by storing glycogen and water in your muscles cells. Glycogen for energy for the next workouts, and water for repair.
    Patience is what it takes. Throw out your scale if you live/die by it. It will be your downfall if you can't handle the natural fluctuations.
    And here's some tough love.................what do you get by quitting? More disappointment because while you can lose weight without exercise, you'll have flabby muscles, a lower metabolic rate, and you'll stall faster.
    Get back up, brush yourself off and take it on the chin. You'll get results if you stay consistent.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    I've heard strenuous exercise causes the muscles themselves to retain water.