Lifting weights BEFORE cardio or AFTER?

Options
Hi MFP! I was wondering what any of you recommend as far as lifting weights with cardio, which is most effective or.. better? Lifting weights before? or after cardio? My cardio is mainly the elliptical (intervals).

I'm trying to tone my body more and hopefully lose a little more body fat. I definitely do not want to lose muscle and look "skinny fat" so what do you recommend?

As far as lifting weights, I started doing only 5-10 pound weights.. and then I do 20 pound weights with squats. I started doing planks and leg presses as well. Any other tips on what I can do to? I do not have a personal trainer or anything so any tips would be very helpful! Thanks MFP :)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd recommended getting the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". I think you do need to do some cardio warm up before lifting but as far as long cardio, I don't know that it matters when you do it in relation to lifting. Whatever works best. I'm often dead after lifting and wouldn't be able to push myself at cardio.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had to take a fitness class in school and they suggested a cardio warmup for about ten minutes, to get your heart rate up, before weights.
  • jamielr84
    Options
    I've always heard lift first, cardio second. That's what I do, but I am interested in seeing others responses. I could be wrong!
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, if you like intervals have you ever tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred? If you look that up on the forum you will see lots of people have had great results with that one. I love the workout because it's only 20 minutes, but it works you. Look up 30DS and check out the results :wink:
  • Boomqueesha21
    Options
    I've been working out with my friend went to school to be a physical trainer and she told me to do cardio 1st then weights.
  • Michelle7903
    Options
    Wow! You've lost alot of weight! great job...do you mind if I ask how did you do it? I'm trying to loose 25lbs in 13weeks any suggestions?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as when you are doing weights 1st you warm up for at least 10 to 15 mins so your muscles are not cold.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    BEFORE!! Lifting is the most technical exercise you can do, and the most likely to cause injury if done improperly. I agree that 5-10min of dymanic warm-up is necessary to make sure the circulation is good, but then get on with your weights. Cardio comes after!
  • phantum
    Options
    i do have a trainer and i do weights, then cardio. My trainer does mix in cardio with my weights, though. For example, I'll do 15 leg extensions, then 15 bicep curls (ar something else with arms), plank for 30 seconds, then a lap around the gym - repeat.

After my workout with my trainer, i wil go and do at least 30 minutes of cardio after. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Lift weights first!!!!!

You need your energy to lift heavy. If you do cardio first, you won't be able to lift as much.

A 5-10 minute warmup on the treadmill is ok, just don't over do it.
  • BabyFishMouth
    BabyFishMouth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer once a week and he always has me end my sessions with cardio intervals. So I'd say weights first, then cardio.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I follow an exercise plan that I read about in a book called ESCAPE YOUR SHAPE. It really works for me.
    1) 10 to 20 minutes low cardio to warm up
    2) complete body stretch
    3) strength training upper body
    4) high cardio
    5) strength training lower body
    6) high cardio
    7) cool down
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i do a cardio warm up on elliptical or treadmill for 10-20mins depending on how much time i have before i go work with the trainer on the strength training...then after i finish the "lifting" i head back to the cardio machines for a good 15-45mins to get the cardio burn to finish my workout....i do know that it is important to warm up your muscles before doing wts so if you can't do cardio after i strongly recommend doing 10-20 mins before at least....

good luck and enjoy your newly toned body...you will be amazed how much your body shape can change with just a little bit of wt training....
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'd recommended getting the book "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". I think you do need to do some cardio warm up before lifting but as far as long cardio, I don't know that it matters when you do it in relation to lifting. Whatever works best. I'm often dead after lifting and wouldn't be able to push myself at cardio.

A great reference.

The only thing I would add is alternate your weight days with your heavy/intense cardio days. Don't do them on the same day (or at least not in the same session), put at least a two hour break. Great job on the progress.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i always do cardio first, so my muscles are warmed up (i do insanity for cardio) and then i lift. Now, im trying to build muscle so the lightest weight i pick up is 20lbs, and thats only for straight arm shoulder moves, like flys and dumbell arm circles. Since you want to lean out, i assume you do the light weight/lots of reps thing, so id bet that as long as you dont go to complete exhaustion with cardio it could come first.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i do a cardio warm up on elliptical or treadmill for 10-20mins depending on how much time i have before i go work with the trainer on the strength training...then after i finish the "lifting" i head back to the cardio machines for a good 15-45mins to get the cardio burn to finish my workout....i do know that it is important to warm up your muscles before doing wts so if you can't do cardio after i strongly recommend doing 10-20 mins before at least....

good luck and enjoy your newly toned body...you will be amazed how much your body shape can change with just a little bit of wt training....

That's how I do it also. Gotta warm up those muscles first. I usually do 10-15 minutes on the stationary bike.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio first, but don't really have a reason why I do that. I am interested in what others have to say..
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Lift weights first!!!!!

You need your energy to lift heavy. If you do cardio first, you won't be able to lift as much.

Exactly. And another addition to the above mentioned statement..............We should not be doing Chronic Cardio (meaning lots and lots of cardio) because it raises Cortisol and can make it impossible to lose weight.

Strength training, long slow walks and occasional short sprints is where its at.
  • yummummum
    Options
    Lift weights first!!!!!

Exactly. And another addition to the above mentioned statement..............We should not be doing Chronic Cardio (meaning lots and lots of cardio) because it raises Cortisol and can make it impossible to lose weight.

Strength training, long slow walks and occasional short sprints is where its at.

What would you consider to be chronic cardio? I know the owner at my gym is a huge fan of short sprints and makes his classes only 30 mins.
    Would you consider 45-60 mins of spin class too much a few times a week? Or do you mean lots and lots of cardio?

And wow, long slow walks? I didn't know that...
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just replied to a similar post, so I'm gonna copy and paste :)

I think it's better to do cardio and strength training on different days (or at different times of the day), so your body focuses entirely on each one. However, if you do both the same day, one after the other, it all comes down to what you're looking for.

If you are trying to build muscle, it's not that good to do cardio after strength training. It's better to eat something after your strength training routine instead, so your body starts recovering and you gain strength.

If you're trying to lose fat, then it's better to do cardio after strength training. That way, as other members have said above, you use your glycogen for your lifts and burn fat afterwards.