Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

LESS Alcohol ~ SEPTEMBER 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

167891012»

Replies

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,092 Member
    @NonnieDoiron ohh, so happy for you that hubby wants to help pay, new ink is always so exciting.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,092 Member
    September:
    AF=6
    A=12 :(
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,561 Member
    AF and it's day 19. No cravings, I've weaned off the sweets and feeling great.
    Impressive some of you are going for 90 days. I want to also and I love a challenge, but I am stuck here: in this time span I have a 1 wk trip, a bday, and Thanksgiving.

Why am I so programmed to drink during these occasions?
    Will I have a boring time skipping the drinking?
    Will I be tempted to fail since my family and friends, who I will be with, ALL DRINK?
    What if I have only 1, will I stop there?

I'll watch the youtube video, thanks for the idea. I need all the positive brainwashing I can get to convince myself I can do this.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,048 Member
    AF and it's day 19. No cravings, I've weaned off the sweets and feeling great.
    Impressive some of you are going for 90 days. I want to also and I love a challenge, but I am stuck here: in this time span I have a 1 wk trip, a bday, and Thanksgiving.

Why am I so programmed to drink during these occasions?
    Will I have a boring time skipping the drinking?
    Will I be tempted to fail since my family and friends, who I will be with, ALL DRINK?
    What if I have only 1, will I stop there?

I'll watch the youtube video, thanks for the idea. I need all the positive brainwashing I can get to convince myself I can do this.

Hello I can relate.

Here is my schedule of events that I will have to fight the temptation. At all of these events I will hear "oh come on just have one, it's not going to kill you!"

This weekend
    Friends coming over this Friday.
    Son in laws B-day party. this Saturday.
    My daughters baby shower Sep 29.
    2 weddings in November.

I am prepared for the negative comments and peer pressure. Always remember when some-one is pressuring you to do drink its usually because they have a real problem with alcohol and misery loves company. :)
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 685 Member
    edited September 19
    Hello LA friends:

Such great conversations this week and thanks for the video post @xbowhunter.

Planning AF tonight and tomorrow (logged) since our flight is tomorrow night heading to an all-inclusive vacation. I will be gone for over 10 days which takes me to the end of September. My LA plans are mindfulness and moderation and lots of club sodas and lime. I will be intentional with my choices.

There will also be ample time to take long walks and get my steps in, as well as time for yoga and relaxing.

When I return, I will jump right back into being dry for at least half of October. It will be here before we know it!

So, I finished the last of the wine yesterday when I returned home around 7:00 p.m. Had a whirlwind 24 hr. trip to help my mother with a medical issue which is resolved.

Current:
    AF days - 9
    A days - 7
    LA - 4 (under 8 oz. wine or 8% alcohol)
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 178 Member
    Black Velvet price in Phoenix today Walmart 750ml: $9.98
    Alcohol here is cheaper than many foods. I'd say half the supermarket weekly ad are discounts on alcohol. And, I am seeing carousels of mini-bottles of many alcohol types in front of the self-checkout. $1.50 each. Walgreens still has an assortment of alcohols, mini Black Velvet included, for 99 cents. Small wine boxes that have 3 servings can be found on sale for $2.99 and $3.99.

I used to live in California where liquor sales are normal like in Phoenix. Until I moved to Oregon in my mid-30's, I had no idea that some states had state-run liquor stores. I now realize that other states do this as well.

I've always been upset about the liquor store situation here. Even though I'm trying to cut down on drinking, I still believe that the state controlling liquor sales is not right. Here if you go to Walmart, Walgreens, Albertsons, Costco, etc., there are no liquor isles. They sell beer and wine. But no liquor. The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) controls where you can buy liquor, what time of day you can buy it, and obviously is bumping up the prices to run their lousy commission. It really stinks in my opinion!

When I first moved here I lived only 35 miles from the California border. At that time, you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays (period!). So we used to go on a fairly regular Sunday drive...to a small town called Hilt. It is in California, 1 mile south of the Oregon border. I think on Sundays most of their customers lived in Oregon. Actually, I kind of miss those drives. We would take the I-5 there. But usually we would take a back road home. It was very remote and pretty.

Sorry for the rant 😁

• SurferGirl1982
    Good morning again!

I've only had 1 AF day this month. And I drank the last two days of August. Not good ☹️

It's just after 10 am and I just had a thought about alcohol. Thinking about how long I have to wait to start drinking (I like to wait until 3 or 4 pm). That's how my days were before my streak last month.

I told my husband that I wasn't going to drink today or tomorrow. I really need to get back on a roll. I can't remember how I did it last month. I know I struggled to get my first day AF. But after that, it seemed effortless.
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 390 Member
    @NonnieDoiron ...after you heal are you going to post a picture of your new tattoo ?? Unless it's in a ...uh...private place !! 🤦
    Good AF vs A numbers for you this month !!

@SurferGirl1982 ...State run alcohol sales in PA also, but they have good sales each month, and deliver to your home , n/c for shipping. My downfall. Oddly, the grocery stores that carry NA beer don't allow InstaCart to add that to an order. It's easier to >:) than to o:) .

My distant cousin who brings his mighty fine homemade moonshine to our pig pickins would banish me to the other side of the bonfire to sit with the "little ladies" who sip Rose if I asked him if he could make creamsicle
    moonshine. Sounds dangerously delicious though, @MissMay .
  • SurferGirl1982
    edited September 19
    @forestdweller1 I can't imagine our liquor store delivering. Our store usually only has two people working at a time.

Do you have actual liquor stores in PA? Or just delivery? I would imagine there would be a minimum order for delivery?

I had a friend that had MS and got to where she was having trouble caring for herself. So, her brothers went to CA and kidnapped her (her words) and brought her to Idaho. The stores are state-run there too. She complained because she was a smoker and she had to go to the liquor store for alcohol and another store for smokes.

Our liquor stores sell hard liquor, beer, cigarettes, soft drinks, mixers and minimal snacks (I never really noticed wine). One store where I lived even sold lottery tickets. My main problem is the hours. They do vary by location. But, ours is only open 9am-7pm (M-Sat) and 11am-5pm on Sundays. I think 9am to 9pm, 7 days a week would be more appropriate. And being closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter...come on! It takes me a week to recover after the holidays because I have to stock up. I hope I won't be drinking this TG 🤔
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 390 Member
    @SurferGirl1982 ...The PA State run stores are huge & well stocked [9-9] and carry just wine and hard likker. Beer is a separate alcohol entirely, usually in smaller shops, beer ONLY. Weird. [To me]. Order $99 worth of your wine and whiskey online and it comes delivered by the cute UPS guy in a couple days. This avoids the "OMDG They're Closed On A Holiday So We Storm The Store On The Eve" situation.

Better choice for the upcoming holidays ?? Let's just not drink on those days ?? Fill your glass with apple juice & a cherry on a toothpick and the drink-pushing people will think you are conforming. Helps if you walk a little funny halfway through the event...🥳
  • SurferGirl1982
    @SurferGirl1982 ...The PA State run stores are huge & well stocked [9-9] and carry just wine and hard likker. Beer is a separate alcohol entirely, usually in smaller shops, beer ONLY. Weird. [To me]. Order $99 worth of your wine and whiskey online and it comes delivered by the cute UPS guy in a couple days. This avoids the "OMDG They're Closed On A Holiday So We Storm The Store On The Eve" situation.

Better choice for the upcoming holidays ?? Let's just not drink on those days ?? Fill your glass with apple juice & a cherry on a toothpick and the drink-pushing people will think you are conforming. Helps if you walk a little funny halfway through the event...🥳

That's really cool. I'd probably be in trouble though if I bought $99 of booze. Oh, Boy!

I miss the liquor stores in CA. They have everything.

Did you ever see the series "Wonder Years" or the movie "Stand By Me"? I grew up in Los Angeles County in the 1960's...that was my life. It was a wonderful place and a wonderful time. We used to ride our bikes to the corner store (which was a liquor store). Kids were allowed to go there. Of course, we would buy sodas and candy. And they knew us and our parents.

There are areas in LA county that are probably best to stay away from. But sometimes you can't. I delivered medical supplies in 2001 (I went back and forth for a while). I had a delivery to an apartment building in south central LA. That area has a reputation of being dangerous. But It was the easiest delivery I ever made. It was an upstairs apartment and I had 6 cases of tube feeding formula and other supplies. The day before I hauled everything up the stairs and no one was home. So I went up the stairs to make sure someone was home. This little old black grandmother hollered to the boys, "Boys, you help this lady!" I had the product on the dolly in the alley. And those boys moved so quick, you wouldn't believe it. All I had to do was have her sign the invoice. I'll tell Ya...Grandmothers Rule!

Funny about beer stores. I had a friend that moved to east Texas. And she would talk about going to the beer store. And it was drive-thru. I guess they couldn't even buy beer in the grocery stores. Definitely weird!

I really have no excuse for drinking on the holidays. Except for the fact that the store will be closed and I'm afraid I might regret if I don't get anything.

I'm still thinking of doing the 90 day thing. We have plans to go for a drive on Saturday. We were going to go up the road that leads to Diamond Lake and Crater Lake. So I don't want to drink tomorrow. I'm tired of letting myself and my husband down.