Couch to 5k- Is it worth doing?

Options
I have never been a runner. I have big boobs (super obnoxious), short legs, and can never seem to breathe right. I always end up with my chest in agony from running. I am considering starting the c25k program. I am wondering if it's SUPER difficult. I know it's going to be hard for someone who's not super in shape, but is it going to kill me every single day? Also, is it worth it? Are the results truly that awesome? Any input is really appreciated.

Replies

• BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thats what I'm doing, I've quite enjoyed and it helps to start the distancing. I also just got Nike+ sensor and use it as well as my C25k app.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They start you out slowly and you can repeat steps if you need extra practice!
  • jaydens_momma
    Options
    Awesome question! I need to find something to do and I am sure my fiance would like to get me running so we can hopefully run together!
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    I have big boobs, too (E-cup) and was really scared of running. But -- and I'm not being dramatic or exaggerating -- C25K changed me. It changed my outlook on running, changed my outlook on fitness, increased my confidence, and I lost a good bit of weight doing it. I blogged about every day of C25K on my blog here on MFP. You can read my full outlook on it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shannonaufman

In short, C25K is amazing. It's TOTALLY worth it and I really loved it.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love it its totally worth it, it jump started my weight loss
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes it is worth it! Go for it if you don't like it stop. I found a love for running trying this program :)
  • redhead91
    Options
    Thats what I'm doing, I've quite enjoyed and it helps to start the distancing. I also just got Nike+ sensor and use it as well as my C25k app.

Just got the app! Hopefully I can get my husband in on it too seeing as how he's in the military but hates running! I might start in a month or two
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the harder it is, the more proud you are when you are done.
  • Debi907
    Debi907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's very easy & as someone pointed out, if it's difficult you can repeat that day until you're ready to move on. It's not like you have to run a certain distance in a certain amount of time. You're competing against yourself only. What do you have to lose? The app is cheap. Good luck!

P.S. Hope you invest in a VERY good sports bra! ;-D
  • redhead91
    Options
    Did anyone loose weight or inches while doing it? Since it's only 3 days a week I'd probably supplement with other exercise but I really want to continue to lose weight/inches!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    yes very worth it! get a properly fitted bra/ sports bra and should be good to go. start slow and take your time, repeat weeks if need be! im glad i did and love to run! its very addictive! plus my legs are in the best shape ever!
  • redhead91
    Options
    It's very easy & as someone pointed out, if it's difficult you can repeat that day until you're ready to move on. It's not like you have to run a certain distance in a certain amount of time. You're competing against yourself only. What do you have to lose? The app is cheap. Good luck!

P.S. Hope you invest in a VERY good sports bra! ;-D

Lol I bought a good sports bra recently! My chest is usually in agony from not being able to breathe though :/
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    I started C25K in May. I had to restart it 3 times. I just finished week 5. I was never a runner & never thought I could do it or would like it. I LOVE IT. I feel amazing when I run, even more so knowing what I have accomplished.

I have pretty huge boobs, but I have gone from 46DD to 42D since May.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Where do I find more info on how to do this?
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have just finished Week 6 of c25k. I also have large breasts, but I wear 2 sports bras. Started as 38FFF, they have gotten a little smaller since losing weight. I am working on form and breathing (not shallow) more than distance and speed. That will come much later. I very much love the simplicity of running. I don't need extra equipment. I would recommend reading different blogs and online articles about different running (shoe, minimal, barefoot, etc). Do get to worried about it. Like Nike says "just do it".
  • jaydens_momma
    Options
    Does it work for someone who really doesn't like running?

Last summer I was measured for a bra and they told me I was an F-cup!

I just downloaded to C25K app!!
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is how I started running in June.. then, just a few weeks ago, I ran a half marathon.
    I stand by the C25k through and through. Start off slow, focus on taking deep in and out breathes. Don't get discouraged if it gets hard, when you finally get to your distance, it'll all be worth it.
    Get good running shoes (get fitted) and make sure you stick with it.

I lost weight and inches. Although, I wasn't very overweight to begin with. So I may not be the norm. Buuut... I thought it was awesome and it started me off on the right foot. And I HATED running. Could never go for more than 30 seconds without being out of breath. Now I can run 8 miles without stopping. And I couldn't even run the mile in high school.
    Do it :). It's worth it. It'll get you into the addiction of running/racing.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    In a word....yes.
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Did anyone loose weight or inches while doing it? Since it's only 3 days a week I'd probably supplement with other exercise but I really want to continue to lose weight/inches!

I'm at the end of week 3 and I've lost an inch from my waist, and an inch from my hips. I've not got much to lose, so I figure that's a big accomplishment.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER ever been a runner, I used to make fun of runners and wonder why they torture themselves that way. But I wanted to change up my cardio and I started the c25k....I am 43 yrs old, and I wear a G-cup and I am loving jogging. It was such an amazing feeling of accomplishment the first time I was able to jog an entire 5k distance without walking. Granted, my jogging to most would be compared to the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare....but I did it and I didn't stop. I am now challenging myself to work on increasing my speed. I am running my first official 5K race next weekend..i'm scared and excited at the same time.

I haven't seen a huge drop in the pounds, but I have seen an extremely noticable difference in inches, especially in the hips....and I now have shapely legs :happy: