A lot of Food but no a lot of calories???

Options
I want to know if eating a ton of low calorie foods but no coming close to 1200 a day is alright? What I mean is can we still get enough nutrition and energy if we are eating mostly fruits, veggies and lower calorie foods and is it just plain ok? I love Shirataki noodles with veggies but most recipes I make with them only come in under 100 calories per serving and it's a huge serving. Another instance is vegetable soup, I make a huge pot once a week but my recipe totals 250 calories for the whole 4 serving pot. I could go on and on about all of the different low calorie foods and recipes but if I am feeling full and not reaching my calories should I try to incorporate other ingredients with more calories???

Replies

• Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Try adding lean sources of protein to your veggie meals. It will increase the calories, and give your body a vital nutrient. 4 ounces of chicken breast is only around 120 cals, so it still isn't alot.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. Your body needs calories to function.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies and you do need more calories...but I would so appreciate your low-calorie recipes to supplement my diet!! Care to share? :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well it isn't bad for you to undereat calories ever so often. As long as everyday isn't like that, you should be alright. As far as nutrition goes, my Blackberry app gives a complete nutritional breakdown of the day on the home screen. This is something that the site doesn't offer as it only allows you to keep 5 spots to track nutrients in your diary. I don't know if the other phone apps do that also, but I find it helpful when I'm concerned about my nutrition.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, more calories are needed. The problem is, things like shirataki noodles are great for filling you up without calories but they provide zero nutrition. The veggies obviously do, but I doubt you're getting enough of essential vitamins and minerals, especially iron and calcium, if you're eating almost all veggies and not getting enough calories. Definitely add in some dairy and lean protein. You also need some healthy fats like olive oil. Your body needs fat to function properly.
  • felixleveron
    Options
    Please share you recps. I could use some low cal recps. My wife has stoped cooking and has turned it over to me. She said she has cooked for 30yrs and is tired of it. I dont mind i love to cook. Cajun men love to cook. thats how I caught her in the first place.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Please share you recps. I could use some low cal recps. My wife has stoped cooking and has turned it over to me. She said she has cooked for 30yrs and is tired of it. I dont mind i love to cook. Cajun men love to cook. thats how I caught her in the first place.

Oooh! Cajun? I want your recipes. Actually, capsacin is really good at boosting the metabolism so I bet you have some great ones already. Try plugging them into the recipe section on MFP. Then if you aren't happy with them, you can always change them up a little.
  • felixleveron
    Options
    Cajuns fry everything. If it crawls,walks swims, or flys they fry it! I have not eaten anything fryed in 18months. Low cal recps are hard to come by.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I make a shake-n-bake type chicken tenders recipe. It's kind of like fried food. It was interesting, but definitely needed tweaking. I only made it once.

Ingredients- Calories/ Carbs/Fat/Protein/Potass/Sodium
    Egg Beaters - All Whites, 1/4 Cup- 30/ 1 / 0 / 6 / 95 / 115
    Publix - Frozen Chicken Tenderloins, 1 container (32 ounces ea.) - 880 / 0 / 12 / 184 / 0 / 1,680
    Spices - Garlic powder, 1 tbsp - 28 / 6 / 0 / 1 / 92 / 2
    Spices - Pepper, black, 0.5 tbsp - 8 / 2 / 0 / 0 / 40 / 1
    Spices - Onion powder, 1 tbsp - 24 / 6 / 0 / 1 / 65 / 4
    Generic -- Rice Krispie - Crisp Rice Ceral, 2 cup - 192 / 46 / 0 / 3 / 48 / 304

Total: 1162 / 61 / 12 / 195 / 340 / 2106
    Per Serving: 145 / 8 / 2 / 24 / 43 / 263

Two strips per serving. I submitted it for the recipe database that they were supposed to be rolling out. But you are welcome to use it, if you need something to substitute fried foods. I would recommend playing with the seasoning though.
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    this one I use a lot, the recipe makes 9 cups but I usually cut it in half due to fridge space.

cups low sodium broth

Cooking spray
    2 carrots, peeled and diced
    1 large onion, diced
    4 teaspoons garlic (from a jar or substitute four cloves minced garlic)
    1/2 cabbage, chopped (or use a bag of slaw, the biggest chunks you can find vs the fine, don't skip the cabbage for it somehow makes the soup)
    1/2 pound frozen green beans
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 large zucchini, diced

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!

Per Cup: 61 Cal, 0g fat, 4g protein, 13g carbs
  • Gretchen27
    Gretchen27 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also make an Alfredo with Shirataki Fettuccine noodles.

1pkg Shirataki Noodles
    2 tbs Fat free cream cheese
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup Frozen Broccoli Florets
    Salt& pepper to taste

Prepare noodles according to package directions, soften cream cheese and mix in milk and parmesan.
    Combine all ingredients and microwave till broccoli is tender.

I suppose U could add chicken to this or sub broccoli with mushrooms

I don't have the cal count for this one but the whole bag of noodles is 40 cals, broccoli like 40 cals and the parm and cream cheese is like 40-50 each tbs.