17 Day Diet questions?!

I would like to know some of the weight loss or inches lost on the 17 Day Diet if anyone has used that as a tool for weight loss. Also just a question, it does not mention drinking milk, at least in the first cycle, is it permitted?

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Prepare yourself to get slammed for even asking that.
    Bottom line: just make healthy food choices and exercise. That's the answer to weight loss.
  • 17 Day Diet = Epic failure...

Eat sensible and stay within your calorie limits. Not so difficult.
  • I have been on the 17 day diet since June 6 and have lost 43 lbs. and 7 inches off my hips, 5 inches off my bust and 6 inches off my waist. Whole milk is not allowed the first 17 days but you can have acidiphilous milk. Mainly as everyone has said, just watching what you eat and exercising is what it takes. On the 17 day diet you are limiting your sugar intake and carbs are eaten early in the day. It has worked great for me and has been the easiest diet I have ever been on and I have been on a lot in my lifetime. I think I began dieting when I was 12 years old and I am now 51 and don't remember when I wasn't trying to lose weight.
  • Ok, if you haven't heard or read about the 17 Day Diet then you dont know how to answer these questions, so please don't. This isn't a lose weight quick scheme, it is a lifestyle change and the 17 Day part will throw you off. So before you give me any advice on why not to do it, please know how it works. I only want to hear from people who actually have done it. I know 3 people who have been successful on it.
  • Awesome, glad to hear! Congratulations! My friend's mom started in April and has lost 50 so that sounds about right! Glad to hear that it's possible as long as I stick to this healthy eating plan!
  • Simply a copy and paste from what I sent to OP:

First of all the 17 day diet is a fad diet like all others, using protocols from the keto diet, calorie cycling and portion control (Weight Watchers). The only reason why it works is because you simply eat less than you consume, but what Dr Mike isn't telling you is by losing weight faster than 2lbs a week(Due to the huge deficit) you will likely have loose skin.

Another note the first phase "Accelerate"(keto based, low Carb) deplete the healthy glycogen (the storage form of glucose) stores in your muscles and liver. When you deplete glycogen stores, you also dehydrate, often causing the scale to drop significantly in the first week or two of the diet. This is usually interpreted as fat loss when it's actually mostly from dehydration and muscle loss. By the way, this is one of the reasons that low carb diets are so popular at the moment - there is a quick initial, but deceptive drop in scale weight. Glycogenesis (formation of glycogen) occurs in the liver and muscles when adequate quantities of carbohydrates are consumed - very little of this happens on a low carb diet. Glycogenolysis (breakdown of glycogen) occurs when glycogen is broken down to form glucose for use as fuel.

The second phase "Activate"(Calorie Cycling), there is no harm in calorie cycling temporarily or indefinitely and the process happens naturally for most people, who don't eat or burn the same number of calories every day. But I am not in favor of focusing on any process that takes you away from attending to the lifestyle changes that you need to make and practice for permanent weight control.

Third phase aka "Portion Control" (Weight Watchers). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you should consume less than your daily calorie limits, but I fail to see where Dr Mike suggest or even explain the macronutrient ratio in his diet. Do you even know the role of each macronutrient? Do you know why you are suppose to consume 1.2 - 1.6 grams of protein for every kilogram of bodyweight? or how about fat intake? Guess not.

Final phase "Cheat Day" - Wild weekends can reverse the progress you make during the week. Ultimately, you’ll feel like you are working hard but not getting anywhere. For example, if you created a 3500 calorie deficit by dieting and exercising Monday through Friday, you could easily undo it by eating and drinking 1750 extra calories for two days. Also, note that successful dieters change their mindsets so they want to eat healthy most of the time.

I've been training for quite some time and have done my homework and let me tell you the supplement industry and all these fad diets is coining it as the sheep keep buying this broscience thinking this is a silver bullet to weight loss. Do yourself a favor and start reading forums and speak to people that actually lost weight and not trying to sell you their product.

Golden rule of fat loss
    - Calories consumed < calories burned
    - High Protein intake to preserve muscle mass (1g - 2.5g per lean body mass, depending on goals )
    - Decent fat intake as to boost testosterone and maintain a healthy reproductive system and organ functions
    - Weight training to build muscle, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn in a rested state.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    I know someone who tried it, lost lots of weight initially, but was mainly water weight. The HUGE calorie deficit isn't good since it'll cause you to deplete glycogen reserves and look towards muscle for glucose and energy, causing muscle mass loss, which isnt' good. I think it's best to cut calories gradually rather than cutting your intake by 1/3 or 1/2 for some people.
  • I would like to know some of the weight loss or inches lost on the 17 Day Diet if anyone has used that as a tool for weight loss. Also just a question, it does not mention drinking milk, at least in the first cycle, is it permitted?

I have lost 12lbs my husband has lost 17 I lost 12 inches just in cycle 2 and my husband lost 11.5 inches. This is a great diet, as far as all the people saying its a fad, or fake diet, calorie deficient or whatever else I have to say its false. You HAVE to eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day or your body will go into starvation mode...Cycle 1 you do take quite a bit out of your diet because its the stuff "most people" over do it on and we need to get rid of it and watch it in moderation, yes the diet is common sense but alot of people "like me" need it laid out for them in a manual or script to help them get on track...I did weight watchers for 4 years and lost alot of my weight but then stalled at the same weight and couldn't manage to break it...after some health issues and gaining some weight back I did the HCG shot diet and had GREAT success with that as well and it jump started me on a weight loss plan....this has kept me motivated and I have learned ways to eat my favorite foods and make them healthier, my husband has learned how to eat healthier, and it has helped him control his blood pressure, gout, and other health issues. I love what this diet has done for me and my husband, and would recommend it to ANYONE who needs to loose weight and learn what to do.
  • I did not know that eating lean meats, healthy fats, unlimited non-starch vegtables, a couple of fruits and drinking 64oz of pure water a day was harmful.

Let see I have lost 23 pounds in water? funny how my bodies fat percentage has droped also. Oh and isn't my body 90% water anyway?

I love the 17 day diet- it is a healthier way of eating then I had been eating. Lots of veggies and lean meats I have added some natural starches back but stayaway from processed foods and sugars.

And if you read the book you will see you don't go crazy on the weekends.; 2 or 3 meals enjoy your self but don't binge. Keep and eye on the scale.

Oh yea, in the month I have been on it I have been able to come off 2 meds. Lost my addiction to die coke and sodas in general. I have not been hungry and have no cravings. Loose skin I will have no mater how fast or slow I lose 100 pounds.

Do a searh for the 17 day diet here or google it and sparkpeople there is a great forum there. There is also a blog www.17daydietblog.com

Give it a try what do you have to lose but weight.
  • kath00
    kath00 Posts: 3 Member
    Facebook has a wonderfully active 17 day diet group where everyone is very devoted to the diet. I would recommend going there too to get your questions answered. I drank NF milk during C1 in my coffee (1c max). I substituted it for the 2nd yogurt serving they recommend. It worked just great. I think you are fine to have NF milk. Also, I track my calories here on MFP and I get about 1200 calories eating the 17DD recommended foods (low carb, high healthy protein). I am on cycle 2 and I am averaging 1250 calories.

I highly recommend the diet. It's completely healthy and not a "fad" as others have stated. DH lost 35lb in the Spring doing it and I am down 5lb (although if you know me, it takes me a year to lose 5lb so losing it in a month is a small miracle for me)!! I am also in the "less to lose" category, now with about 10 more pounds to go till my goal weight, so my weight loss is very slow. But who cares? I feel great and my recent labs were AMAZING on the diet! My doc even asked me what I have been doing to bring down my cholesterol by 25 points!

Katherine
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    I have been on the 17 day diet since July 4th and I have lost around 34 pounds on it and am only five off my goal.

It is NOT a fad diet. People should read the book, it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The first 17 days is cleansing so limited food lists, no carbs as such apart from fruit and veggies- UNLIIMITED protein, the next 17 days is introducing different types of meat then some complex carbs like potato, brown rice, oatmeal etc but only 2 servings a day and before 2pm-again UNLIMITED protein.

Cycle 3 is more like a Weightwatchers type plan ( I have done Weightwatchers too) you can have 2 servings of complex carbs every day and optional snacks-you add things like bacon, turkey rashers, skinny cow ice cream, bread, cereal etc and even alcohol. You can een eat these after 2pm if you wish.......... in this cycle the protein is limited to a certain size potion but with the complex carbs you are getting to eat on this cycle then it makes sense.....

You drink green tea, water and you ARE allowed diet sodas in moderation......milk is also allowed on cycle 3.

When you have finished all 3 cycles then you have the option of going through them again if you have more weight to lose or going back to cycle 2 or staying on cycle 3 until you get to your goal. Then you go on the maintenance plan-cycle 4.

Believe me when I say this way of eating is totally sustainable. I am very rarely hungry. Other posters who have had friends/relatives doing this diet and are saying they were starving and weak with hunger-Im sorry but they haven't been doing it properly. You should not be hungry on this diet-you can eat as much protein as you want..... in fact some days Ive struggled to eat enough to get myself up to 1200 calories per day.... and the diet encourages regular exercise, and increased exercise when you get to maintenance. I am so glad I found this diet, it has totally re-educated me about how to eat properly and how to avoid processed junk..... It was the best six pounds I ever spent after wasting years and hundreds of pounds at Weightwatchers.....
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    I know someone who tried it, lost lots of weight initially, but was mainly water weight. The HUGE calorie deficit isn't good since it'll cause you to deplete glycogen reserves and look towards muscle for glucose and energy, causing muscle mass loss, which isnt' good. I think it's best to cut calories gradually rather than cutting your intake by 1/3 or 1/2 for some people.

Yes you do lose water weight at first but thats the same for any diet.

You dont have to have a huge calorie deficit. You eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day. You can eat more, you dont have to count calories if you dont want to, you can eat UNLIMITED protein.....

I did cut calories gradually and started exercising because thats what the book recommended, I havent been the weight I am now since I was at High School.

You dont need to buy any branded food or supplements-its all about probiotics, fruit, veg. lean meat , complex carbs and some fats....................oh and lots of water!!! its all good.