Brown Rice Side dishes ???

Options
I need some recipes for brown rice as a side dish. If possible, something fairly simple. My BF is somewhat of a picky eater and its easier to get him to eat something when there aren't too many ingredients going on.

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Add some vegetables to already made brown rice. Like steamed carrots or broccoli, or some peas or corn. I sometimes sautee onions, mushrooms, and a cup or two of spinach and I add it to cooked brown rice, or quinoa or wheat pasta.

Enjoy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil for a few minuted, then add the rice and liquid.
  • BethieBoops
    Options
    I live in South Africa, and something South Africans enjoy is adding dried lentils to the brown rice when it is cooking. You add a little more water and cook for the same time you normally do. If you want to make it more zesty, you can add lemon juice for light and fresh (my preference) or tinned tomato and onion for something richer ( hubby's favourite). The lentils add extra protein (yay!) and are fun for something different!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been adding a couple tablespoons of hummus to the brown rice (about 3/4 cup) - mix it all up. I like it served alongside chicken breast. Sooo good!
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Lately I've been adding a couple tablespoons of hummus to the brown rice (about 3/4 cup) - mix it all up. I like it served alongside chicken breast. Sooo good!

LOL so funny you mention chicken because that's what i'm planning to eat with the brown rice. This sounds awesome, btw!
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome ideas everyone! No more "what to do with brown rice" dilemma ... Now I have to figure out which to try first! :laugh:
  • saj6
    saj6 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    when I cook brown rice I often use chicken broth instead of water. I may start off by sauteing onions until they are golden, then add the rice then the broth and cook as normal :-)