Coconut Oil & eggs

Options
Been using coconut oil to cook instead of olive oil......people say that although it is high in saturated fat, its great for weight loss and I must admit my weight is coming off.

Been eating eggs as well as the yoke's.........a lot of new evidence shows that the fat in both products helps weight loss and infact lowers cholesterol..

Whats your thoughts

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried coconut oil yet, but I eat at least one whole egg just about every day!
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I have read mixed reviews about the coconut! I have just started coconut milk and coconut water. Hope it helps me lose and the reviews saying it makes you gain are the wrong ones! I haven't tried coconut oil yet, but with the eggs...sounds good. Might have to pick some up. Thanks for the idea!
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    Another good reason to use coconut oil is because it has such a high tolerance to heat. Olive oil and a lot of other unsaturated fats become oxidized at pretty low temperatures which can cause all sorts of health problems when consumed, especially if you were doing this everyday!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil. I hate egg yolks. Those are my thoughts. I'm simple.
  • kassied09
    Options
    My thoughts- I should eat more eggs! I always do cereal in the morning. Hmm...
  • daves160
    Options
    I have been counseled to do the same by my Instructor/nutritionist. However, I have not been able to find coconut oil. Any suggestion would be appreciated
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I've never thought to use the coconut oil in my eggs for cooking. I may have to try this one day.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Been using coconut oil to cook instead of olive oil......people say that although it is high in saturated fat, its great for weight loss and I must admit my weight is coming off.

Been eating eggs as well as the yoke's.........a lot of new evidence shows that the fat in both products helps weight loss and infact lowers cholesterol..

Whats your thoughts

Coconut oil and saturated fat is not unhealthy. That is old stigma that has been around since the 1950's.

It is awesome , check out my blog on the many uses of coconut oil. http://primal-lioness.blogspot.com
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    The saturated fat content of coconut oil does NOT make it worth it. It is almost all saturated fat! Saturated fats raise unhealthy LDL, which increases the risk of heart disease. The number 1 way to raise overall blood cholesterol is with saturated fats. Olive oil and other monounsaturated fats actually lower the unhealthy LDL while raising the healthy HDL. Saturated fat and trans fats are poor for heart health.
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Where to buy coconut oil?
    amazon. believe it or not. and while it's not cheap, it's cheaper than stores.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Where to buy coconut oil?
    amazon. believe it or not. and while it's not cheap, it's cheaper than stores.
    Yes. I bought the Nutiva brand and it is delicious.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat content of coconut oil does NOT make it worth it. It is almost all saturated fat! Saturated fats raise unhealthy LDL, which increases the risk of heart disease. The number 1 way to raise overall blood cholesterol is with saturated fats. Olive oil and other monounsaturated fats actually lower the unhealthy LDL while raising the healthy HDL. Saturated fat and trans fats are poor for heart health.

Sorry you are wrong with coconut oil.....it actually lowers cholesterol.......read below link

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28712-coconut-oil-lower-cholesterol/

or

http://coconut-info.com/mary_enig_cholesterol.htm
  • cherryObebe
    Options

Sorry you are wrong with coconut oil.....it actually lowers cholesterol.......read below link

or

Dear kind sir,
    Please use credible sources. Here is one from Harvard Medical. You will find that while it does raise HDLs slightly, it does so while raising the unhealthy LDL! You will find that reliable sources and research still claim that even with the new findings, monounsaturated fats are better because they do NOT raise the unhealthy LDLs while still lowering unhealthy HDLs!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2011/May/coconut-oil
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options

or

Dear kind sir,
    Please use credible sources. Here is one from Harvard Medical. You will find that while it does raise HDLs slightly, it does so while raising the unhealthy LDL! You will find that reliable sources and research still claim that even with the new findings, monounsaturated fats are better because they do NOT raise the unhealthy LDLs while still lowering unhealthy HDLs!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2011/May/coconut-oil

That's not a study, that's just someone's opinion. Plus, it says "overall effects on health can't be predicted just by the changes in LDL and HDL". Oh, and it also says "there's no problem using coconut oil occasionally".

On top of that it doesn't say whether coconut oil raises LDLa or LDLb, which makes all the difference.

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons and haven't seen the evidence yet that coconut oil is a miracle weight loss aid, but health-wise I (admittedly just some average person on the street) can see little obviously wrong with it, and Harvard apparently doesn't either. I understand it may raise the metabolic rate, which could be useful in burning fat. OP please let us know how you get on with it!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    The OP is making false claims though. He even posted a link to an article which states that coconut oil is 92% saturated fat with only 50% of that saturated fat containing the lauric acid that has the ability to lower LDLs and raise HDLs. Anyone that can do math will see that 50% of one thing that raises unhealthy cholesterol + 50% of another thing that does both, raises HDL and lowers LDL will see that it = a whole lot more raising bad cholesterol!

Harvard Medical newsletters are quite relevant and valid.

Here is a link from the CDC. Feel free to check it out. It lists coconut oil right along with all of the other saturated fats! I used the Harvard article so that people that have heard about "benefits" of coconut oil can understand where they came from to get a better understanding of the 'big picture'.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/saturatedfat.html
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Here's an excerpt from a review article that I pulled up.

A.M. Marina, Y.B. Che Man, I. Amin, Virgin coconut oil: emerging functional food oil, Trends in Food Science & Technology, Volume 20, Issue 10, October 2009, Pages 481-487, ISSN 0924-2244, 10.1016/j.tifs.2009.06.003.
    (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924224409002052)
    Animal and human in vivo studies on virgin coconut oil
    It has been established that coconut oil is considered a saturated fat because it contains more than 90% of saturated fatty acids. Epidemiologic study suggests that the consumption of high amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol leads to high blood cholesterol (German & Dillard, 2004). Due to that, coconut oil has received bad reputation. However, in the past few years, clinical studies have been conducted on coconut oil and VCO and positive outcomes were obtained which might refute those arguments.

Coconut oil is rich in medium chain triacylglycerol (MCT). Extensive review has been made by Che Man and Marina (2006) and Marten, Pfeuffer, and Schrezenmeir (2006) on MCT. Having rich in MCT, consumption of coconut oil is associated with increase in the serum triacylglycerol but incorporation of structured lipid and other functional substances may improve the lipid profile. A study conducted on regular coconut consumers of Polynesian populations, revealed that consumption of coconut was not associated with heart attacks and other forms of cardiovascular disease (Prior, Davidson, Salmond, & Czochanska, 1981). Coconut oil is also rich in lauric acid; a fatty acid with strong antimicrobial property which inhibited various pathogenic bacteria such as Listeria monocytogenes (Wang & Johnson, 1992). There was also a study showing protective effect of coconut oil together with menhaden oil in reducing mammary tumor incidence in animal study (Craig-Schmidt, White, Teer, Johnson, & Lane, 1993).

The effects of consumption of VCO on various lipid parameters were conducted by Nevin and Rajamohan (2004). The findings indicated that triglycerides in serum and tissues were significantly lower in VCO-treated animals compared to copra oil and control animals. High density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in VCO fed animals was increased while low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol level were significantly decreased compared to copra oil. Polyphenol fraction of VCO was found to be more beneficial than polyphenol fractions of copra and groundnut oils in preventing the copper-induced oxidation of LDL as indicated by the low thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) and reduced carbonyl formation.

In the subsequent study, Nevin and Rajamohan (2006) determined the antioxidant status of rats fed VCO. The results indicated that the activities of catalase (CAT), and superoxide dismutase (SOD) which were mutually supportive team of defense against reactive oxygen species (ROS) and preventing lipid peroxidation, were increased in VCO. The lipid peroxide levels were significantly less in the heart, liver and kidney of VCO fed animals compared to the other oil fed groups. Compared to groundnut and copra oils, VCO feeding was found to increase the total glutationine (GTN) content, a sensitive indicator of antioxidant status. The study concluded that consumption VCO was superior in antioxidant property than coconut oil extracted by dry process.

In a recent study, the influence of VCO on blood coagulation factors, lipid levels and LDL oxidation in cholesterol fed Sprague-Dawley rats were investigated by Nevin and Rajamohan (2008). The lipid levels and thrombotic risk factors as indicated by platelets, fibrin and fibrinogen levels were lower in rats fed VCO compared to copra oil and comparable to sunflower oil. The antioxidant vitamin levels were found to be higher in VCO fed animals compared to the other groups. The LDL isolated from VCO fed animals when subjected to oxidant in vitro, showed significant resistance to oxidation as compared to LDL isolated from the copra and groundnut oils.

VCO, just like coconut oil, is also known for its high MCT. MCT is unique due to its physicochemical properties such as having shorter chain length and smaller molecules compared to long chain triglyceride (LCT), making them more rapidly absorb and hydrolyze in the body. MCT has been using in the clinical area for enteral and parenteral nutrition in diverse medical conditions for treatment of patients suffering from fat malabsorption (Che Man & Marina, 2006). The relevance of the positive consequences of clinical studies on VCO has been widely contributed by its bioactive components. Apart from the physicochemical properties, the scientific investigation of VCO on health effect can further enhance the quality of VCO. Hence good knowledge on the molecular and bioactive components in VCO is highly desired.
  • cherryObebe
    Options

A.M. Marina, Y.B. Che Man, I. Amin, Virgin coconut oil: emerging functional food oil, Trends in Food Science & Technology, Volume 20, Issue 10, October 2009, Pages 481-487, ISSN 0924-2244, 10.1016/j.tifs.2009.06.003.

There is something we are taught in medical school when it comes to reading research articles. That is... when something is tested on animals, it doesn't produce the same effects as in humans. ALSO, when something is in vitro (in a test tube) or in vivo (an isolated cell), it doesn't react or metabolize the same it does in the body. These tests, while providing questions to test or hypotheses, are not levels of information that we can base health decisions off of.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

There is something we are taught in medical school when it comes to reading research articles. That is... when something is tested on animals, it doesn't produce the same effects as in humans. ALSO, when something is in vitro (in a test tube) or in vivo (an isolated cell), it doesn't react or metabolize the same it does in the body. These tests, while providing questions to test or hypotheses, are not levels of information that we can base health decisions off of.

I'm just putting it out there. A lot of the research on saturated fat and cholesterol is based on the same type of studies, is it not?

In any case, I can't wait until saturated fat is finally acquitted of wrong doing. In the meantime, more coconut oil (and butter, and bacon, etc.) for me. :happy:
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Everything is the same "type" of study? NO.

There are (OMGosh I am having to repeat myself and you quoted it!) animals studies, in vitro studies and in vivo studies. All of which are not accurate and do not represent what takes place in the HUMAN BODY. To answer your question, NO, there are actually studies on humans regarding the effects on the human body with diet and exercise regarding saturated facts and cholesterol.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options

or

Dear kind sir,

That's not a study, that's just someone's opinion. Plus, it says "overall effects on health can't be predicted just by the changes in LDL and HDL". Oh, and it also says "there's no problem using coconut oil occasionally".

On top of that it doesn't say whether coconut oil raises LDLa or LDLb, which makes all the difference.

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons and haven't seen the evidence yet that coconut oil is a miracle weight loss aid, but health-wise I (admittedly just some average person on the street) can see little obviously wrong with it, and Harvard apparently doesn't either. I understand it may raise the metabolic rate, which could be useful in burning fat. OP please let us know how you get on with it!

coconut oil like any oil I use sparringly.....................no one especially me did not say it was a mircle weight loss cure....nothing is except heathy eating and exercise will do, All I did was point out that some say it has good health benefits...my cholesteral has improved since using it but that could be down to a numerous things eg exercise and healthy eating......I take all that is stated on the internet with a pinch of salt and come to my own decisions.....i love the taste of it and will carry on using it

For every review you can find one against and one for.....for years the U.S.A food pyramid recommend by the government has been believed by millions.............now the U.S.A has one of the biggest obesity problems in the world..... eggs dont eat them I was told be everyone because of the fat content...now even doctors are saying that is wrong................well instead of me whaffling on I think it comes down to one thing "EVERYTHING IN MODERATION"....I hope that clears the point up