Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Options
The first week of January I quit smoking.:bigsmile: I worked out 2-3 times a week (treadmill 20 min) and "watched what I ate". What I mean is I didn't count calories but did smaller portions and made healthy choices.

I lost no weight in January at all. I said to myself, "yeah, but you quit smoking and your lungs are sexy and you didn't GAIN weight so count your victories".

I continued. In mid February I found MFP and started counting calories and still worked out 2-3 times a week and at 1200-1400 calories a day. My maint. calories is suppose to be 1450 a day. (based on a few calculators).

In the beginning of March I got a HRM. OMG I love it and I discoved I was working out too hard. Once I got it, now I work out 1-2 times a day. Sometimes only 25 minutes a day, sometimes up to 60 minutes a day. I love working out now but still find it hard to find time. But now I make time because it feels good. I never felt good after working out in January and February. In March I also started calisthenics to gain muscle to give myself a weight loss push. I track every morsel. Every day. I do eat my exercise calories. For the ST Patty's party, I worked out a ton to have 1/2 a Guiness! I have stayed in my net calories (net 1200) for weeks. (Since February 21 when I started really tracking.) Sometimes I am 50cals below, sometimes I am 50cals above but that is my leeway (how do you spell leeway?) Typically I burn 250-400cal a day

I now catch myself dancing all the time, doing yoga for fun, stretching while at the computer, I can honestly say I feel at least 5 years younger. (and my husband would like to say that my working out is great because my snuggle appetite is way up).

I started out at 180. My weight bounces everyday, but i have never gone below 172 and usually I am at 175. I did my measurements in January and measure myself 2 times a month. Nothing- nada- exact same measurements.

I know I am healthier. I eat great. whole foods, small protein with every "meal", eat 4-6 times a day, drink 5-8 glasses of water ( up from maybe 1).

What else can I do?

I just want to see some results!:grumble:

Replies

• shariweber
    Options
    The first week of January I quit smoking.:bigsmile: I worked out 2-3 times a week (treadmill 20 min) and "watched what I ate". What I mean is I didn't count calories but did smaller portions and made healthy choices.

I lost no weight in January at all. I said to myself, "yeah, but you quit smoking and your lungs are sexy and you didn't GAIN weight so count your victories".

I continued. In mid February I found MFP and started counting calories and still worked out 2-3 times a week and at 1200-1400 calories a day. My maint. calories is suppose to be 1450 a day. (based on a few calculators).

In the beginning of March I got a HRM. OMG I love it and I discoved I was working out too hard. Once I got it, now I work out 1-2 times a day. Sometimes only 25 minutes a day, sometimes up to 60 minutes a day. I love working out now but still find it hard to find time. But now I make time because it feels good. I never felt good after working out in January and February. In March I also started calisthenics to gain muscle to give myself a weight loss push. I track every morsel. Every day. I do eat my exercise calories. For the ST Patty's party, I worked out a ton to have 1/2 a Guiness! I have stayed in my net calories (net 1200) for weeks. (Since February 21 when I started really tracking.) Sometimes I am 50cals below, sometimes I am 50cals above but that is my leeway (how do you spell leeway?) Typically I burn 250-400cal a day

I now catch myself dancing all the time, doing yoga for fun, stretching while at the computer, I can honestly say I feel at least 5 years younger. (and my husband would like to say that my working out is great because my snuggle appetite is way up).

I started out at 180. My weight bounces everyday, but i have never gone below 172 and usually I am at 175. I did my measurements in January and measure myself 2 times a month. Nothing- nada- exact same measurements.

I know I am healthier. I eat great. whole foods, small protein with every "meal", eat 4-6 times a day, drink 5-8 glasses of water ( up from maybe 1).

What else can I do?

I just want to see some results!:grumble:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    first off if you are in the neighborhood of 175 lbs, your maintenance calories are a lot higher than 1450. I weigh 146lbs and my maintenance calories are about 1800.

Is it possible that you're over estimating your exercise calories? Do you use an HRM? That could be part of the problem. Also are you watching the sodium levels in your foods? high sodium can cause major water retention so watch that. Congrats on quitting smoking :flowerforyou: be patient, the weight will come off!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    are you REALLLY short? because 1450 is very low for maintenance. I mean like 4' 10" low. Maybe you were thinking of BMR? Which I would find much more plausable.

what are your numbers

height
    weight
    activity level

I know you're a 37 year old female, but beyond that it's hard to know anything without at least those numbers.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    aww, Kerri beat me to it. :wink:
  • Lisa_55060
    Options
    Hello! I can't tell you what you are doing wrong because it looks to me you are doing everything right? I was wondering how you quit smoking? I am in my 2nd week of taking Chantix and I am still smoking? I went from 1 pack a day to 4 or 5 cigs a day (which is a big deal for me), but I am sleepy and always craving carbs? I know you are looking for help from posting this but I need some advise on how to stop smoking if you have any?
    Thanks,
    Lisa
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I think you're missing something very important, that you ARE seeing results. You mention several times how much healthier you feel and how much more energy you have. I especially like your comment about "sexy" lungs - lol.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've been working out and watching what I eat since January. I've lost a few pounds, but not as much as I expected. Sometimes, I feel a little down about it, especially when I see how much weight my husband and best friend have lost. But when I do, I just change my focus. I can run three miles at a stretch now. When I started, it was hard to go more than three minutes. I can swim a full lap. When I started that, I couldn't make it half way across the pool. I'm happier now, I sleep better at night and wake up fully rested. I have more energy for my family, and yes, my "snuggle factor" is way up too.

These are all good things. And I know it's hard to see the scale not budge and still be satisfied with your progress. But try and see the bright side of things and be proud of what you HAVE accomplished so far.

Good luck!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You have to be patient when dealing with "quitting smoking". I maintained my weight for ONE YEAR first, then worked on losing the lbs that I needed to. It's normal when your body is dealing with the lack of nicotine, etc. because your metabolism changes. Concentrate on eating healthy and exercising, but most importantly right now about how you feel NOT smoking. Congrats!
  • wonderwouldyou
    wonderwouldyou Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If this is a plateau for you, meaning, you where loosing weight and stopped, then change your workout completely every 6 weeks. Try something new. Hiking instead of treadmill for example.

But

If you just started and haven't lost after all the effort you've done , check with the doc. Maybe its a thyroid problem or something.
  • tigeress4
    tigeress4 Posts: 13
    Options
    :smile: shariweber:wink:

Congrats on not smokeing:drinker: . You are doing just fine. my advice to you is ditch the scale and measurements, you feel great, thats all that matters. If you live bye the measurements and scale you will get really frustrated and you don't want anything to hinder your success. I was on the atkins diet for 7 months and lost 40lbs, the first couple of weeks i was so angry that i wasn't losing like crazy. So i trashed my scale. I weighed myself at a friends or when the kids went to the doctor:tongue: . Please be patient quiting smokeing is not easy ive been there. The weight will come off.
  • jjoyg
    jjoyg Posts: 12
    Options
    Someone else said this but you ARE getting results. You are so awesome that you have been stepping up the program and taking responsibility for your health. You feel stronger and healthier and it is spreading to other aspects of your life (like your marriage). AWESOME!.

I know what you mean about the weightloss numbers though. That takes a whole heck of a lot of patience. Think about how long it took you to get to that weight. It didn't happen over night and probably didn't happen in 3 months (which is how long you have been working out). All the false advertisements that boast you can lose a whole lot of weight in a short period of time with little effort is crap. You know it is work but maybe you need to tell yourself TIME. Keep doing what your doing...check up on your calorie estimations to make sure everything is close to where is should be. Remember though, MFP recommends you only lose a pound a week. Since one pound (or even 5 lbs) is hard to track. Track your weight ranges see if the high and lows are decreasing in range.

God bless and good for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • shariweber
    Options
    Ok, hopefully I am doing this right... I don't normally do message boards so if my ettiquette is wrong - just a pinch of grace please:flowerforyou:

First off- thank you all for the encouragement; for quitting smoking and health, etc. You have no idea how many times I come here a day to hear others fighting the worthy fight. It was very nice to hear it TO ME.

Now I will try to be responding a bit more specifically...

To those who say "patience"... really?!? 12 weeks feels like a long time. I mean it only takes 10 minutes to get married, 30 days to buy a house, 4 months to grow a tomato from seed, 40 weeks to make a person! I really feel like I should be SEEING something. I love how I feel and I will keep going for that alone (that and there is NO way my husband will give up my new hobby :blushing: ) but I would love to carry less weight around, feel great in my jeans. I mean they are almost exactly the same fit still.

I am carrying myself better and therefore there is a small visual change when I walk past a window but it is my gaight (sp?).

I can't call it a plateau because I never really lost weight. The few pounds it goes up and down are literally like the water variable. Less in the morning, back up by bedtime.

I don't typically use a scale. It is new for me. 12 years ago (OMG was it that long ago) when I lost 20lbs after having my son, I only did measurements. It was the Covert Bailey kind of thing to do. BMI & size matter, who cares how much your awesome body weighs unless your being carried around - right? I bought it because I wasn't seeing the measurements change and thought that was odd.

I just went to the DR yesterday. I have a great relationship with my doc. He didn't run any tests, but HE didn't seem concerned at all. I went for a sinus infection I have been fighting for a couple weeks so that was the focus of the visit. Of course HIS scale had me way heavier so I am not sure he even believed I was trying :wink:

I cannot stress how good my body FEELS. It is truly amazing. Quitting smoking is so hard. I quit in my early 20's but started back up again when my mother passed away. (what a dumb thing to do )
    I used the patches this time and it was SOOO easy. My brother is using Chantrix. He is still eating sunflower seeds by the pounds. I rarely even need gum. :smokin: So Lisa, my suggestion is:
    Get the patch- get the clear ones they work way better and don't fall off. Carry a patch in your purse too because in about 20 days you will start to forget to put it on! That's when you know you have changed your brain! I also bought the low nic gum for very stressful times and for after a meal. I only had 3 VERY hard cravings, most were "I want a ciggarette... to bad the only way to have one is to smoke and I don't smoke anymore". I told myself I didn't care if I was on nicotine forever, but I am never smoking again... and I am not cool enough to pull off chew :sick:

About calories:
    I can't see your post right now but Kerri (?) {cutie blonde that is getting married in like 50 day} and{ guy without shirt on}, you said maybe my calories are too low?
    I don't know if I am talking BMR or maint... MFP put me on 1200 to lose 1.5 lbs a week with my excercise. I did another calc. and it said 1450. Seeings how I want to look as good as I feel I have been doing 1200 + excersice calories. I did get a HRM and it changed everything. It is how I found out why working out stunck before and made me exhausted and feeling horrible all day to feeling fantastic.
    I have been known to run around the house with it just to watch! :blushing:
    The thing is I am already FULL. I think I was one of those people that ate 700 cals for lunch, no breakfast and 500 for dinner and called it a day... then 1 to 2 times a week I would eat a bag of chocolates (just so you know my discipline factor is apparently way up because I have only had 12 of those evily delicious mini cadbury eggs... o how i love those:devil:
    I am seriously full. Last night I had worked out a bit harder than I expected at the Y and had to come home and eat another 120 calories. I wandered around in the kitchen like I used to looking for something to eat when I was bored but it was because nothing sounded good. I was still full from dinner 3 hours before! (dinner was 350 cal) Oh, and I measure everything!
    I am sorry this is so long, but you guys all answered so fast while I took my girl to school I had a lot of catching up to do.
    Again, thank you guys so much. You have absolutely no idea how important these boards are to me right now. :smile:
  • shariweber
    Options
    I knew I forgot something:
    Height 5'4"
    Weight between 175-180 most days ( did hit 172 one day and hit 182 one day so go figure)
    I am a mom of 3 but they are older so not chasing kids around. It is winter and the ground is still frozen so I am not gardening or anything like that. I am a Realtor so I spend a majority of my "work day" in a car or at a desk with small amounts of walking property, etc. I live in a 2 story with a family of 6 so I am schlepping laundry alot but other than housecleaning not really anything exciting.
    Of course now my activity level is much higher. I typically work out for 30-40 min in the morning. Dance with my dog for about 10 minutes while I cool down (my dog even appreciates my new found energy), and enjoy my wii fit for about 15-20 minutes later on in the day.
    Sometimes (maybe 2-3 times a week) I will get back on the treadmill at night or go to the Y
    I work out every day now. every day... cuz I love it! that still sounds crazy to me but it is true
  • shariweber
    Options
    Hello! I can't tell you what you are doing wrong because it looks to me you are doing everything right? I was wondering how you quit smoking? I am in my 2nd week of taking Chantix and I am still smoking? I went from 1 pack a day to 4 or 5 cigs a day (which is a big deal for me), but I am sleepy and always craving carbs? I know you are looking for help from posting this but I need some advise on how to stop smoking if you have any?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Lisa, I will probably be the only one to say...GREAATT JOB on becoming a semi smoker! But you have to give the other 5 up. Have to. The way cigs work, you are still doing all of the damage for only 1/4 of the "fun". It is ok to be addicted to nicotine for a while- get the patch-and the gum for emergencies- but it is amazing after you get past week one how different life feels as a nonsmoker. You can do it. You are already doing it. Just say goodbye to that bad friend. I read a website after I quit that was Dear John letters to ciggs. They were great!
    http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/goodbyeletters/Goodbye_Letters_to_Cigarettes.htm
    give a few of em a read... they were great!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ok so at 5' 4" and 175 and a lifestyle between sedentary and lightly active your maintenance calories should probably be about 1650 or so. I would try to be at about 1200 calories net for a little while, that's not quite 1.5 lbs a week (closer to 1 lb/week) but it should work for you.

As to the eating thing, Personally I feel that meals should (for most women) be between 250 and 400 calories each, and you should eat your bigger meals earlier, and lighter meals later.

this is just my opinion, and of course you should tweak it to fit your needs, but that's my opinion.
  • wonderwouldyou
    wonderwouldyou Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    By the way ....

The American Cancer Society is sponsoring people who quit smoking, my roommate was able to get patches and gum for free:noway:

Keep going on the no smoking thing :grumble: :smokin: :grumble: