Coconut Oil & eggs

Options

Replies

• cherryObebe
    Options
    Been using coconut oil to cook instead of olive oil......people say that although it is high in saturated fat, its great for weight loss and I must admit my weight is coming off.

Been eating eggs as well as the yoke's.........a lot of new evidence shows that the fat in both products helps weight loss and infact lowers cholesterol..

Whats your thoughts

This is what you said, sir.

EDIT: In addition, you bring up the food pyramid and the obesity epidemic in the US. IF and that is a big IF the American population followed said food pyramids, we wouldn't have the current epidemic. Nowhere on any food pyramid has there ever been anything that promoted fast food and processed foods!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Everything is the same "type" of study? NO.

There are (OMGosh I am having to repeat myself and you quoted it!) animals studies, in vitro studies and in vivo studies. All of which are not accurate and do not represent what takes place in the HUMAN BODY. To answer your question, NO, there are actually studies on humans regarding the effects on the human body with diet and exercise regarding saturated facts and cholesterol.
    I was just pointing out that there are "those types" of studies (animal studies, in vitro studies and in vivo studies") done on saturated fat in general.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    And yes, I know there are problems with meta-analyses -- just as there are drawbacks to ANY research (or would you like to wave your medical school training around a bit more?), but this paper is also pretty interesting:

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease
    Patty W Siri-Tarino, Qi Sun, Frank B Hu, and Ronald M Krauss (2010)
    Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Been using coconut oil to cook instead of olive oil......people say that although it is high in saturated fat, its great for weight loss and I must admit my weight is coming off.

Been eating eggs as well as the yoke's.........a lot of new evidence shows that the fat in both products helps weight loss and infact lowers cholesterol..

Whats your thoughts

This is what you said, sir.

EDIT: In addition, you bring up the food pyramid and the obesity epidemic in the US. IF and that is a big IF the American population followed said food pyramids, we wouldn't have the current epidemic. Nowhere on any food pyramid has there ever been anything that promoted fast food and processed foods!

Yes I said thata lot of new evidence shows that the fat in both products helps weight loss and infact lowers cholesterol..but asked others views..................so by asking others views I would have thought it was obvious that I was asking others what they thought and could they put some input into it !

And no the American food pyramid did not promote fast food..............but your Harvard professors are now going against it due to its content and recomendations.....
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I saw coconut oil in the health food section at Raley's in northern California.
  • oswaldbowser
    Options
    Here's an excerpt from a review article that I pulled up.

A.M. Marina, Y.B. Che Man, I. Amin, Virgin coconut oil: emerging functional food oil, Trends in Food Science & Technology, Volume 20, Issue 10, October 2009, Pages 481-487, ISSN 0924-2244, 10.1016/j.tifs.2009.06.003.
    (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924224409002052)

There is something we are taught in medical school when it comes to reading research articles. That is... when something is tested on animals, it doesn't produce the same effects as in humans. ALSO, when something is in vitro (in a test tube) or in vivo (an isolated cell), it doesn't react or metabolize the same it does in the body. These tests, while providing questions to test or hypotheses, are not levels of information that we can base health decisions off of.

I'm just putting it out there. A lot of the research on saturated fat and cholesterol is based on the same type of studies, is it not?

In any case, I can't wait until saturated fat is finally acquitted of wrong doing. In the meantime, more coconut oil (and butter, and bacon, etc.) for me. :happy:
    ting

Same here I love the taste of it.............your post was very interesting, many thanks for your input
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    When someone has a health issue that is lifestyle related, which a majority of things are, they will be given advice by someone with my education on lifestyle changes that they can make to improve their overall health. Just like this scenario, you are free to do with it what you wish. You are the only one accountable for your health. They don't teach us this information without reason.

Good luck on your journey.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Whats your thoughts

I don't know anything about coconut oil but I love fresh coconut and the milk/water inside. Also a big fan of eggs.

I wanted to tell you OP, that I thought your post was written very respectfully and you clearly were not trying to say do this or that; just offering your opinion, what's been working for you, and asking if anyone else has had similar experiences.
  • oswaldbowser
    Options
    When someone has a health issue that is lifestyle related, which a majority of things are, they will be given advice by someone with my education on lifestyle changes that they can make to improve their overall health. Just like this scenario, you are free to do with it what you wish. You are the only one accountable for your health. They don't teach us this information without reason.

If your education on life style changes it so great cherryObebe...............I dont wish to be rude by how did you end up getting on this site to lose weight, or do you not practise what you preach !
  • 30lbsorbust
    30lbsorbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel that I need the protein in my diet that eggs, peanute butter and lean meats offer. I always feel better when I eat them and stay away from the carbs. (Not that it is for everyone.) I use olive oil. I wonder if coconut milk would offer the same weight-loss? I sure like it. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I luv how coconut oil makes my scrambled eggs taste, yummy!!
    I use coconut for cooking and as a hot oil treatment in my hair.
  • oswaldbowser
    Options
    Yes i have heard its great for hair as well !
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I usually have two eggs and two salmon sliders fried in a coconut oil/ghee blend. The coconut oil I use is expeller pressed because I prefer without the mild coconut flavour of virgin coconut oil. I cook with this blend a lot because it's stable at cooking temperatures. For salad dressing I use olive oil.

Some other studies because people are throwing these around:
    Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthrometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/02ngg2413wm2w630/

Coconut Oil associated with beneficial lipid level in pre-menopausal women
    http://211.76.170.15/server/APJCN/Volume20/vol20.2/Finished/6_1902_190-195.pdf

And this has a list of peer reviewed literature of coconut oil
    http://www.coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed.htm
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I am on this site to utilize the calorie counter and food diary. In terms of my weight, genetics play a role in everything.

Nice rebuttal though. "You have no credibility because you have a goal of going from 140lbs to 125lbs and are on this site too".

Edit: Feel free to friend me if you would like to critique my food diary, but I ask that you open up yours for the same. lol
  • lindsay6694
    Options
    ive used a little bit in my oatmeal with a little coconut milk, 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetended dark cacao powder, a little shaved dark chocolate on top and some shredded organic unsweetened coconut! so yummy!

also its supposed to be very good for tightening up loose skin....its used as a moisturizer :)
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    One more thing to the OP... Nowhere in any of my posts did I attack you, your weight or your purpose for being here. Truth be known, I came to MFP 2 weeks ago as an assignment in a Clinical Nutrition course. Since I am utilizing it for schoolwork, I felt I would get involved. That is just the way I am! Not only did I not attack you or your weight in any of my posts, I never spoke of coconut oil in the context of weight management. If you re-read your original post, you mentioned saturated fats. At the end, you asked to the general population what their opinion was. I gave you my opinion. It was based on the saturated fat (it is 92% saturated fat! so almost 100% lol) it was NOT worth it due to the effects of saturated fat on your health.

I guess next time you pose a question to the general population asking their thoughts, you should post a requirement that they agree with yours! :huh:

If your education on life style changes it so great cherryObebe...............I dont wish to be rude by how did you end up getting on this site to lose weight, or do you not practise what you preach !
  • oswaldbowser
    Options
    I am on this site to utilize the calorie counter and food diary. In terms of my weight, genetics play a role in everything.

Nice rebuttal though. "You have no credibility because you have a goal of going from 140lbs to 125lbs and are on this site too".

Edit: Feel free to friend me if you would like to critique my food diary, but I ask that you open up yours for the same. lol

What rubbish are you talking, i wish I only had only had to go from 140 lbs to 125lbs......its seems to me that you are to engrossed in your own self importance to actually take note of others opinions and views...if you wernt to wrapped up in your own self you would realise that my food diary is open to everyone......lol

Hope this article keeps you busy and stop annoying people on their posts http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm

Oh and genetics .......blaming them seems a easy way out, nothing to do with that you just ate to much or the wrong foods then !
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    all I can say is WOW!
  • oswaldbowser
    Options
    all I can say is WOW!

WOW indeed lol
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    In your world, genetics plays no role. Saturated fats play no role.

Ignorance is bliss.

Thank you for the personal attacks. Have yourself a good one, sir.

P.S. Like I said, I have only been here for 2 weeks. I was under the impression that my food diary was open to my friends only because that is how I have it set. Have a hay day with my food diary! What you see is my current pic. lol Thanks for the laughs.