Couch to 5k- Is it worth doing?

Options
2»

Replies

• ecoyle
    Options
    i am on week 2 now i too need work on the breathing thing any tips for this would be fab! i have never liked running at all but would like to enjoy it so just pushing myself out the door to get it done an hopefully i will grow to love it.
  • jaimieht
    Options
    In a word....yes.

ditto.
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded the app and created a playlist to go with it but for some reason I can't make myself get out the front door. I used to love running. All throughout high school I ran cross country or track it seemed like, but now I'm afraid to start running again. It's been at least 15 years.

I so want to take that first step, but just haven't managed it yet. HELP!!!!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I never was a runner, and always wished I could be. I spent a really long time just working up to a 5K on my own...and then literally about two days after I successfully ran 3.2 miles (comfortably) for the first time ever, I heard about Couch to 5K and was so angry that I missed out on such a great workout plan (that's obviously proven to have helped to many people)!

Even though I didn't use the C25K program, I made up my own schedule that was similar in concept...and now I run. A lot. And can comfortably do about 4 miles out on the trails or on the treadmill :] Making yourself into a runner, especially if it's an activity you're interested in, has so many awesome benefits. Plus, working on your 5K time is a great way to have a more activity-filled life, because there are always races on the weekend for this-or-that charity!
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    YES!

I did it some years ago and was amazed at how long I could run (without stopping!) at the end of it. It's a very gradual program. You will enjoy it.

PS. I remember there were some MP3s for each week that helped you keep track of the minutes and walking breaks, very useful. I think they are here: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it!!
    I started C25k in January and now I'm 21kg lighter (47 pounds), I ran a 12k race in August and now I'm just about to set out for a 14km training run, working towards a half marathon on February.

When I started I was wearing an 18DD bra, now I'm in a 12D (Aussie sizes, that's probaby an 8D US).

My best tip is to run slow. Really really slow!!
    This takes away the stress of being out of breath so soon.
    And don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you need to, I couldn't manage 8 separate 1min runs the first week so I started with 6 and worked my way up from there.... now I can run for an hour and a half!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I loved C25K!

I started in December, at age 38, was able to run 5k in February, ran my first race in March, was able to (almost) keep up with my 25 year old very athletic niece in May, finishing just a few seconds behind her in a 5 mile race.

Last weekend was the first race I did since then, and I won first place in my age group, and beating my personal record by two and a half minutes! I'm running my first10k on Sunday.

A year ago, I could barely run a tenth of a mile, and now I have my heart set on winning a trophy. Not this weekend. But... Someday. :smile:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Does it work for someone who really doesn't like running?

Last summer I was measured for a bra and they told me I was an F-cup!

I just downloaded to C25K app!!

Yes it does work for someone who doesn't like running. I HATED to run... but I started doing Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVDs and she does "boosted walking" (which is really jogging) and I just started doing it around my living room, dining room, kitchen, etc. instead of in place... and the next thing I knew I couldn't STOP myself from downloading the app. I asked my friends "please help me, I hate to run, I don't want to do this" -- yet I COULD NOT STOP myself... I haven't kept up with the training due to painting my house, but I look forward to running (short short) when I can... I actually really like it now.
    Damn.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    i am on week 2 now i too need work on the breathing thing any tips for this would be fab! i have never liked running at all but would like to enjoy it so just pushing myself out the door to get it done an hopefully i will grow to love it.

No real tips for breathing except .... Keep Running!!! You're not only building cardio-vascular strength but also pulmonary capacity. Every time you run you are increasing your lungs' ability to move air. Take it slow and I promise your breathing will get better.

I did this program it works!
  • ylihas_x3
    ylihas_x3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have the app sitting on my phone for two months now, been planning on doing it but would really like a partner. but now since i read all these good reviews might as well start! need to boost my running stamina :)
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So afer posting earlier I started to feel really bad about not just going ahead and sarting the program. I felt embarassed. I picked up my son after school, picked up both the kids bikes at home and we took off for the track. I finished day 1! I have no idea why I procrastinated so long. I didn't feel like I was dying I manages all 8 runs just fine with no stopping early. I'm ready for run 2. come on sunday!!!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    start sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, NO reason to hurry or injury yourself. You shoudl not be in pain, maybe soreness, but not pain. If you are in pain, then it's because of your shoes, the way your foot is hitting the ground, or you are trying too hard.

It's not worth it, start slow and enjoy! If you enjoy it and beat the little challenges it becomes so much fun!

Oh, my sister uses the excuse about her boobs too. Well, I should say, I'm not sure if it's just an excuse or if it is true, but if you start out slow and buy a good sports bra then you shouldn't have a problem of them bouncing everywhere.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ok if there is anyone that can empathize it is me. I started about three months ago on a treadmill thinking that walking at a speed of 3.0 was fast. I told my sister that I will NEVER run. Today I got the treadmill up to 5.8 and I ran what is the eqivilant of a 5k in 38 minutes. Start slow. I didn't mention that like you I also am blessed in the chestal region. Mitt I recommend the brand Brooks for a bra. It works great for me. Good luck and don't give up.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    So afer posting earlier I started to feel really bad about not just going ahead and sarting the program. I felt embarassed. I picked up my son after school, picked up both the kids bikes at home and we took off for the track. I finished day 1! I have no idea why I procrastinated so long. I didn't feel like I was dying I manages all 8 runs just fine with no stopping early. I'm ready for run 2. come on sunday!!!

Good for you!!!!
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I found this program very worth doing! I have never been a long distance runner personally, but this has changed that. If any one is looking for the program here is a good page. Also if you have an ipod or smart phone I would highly recommend downloading the app :)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    the harder it is, the more proud you are when you are done.

yep, what he said. i haven't officially "graduated" yet, but week 9 is 30 minutes at a time... i did 44-45 twice last week! yahoo! give it a try, you won't regret it!

oh, by the way, no boobs in the way here... jillian's 30 day shred shredded them right off of me! argh!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    as for the breathing-

i had a horrible time with breathing at first! a friend suggested i focus on breathing out when my left foot hit the ground. i usually take a breath every 3-4 steps depending on how i feel. it has worked wonders for me and no more side stitches! yeah!
  • nikkimwarren
    nikkimwarren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too have big boobs and love running. So you can double bra it or I love hanes jogging bras. As for breathing I run and count 1-4 with my steps. Steps1-2 I breathe in and steps 3-4 I breath out. Go slow and enjoy it.
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem-large boobs. But started the C25k and really love it. I haven't quite finished it yet, I have had to go back and practice the steps again because I just wasn't satisfied with how I did it. I have noticed my endurance is getting better each time I do it. I recommend trying it.