35-40

Options
I have noticed a lot of people on here right about my age. I have had such a hard time losing weight this time around. Is it truly the metabolism thing with aging? Exercise is the true way to fire up the metabolism. This I know. It seems though, the more I work out, the more hungry I become. I am not trying to have this complete defeatist attitude. I know consciously that to lose weight this time, will take true dedication, lifestyle changes and discipline. Thoughts?

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I do think as an older dude my metabolism has slowed and I am sure that has a factor into losing weight. or it could be #10 of these Bud's that I am pounding down.....
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The more I exercise, the more it curbs my appetite. I've always had a slow metabolism, so idk about the age thing. Muscle burns more though, so maybe less cardio and more weights.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot older than you and --- this is my opinion--- that people who gain weight as they grow older become less active and of course this slows the metabolism. So, it isn't really a function of something you can't control (like gray hair), but a function of replacing a more active lifestyle (like taking care of small children) with becoming more sedentary at work, or having an illness affect you more as you age, etc. that slows the metabolism.

The good news is you can choose to form new habits and move more each day as a conscious choice. The bad news is as you get older and have more responsibilities, it is harder to squeeze in time for exercise.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I stayed active into my 40s and gained weight anyway -- my metabolism did change and regular exercise wasn't enough. I suppose I could have trained for a triathlon, but I didn't have the time and had too many old injuries. I simply had to make diet part of the solution.
  • etromb50
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts Much appreciated and full of wisdom.