Starving

Options
Hi-I joined Feb. 10th. I have been very faithful to logging my calories and such. I run long distance and I usually eat most or all of my exercise calories. I haven't lost weight nor have I lost inches. And I am soooo hungry-I just ate lunch but I as still hungry. Are any of you starving like this?

Replies

• Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Hi-I joined Feb. 10th. I have been very faithful to logging my calories and such. I run long distance and I usually eat most or all of my exercise calories. I haven't lost weight nor have I lost inches. And I am soooo hungry-I just ate lunch but I as still hungry. Are any of you starving like this?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont really find myself starving but I eat a lot of lentils and high fiber foods
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have my days where I cannot eat enough to satiate my hunger.
    Today, for example.
    I am eating like a pig. Luckily I keep low cal snacks around so even when pigging out, I'm not doing too much damage.
    Sorry I'm no help!! :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

how many calories are you eating? sounds like your not eating enough...
  • Kimono
    Options
    I am going to run 7 miles tonight so with my exercise calories I would be able to eat 2000 calories today. Seems like a lot to me.
  • Jolieblond
    Options
    High fiber and low carb is the key to keeping your body satisfied. High protein foods shakes, bars, eggs keep you fuller longer. I don't know if that helps.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am going to run 7 miles tonight so with my exercise calories I would be able to eat 2000 calories today. Seems like a lot to me.
    Calories seem plenty..it may be just the food options and psacing them out better
  • heather0mc
    Options
    maybe eat more often using the suggestions others have posted. you seem like you run a lot, i bet you could eat more calories but i dont know how many you burn or what you are set for daily. drinking your water?
  • Kimono
    Options
    How much fiber do you guys consume?? I have mine set for 25 grams and I typically meet that or go over that. Oh and if my carbs are too low, I can't run. I have to stop and go eat a banana or something. Gotta have my carbs.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I get like that sometimes. I usually try to drink water. If I am still hungry after 30-hour I eat. I usually find eating a grapefruit works for me.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    How much did you say you wanted to lose per week on MFP? If it's set at 2lbs maybe try for 1lb or .5lb since you are only trying to lose 5lbs total. That should give your body enough food to not be hungry. :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    Options
    here is mine:

cals
    carbs
    fat
    protien
    sodium
    fiber

but this is just what MFP set me at. i didnt adjust it at all. i dont run either, so we cant really compare accuratly.
  • Kimono
    Options
    I upped my fiber requirments because I read somewhere that 25 grams was a good amount. And I have it set for 1 pound a week, but that hasn't worked. I am kind of giving up on losing the 5.
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    This sounds familiar to what I went through a few years ago. I had planned a trip to Hawaii and had six weeks to get it together. I started eating better (although this was pre-MFP days, so I just cut out bad stuff and concentrated on eating healthily) and I ran 5 miles a day, 6 days a week, for 6 straight weeks. I remember being hungry a lot. I also distinctly remember being ready to quit exercise for ever because by the end of the six weeks, I had no weight loss to show for all my work, nor had I lost any inches. My husband said I looked more toned, but what else is he gonna say? I was still in my same old clothes and felt like all my effort had been a waste.

This time around (I started Jan 5), I am 5 years older and I don't run like that anymore. I have lost 19 lbs since beginning (I am 1 lb. from my original goal) and it is through swimming, stationary bike, jogging, walking and the stairmaster. I have actually found that too much exercise can slow down my weight loss. Weird, huh? I think my body gets freaked out by the extra work and hangs on for dear life to those calories......Is your primary goal to lose lbs? Because if it is, I would suggest letting up on the running for a week or two, just to see how your body reacts. If you are more interested in aerobic fitness and don't care so much about what the scale says, keep doing what you are doing.

I am inclined to think that after over a month of consciously eating low calorie, nutritious foods and your body is still asking for more, you should probably feed it more.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Ok thanks for all the info. I may just up the calories a bit. I am training for some races so the running will stay constant for awhile. I do some other cardio and strength training also. I am going to go get a snack now-a healthy one of course.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I dont really find myself starving but I eat a lot of lentils and high fiber foods

I LOVE lentils! Have any good recipes that are easy and low cal?
  • Starchaser
    Options

I LOVE lentils! Have any good recipes that are easy and low cal?

Yup
    (Lentils + vegetable stock + onions+ celery + carrots) over a hot stove for 45 minutes= epic lentil soup.
    Add some wholemeal or poppyseed bread and you're winning.

Also, this looks AMAZING

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/quick-suppers/fillets-of-sea-bass-on-provencal-lentils-recipe_p_1.html

Yes there's double cream in it but it works out as 30ml per person so not that bad
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Long-distance running always makes me feel famished... Drinking a lot of water and some gatorade helps though... as a lot of that famished feeling is really thirst masquerading as hunger. And fatigue... Are you getting your zzz's?

Btw... you're so lean already... Maybe you just don't have any fat to lose - either in pounds or in inches!
  • shariweber
    Options
    I don't usually get starving anymore. I used to and then I would gorge...

I am not tracking my fiber and I am only eating 1200 net calories.

I love veggies and snack on them all the time. They taste great, more filling and low calorie. Carrots are the new potato chips, ya know? I think raw veggies keep me from being hungry.

Also, I am eating more protein than I used to. Used to be vegetarian (back in the day) so I don't like meat much, but I am focusing on them and so even though I am sure my protein intake could never be enough for you, I still go over my MFP goal most days and it feels like a ton to me.

So I guess I would say more veggies and more protein.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Long-distance athletes have unique nutritional needs that other dieters do not.

Kimono - have you tried timing your carbs for maximal energy release when you need it? I've seen diet plans in Runner's World that suggest having your high-carb meal closest to your run and raising the % protein for the other meals.

In response to the suggestions about fiber, runners need to be careful with that.. Running itself makes you digest your food faster. Adding too much fiber is an accident waiting to happen - or a very painful walk to the nearest port-a-potty. :sick: