FMLA

Options
binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
What does it mean to you?

[rant] I just had a coworker call in. She is destroyed this morning after going out last night. She calls in to have me tell mngt that she is having anxiety attacks so her sick day will not count against her (she has been almost fired due to missing work, but is still here thanks to the union). Another coworker leaves whenever he gets the urge and puts it under FMLA. He referred to it as his "Golden Ticket". Another rarely works a full 80 hours and is rarely on time all thanks to FMLA.

No...not everyone is like this. Some people have legitimate reasons. These people cast doubt on legitimate claims.

What does FMLA mean to me? F*** My Life Already [/rant]

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    so sorry u have to deal with that ^^ I think the best thing to do is to ignore it, unless it causes u to do extra work with no benefit ^^

maybe ask for them to buy u dinner to thank u for having their back ^^
  • jfhaskell
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you work at the same place as me!!!!
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How are they able to use FMLA? I thought that was when a person was going to be out for an extended period of time. Not 1 or 2 days...
  • kivrinangel
    Options
    Wow. That sucks. I live in Louisiana, which is one of only two "right to work" states. Sounds like a positive thing from the title, but what it really means is that unions have absolutely no power. An employer can let someone go without a stated reason. Those people wouldn't have survived here.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My first thought was with you on it. Then after thinking about it, I was wondering the same thing as Mios3. I didn't think it could be used at random times & whenever it was convenient.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Family Medical Leave Act I believe, I think it might be part of how a wife and husband can get paid for time out of work after having a baby. Well I think it's part of it at least
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Or it could be F&ck My Life, *kitten*
  • binary_jester
    Options
    "The FMLA guarantees time off, whether paid or unpaid. The type of leave taken depends on the reasons for the leave, an employee's earnings and the usual postal leave regulations. There are eligibility criteria, medical certification guidelines and other detailed rules governing letter carrier rights to FMLA leave."

So a doctor says you are having panic attacks and states you can leave work whenever...it is approved by law. Now once they run out of sick leave it is not paid for, but you can still leave work by law.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to you?

[rant] I just had a coworker call in. She is destroyed this morning after going out last night. She calls in to have me tell mngt that she is having anxiety attacks so her sick day will not count against her (she has been almost fired due to missing work, but is still here thanks to the union). Another coworker leaves whenever he gets the urge and puts it under FMLA. He referred to it as his "Golden Ticket". Another rarely works a full 80 hours and is rarely on time all thanks to FMLA.

No...not everyone is like this. Some people have legitimate reasons. These people cast doubt on legitimate claims.

What does FMLA mean to me? F*** My Life Already [/rant]
    When I sprained my ankle my boss had me file under them even though P&P says my job is safe as long as I have a doctor's note and a specific amount of time between leaving and comming back. I was only out for less than a week and to return with a walking splint and sneakers which are against the dress code without a doc's note.
    I wound up losing a week of pay because i wasn't allowed to use my PTO and I wasn't out long enough for them to pay me for missed time from work.
    Than a month later, I wasn't able to clock in or out or access anything online to do my mangagerial work because someone messed up and thought I was supposed to be out of work for a week, when I had already missed my week.

In a nutshell, I will NEVER go near them again. if I break my ankle, you can bet your boots, I won't call out ever again. :grumble:
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    FMLA can be taken on an intermittent basis as well as an extended period of time. I currently have intermittent FMLA because I have Menieres disease. It is a federal law that you must follow as an employer. There doctor has to sign off on this so if they are having panic attacks then assume that they are having panic attacks. If you have never had a panic attack then I wouldn't judge someone who does. Drinking alcohol can bring this on and maybe this person doesn't realize it. Don't be so quick to judge because something could happen to you someday. Depression, anxiety, cancer, etc. What you put out into the world always comes back to you, so be careful what you say about others.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the FMLA is not being managed appropriately!

FMLA is designed for a documented serious health condition of yourself or a dependent (keeping the explanation simple here). A person can only get up to 12 weeks of FMLA job protection which does NOT have to be consecutive. So an hour here or there can be counted towards the 12 weeks.

Again, the serious health condition needs to be document which usually involves the employer having the employee take a form to their doctor for documenting things like: Will this person require a leave of absence? Will the peron require intermittent time off work? Etc, etc.

For someone to just call into work and say it's FMLA leave, it sounds to me like it's poor management. Of coarse, if the one individual has documented that they truly do have "anxiety attacks" then they do get a free pass so to speak. However, it is limited to 12 weeks worth of time and it is ultimately up to the employer to manage it.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    FMLA can be taken on an intermittent basis as well as an extended period of time. I currently have intermittent FMLA because I have Menieres disease. It is a federal law that you must follow as an employer. There doctor has to sign off on this so if they are having panic attacks then assume that they are having panic attacks. If you have never had a panic attack then I wouldn't judge someone who does. Drinking alcohol can bring this on and maybe this person doesn't realize it. Don't be so quick to judge because something could happen to you someday. Depression, anxiety, cancer, etc. What you put out into the world always comes back to you, so be careful what you say about others.
    I am judging because I have the full story. She told me she was sick, but was GOING to use FMLA to avoid getting fired. He left because he had already mentioned he didn't feel like being at work. He said he had Gears Of War waiting for him at home.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I agree with you in that anything can happen to anyone of us at anytime that may put us in a position to use this FMLA. I also feel though that in this case from the information given that the employee needs to stop abusing the system and stop drinking if this is causing him/her to have anxiety attacks. I would think the Dr. Who made the diagnosis would have given information on how to manage this and maybe even perscribed meds if it was serious enough.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    She is out again today.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Wow. That sucks. I live in Louisiana, which is one of only two "right to work" states. Sounds like a positive thing from the title, but what it really means is that unions have absolutely no power. An employer can let someone go without a stated reason. Those people wouldn't have survived here.
    Actually there are 22 right to work states.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I am judging because I have the full story. She told me she was sick, but was GOING to use FMLA to avoid getting fired. He left because he had already mentioned he didn't feel like being at work. He said he had Gears Of War waiting for him at home.

I've been in this position before, as a manager having many employees on FMLA. You're correct that they are "protected", but I would definitely report to HR what you were told was the real reason they were going to be out. I agree that FMLA can be a wonderful program for those who really need it. However, it is also abused by many people, which can be frustrating when you're trying to run a business.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was on intermittent FMLA for a while. I have Lupus, and had a subsequent kidney issue that I needed to be on Chemo for. As much as I tried to make it into work every day, there were some where I literally didn't have the strength to pick up the phone to call my boss and just couldn't. I know have it worked out with my boss and HR that I can leave whenever I want to use FMLA because my mom is terminally ill and is on the other side of the country, so if I need to hop a plane and get out there, I can. I have truly learned to appreciate such benefits as FMLA, and it pisses me off to know that people abuse it!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    How exactly does their absence from work impact you? Do you have to do more work? Some people will work the system. They only get 12 weeks a year under the law.

Even in right to work states you still can be eligible for FMLA because it is a federal statute.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I was on intermittent FMLA for a while. I have Lupus, and had a subsequent kidney issue that I needed to be on Chemo for. As much as I tried to make it into work every day, there were some where I literally didn't have the strength to pick up the phone to call my boss and just couldn't. I know have it worked out with my boss and HR that I can leave whenever I want to use FMLA because my mom is terminally ill and is on the other side of the country, so if I need to hop a plane and get out there, I can. I have truly learned to appreciate such benefits as FMLA, and it pisses me off to know that people abuse it!
    Don't get me wrong. I am strictly addressing the people who knowingly abuse the system. The one girl that is always late...she has a legit medical condition. I also know when she just doesn't feel like getting here on time, she uses FMLA as a cover.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Family and Medical Leave Act

ETA: All the info you need to know about FMLA. http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm